Chapala.com Webboard

Mexico Covid Deaths Now 3rd Highest in World

Bisbee Gal

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/01/29/world/covid-19-coronavirus#mexico-coronavirus-deaths

Mexico’s confirmed coronavirus death toll surpassed India’s on Thursday to become the world’s third-highest, after months in which President Andrés Manuel López Obrador downplayed the virus as his government scrambled to control it.

As of Friday morning, Mexico had recorded 155,145 coronavirus deaths during the pandemic, according to a New York Times database. That is about 66,000 less than the official death toll in Brazil, the hardest-hit country after the United States.

Hospitals nationwide, particularly in Mexico City, are straining to provide beds and ventilators. Doctors are overwhelmed. People have been lining up to refill tanks of oxygen for relatives who are gasping for air in their homes.

Mexico has reported more than 1.8 million cases, and its caseload has surged since early December. The daily average number of new infections over the past week — 16,319 — was the seventh-highest in the world, just behind France.

The country’s death toll has been rising quickly, too, even as Mr. López Obrador insists that the end of the pandemic’s devastation is just around the corner. The average of 1,281 daily deaths in Mexico over the past week is higher than Britain’s and second only to the United States’.

And for all that, the disease’s true impact on Mexico is probably far worse than official figures indicate.

Testing levels are low, and many infected people are staying home because they distrust hospitals. A New York Times investigation found in May that the government was not reporting hundreds, possibly thousands, of coronavirus deaths in Mexico City.

When Mr. López Obrador said this week that he, too, had the virus, few Mexicans were surprised. He had spent months minimizing the pandemic by claiming that religious amulets protected him, for example, and refusing to wear a mask.

• Like 1

On 1/29/2021 at 6:28 AM, Bisbee Gal said:

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/01/29/world/covid-19-coronavirus#mexico-coronavirus-deaths

Mexico’s confirmed coronavirus death toll surpassed India’s on Thursday to become the world’s third-highest, after months in which President Andrés Manuel López Obrador downplayed the virus as his government scrambled to control it.

As of Friday morning, Mexico had recorded 155,145 coronavirus deaths during the pandemic, according to a New York Times database. That is about 66,000 less than the official death toll in Brazil, the hardest-hit country after the United States.

Hospitals nationwide, particularly in Mexico City, are straining to provide beds and ventilators. Doctors are overwhelmed. People have been lining up to refill tanks of oxygen for relatives who are gasping for air in their homes.

Mexico has reported more than 1.8 million cases, and its caseload has surged since early December. The daily average number of new infections over the past week — 16,319 — was the seventh-highest in the world, just behind France.

The country’s death toll has been rising quickly, too, even as Mr. López Obrador insists that the end of the pandemic’s devastation is just around the corner. The average of 1,281 daily deaths in Mexico over the past week is higher than Britain’s and second only to the United States’.

And for all that, the disease’s true impact on Mexico is probably far worse than official figures indicate.

Testing levels are low, and many infected people are staying home because they distrust hospitals. A New York Times investigation found in May that the government was not reporting hundreds, possibly thousands, of coronavirus deaths in Mexico City.

When Mr. López Obrador said this week that he, too, had the virus, few Mexicans were surprised. He had spent months minimizing the pandemic by claiming that religious amulets protected him, for example, and refusing to wear a mask.

Many Canadian friends who've arrived over the past few months have simply, on their own, without any enforcement, self-quarantined. (Some for up to 14 days.)  Not sure that we actually know of any who have not.  We do know of others from the U.S. (fleeing Covid infested states) who have not evidenced the same level of concern.  Further, there are establishments here in the Lakeside communities (bars and restaurants) that are not even close to conforming with the current restrictions.  If Jalisco officials are really concerned about the rapidly increasing Covid cases and deaths, why are they not inspecting and immediately closing down any business that is not adhering to the regulations? 

Want evidence?  Take a drive south on Gonzalez Gallo in San Antonio Tlayacapan around 1:00pm most week days.  Take a drive going west on 16 de Septiembre from Juan Alvarez in Ajijic during the evening on a Friday or Saturday.  Drive around almost anywhere in La Floresta on a weekend and when you pass a home that has an abundance of cars outside; loud music from the house and beer bottles all over the lawn, you can be assured that it's not the result of "party happy" foreign senior citizens.  It's mindless escapees from GDL who know that the same restrictions in place in the city are simply not being enforced here!  And.....they don't have the slightest concern about the people who live here......including not just the expats but also our Mexican neighbours and friends.

Perhaps someone who's bilingual and also cares could translate the foregoing and see that it gets to Jalisco's governor.  The sooner the better!

21 minutes ago, Carnivore said:

Many Canadian friends who've arrived over the past few months have simply, on their own, without any enforcement, self-quarantined. (Some for up to 14 days.)  Not sure that we actually know of any who have not.  We do know of others from the U.S. (fleeing Covid infested states) who have not evidenced the same level of concern.  Further, there are establishments here in the Lakeside communities (bars and restaurants) that are not even close to conforming with the current restrictions.  If Jalisco officials are really concerned about the rapidly increasing Covid cases and deaths, why are they not inspecting and immediately closing down any business that is not adhering to the regulations? 

Want evidence?  Take a drive south on Gonzalez Gallo in San Antonio Tlayacapan around 1:00pm most week days.  Take a drive going west on 16 de Septiembre from Juan Alvarez in Ajijic during the evening on a Friday or Saturday.  Drive around almost anywhere in La Floresta on a weekend and when you pass a home that has an abundance of cars outside; loud music from the house and beer bottles all over the lawn, you can be assured that it's not the result of "party happy" foreign senior citizens.  It's mindless escapees from GDL who know that the same restrictions in place in the city are simply not being enforced here!  And.....they don't have the slightest concern about the people who live here......including not just the expats but also our Mexican neighbours and friends.

Perhaps someone who's bilingual and also cares could translate the foregoing and see that it gets to Jalisco's governor.  The sooner the better!

"We do know of others from the U.S. (fleeing Covid infested states) who have not evidenced the same level of concern." And just what evidence do you have regarding this? Why is there some here (Canadians?) constantly degrading Americans? I happen to be half Canadian (on my mothers side) so have no dog in this fight...just an observation!!! 

33 minutes ago, gringohombre said:

"We do know of others from the U.S. (fleeing Covid infested states) who have not evidenced the same level of concern." And just what evidence do you have regarding this? Why is there some here (Canadians?) constantly degrading Americans? I happen to be half Canadian (on my mothers side) so have no dog in this fight...just an observation!!! 

Evidence? The poster stated their own experience and observation among the Canadians and Americans they happen to personally know. You want them to swear out a notarized affidavit?

And you don't think the infection rates of various countries reflect whether its residents take the recommended precautions seriously and follow them?

If I say that in my experience Labs make better pets if you have children than German Shepherds do, that doesn't mean I'm "degrading" German Shepherds. 

41 minutes ago, Upfront said:

you assume because we as americans are pointed to that he is degrading canadians? why not africans? the irish? penguins? nope, just you and your spiteful attitude again

Cannot you read plain English? Did I not I say "Why is there some here (Canadians?) constantly degrading Americans?" And did I not quote him directly "We do know of others from the U.S. (fleeing Covid infested states) who have not evidenced the same level of concern."  Pleeeese...get a grip!!! Where did I say he is degrading Canadians???

1 hour ago, Upfront said:

first that is obsolutely not teh reason for self quarantine

second do you?

Not the reason????... if you were in a restaurant you could have been exposed.... If you were in Walmart you could have been exposed... If you visited with friends you could have been exposed.  So it is a valid question. 

Do I?  No Why?  Because I wear a KN95 mask properly, use gel, wash my hands, and social distance. So the odds I have it are extremely small. 

If I drove to Ajijic from my house in Texas where I  had been taking normal precautions am I any more likely to have covid than someone in Ajijic who used their ATM, went to Walmart, and then a restaurant??

43 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

Evidence? The poster stated their own experience and observation among the Canadians and Americans they happen to personally know. You want them to swear out a notarized affidavit?

And you don't think the infection rates of various countries reflect whether its residents take the recommended precautions seriously and follow them?

If I say that in my experience Labs make better pets if you have children than German Shepherds do, that doesn't mean I'm "degrading" German Shepherds. 

How can you not see a problem in someone using generalities from a few observations do degrade a whole nationality of people??? Your dog analogy makes no sense, since if this were true, I am sure that there would have been published studies on it to back up the claim.   

3 hours ago, gringohombre said:

How can you not see a problem in someone using generalities from a few observations do degrade a whole nationality of people??? 

The poster you were referencing said no such thing. He didn't generalize, he spoke of his own experience.

"Many Canadian friends who've arrived over the past few months have simply, on their own, without any enforcementself-quarantined. (Some for up to 14 days.)  Not sure that we actually know of any who have not.  We do know of others from the U.S. (fleeing Covid infested states) who have not evidenced the same level of concern".

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mudgirl said:

The poster you were referencing said no such thing. He didn't generalize, he spoke of his own experience.

"Many Canadian friends who've arrived over the past few months have simply, on their own, without any enforcementself-quarantined. (Some for up to 14 days.)  Not sure that we actually know of any who have not.  We do know of others from the U.S. (fleeing Covid infested states) who have not evidenced the same level of concern".

If that is not generalizing I do not know what is!!!

16 minutes ago, Upfront said:

you said it, exactly. you blamed canadians for constantly degrading americans. and if that is not attacking and degrading canadians then i dont know what is.

seems you are the one who not only cannot read plain english you cant write it either.

You said "you assume because we as americans are pointed to that he is degrading canadians?" You said that. I would suggest that in future posts maybe you should have an editor by your side!!! Also, you saying that others cannot write English makes me laugh!!! 

8 hours ago, Upfront said:

quarantine is designed for trips and travel not jaunts to the store 

Wow  what an illogical statement.

To think that someone who came from a different place would be more dangerous than say a Walmart cashier who lives in a house in Chapala with multiple family members, and reuses disposable masks or uses non-disposable masks without  proper cleaning between uses. 

The science has shown in many studies that wearing a KN95 mask (properly), using gel, hand washing, and avoiding prolonged exposure prevents transmission to those using the same regimen. 

So while you may emotionally think  "jaunts to the store"  don't count  They do.  

50 minutes ago, Upfront said:

you are sadly misinformed. you have over the recent years gone from using the avatar of an :() in a sombrero who knew nothing to someone who gets all his info from google and tries to pass it of as knowledge. and yet you use that knowledge so ill advisedly and out of step with the conversations that i now wonder why i bother with you

And why does anyone bother with YOU??? Why do you feel like you have to blab, blab and blab more about every topic here??? And is your Caps key locked in the off position???

14 hours ago, Upfront said:

you are sadly misinformed. you have over the recent years gone from using the avatar of an :() in a sombrero who knew nothing to someone who gets all his info from google and tries to pass it of as knowledge. and yet you use that knowledge so ill advisedly and out of step with the conversations that i now wonder why i bother with you

Please ignore me. It makes a lot of sense for you. 

Que tiene un buen dia

P.S.  Google is a search engine that I don't use very often

• Like 1

On 2/4/2021 at 10:19 AM, All Day said:

Que tenga

Actually it is  Que tenga un buen día.  If you want to be grammatically correct.  Only 50 years with Spanish,  My English is worse.

But I don't really care about my grammar when someone tries but fails miserably in an attempt to insult me.  So hopefully they won't bother with my posts.