Chapala.com Webboard

Mexico population trends

Mainecoons

We see far fewer teen girls with babies here than we did when we first arrived in 2008.  And we know of more small families, 1 or 2 kids.  Access to birth control and family planning education via this local non-profit has helped a lot.  

https://www.cedejo.org/

• Like 1

yes and it is the same  with many ouner indigenous.. Girls are still getting married very young but they do not have many children as their mothers and aunts used to have.. When I say very young I mean 14 and 15.. they move in with a boy  and then get married in Church when they have the money.. many do not get married at city hall because it cost money to divorce....

My wife is the oldest of 14, but 4 is the most any of her brothers and sisters have. One young niece has 4 already and her young sister has 3 already. Both just as poor as can be, but get that free milk. No education, just like both parents. Sad.

Yes that is pretty sad but lots of family are in the same place although they are becoming  less and less from what I see in the comunities.. There there is very little free milk as women prefer breastfeeding and do so until the kids  get bored with it.  I know a little girl who lost her mother at birth and was raised on atole.. no milk in that area and no cows either... SHe is now a beautiful 15 year old , she lives on a very isolated farm, hopefully she will not meet a boy too  soon..

• Thanks 1

I had a cleaner for 5 years who had 3 kids and not planning to have anymore. She's a Jehovah's Witness and I asked her if they believe in birth control, to which she replied "Definitely."

Maybe as many Mexicans are now adherents of other religious beliefs, or none, rather than being Catholic (I know many who aren't), there is more birth control being practiced?

yes many women get their tubes tied after they have what they want to be their last child, many use IUD and that includes catholics and evangelists. I know a very smart young woman of 25, she did not want more than two children, after the first she got an IUD, the thing failed and she now has another baby and got sterilized.. I have heard of many who get sterilized or practice birth control no matter their religion. 

Some years ago I went to a mass in Ajijic at comunion time, there were very few women  and many men. I asked my friend who always went to comunion why she did not when her husband did. She told me the priest told the wome in the confesson booth they could not have communion if they toof birth control.. I could not believe it.. but that what going on about 6 or 7 years ago in Ajijic...The priest is long gone thank God.. 

My ex-landlord told us her great great grandfather had a large farm just after the turn of the 1800's.. I think northeast Jalisco. He legally married her mother, but had a large number of women he would keep and build a small house for them. It was estimated that he sired 90 children! He was a passionate gambler as well as lover though. One night he put up the whole farm as a stake - and lost. The winner of the bet allowed her mother to keep her house and a bit of property, everyone else had to move out.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/27/2021 at 7:47 AM, Bisbee Gal said:

We see far fewer teen girls with babies here than we did when we first arrived in 2008.  And we know of more small families, 1 or 2 kids.  Access to birth control and family planning education via this local non-profit has helped a lot.  

https://www.cedejo.org/

I have observed the same since I came here in 1987 And kids are getting more expensive to raise.

I think the declining birth rate in Mexico has been based, to a large extent, on two main factors: the introduction of sex education in the public schools and raising the age of consent. Both of these concepts faced considerable resistance at first from religious and cultural organizations. The state of Jalisco was much more progressive in implementing these innovations than most other states and set an example for the rest to follow.

I know many girls who are not 18 and eloped to the house of the boyfriend and get married after they get 18 or when the boyfriend has more money. I was just invited to the wedding of a friend who is 38 and has been with her huband since she was 14.. He was 24.. They just got married, have 3 children  and no more planned.  Her oldest boy is 21 and has one chld after 3 years of living with his wife.  So less children bit in indigenous areas girls elope  at a very young age.and then get married but do not have a child every year like their grandmother did.

I have noticed the same in the last 30 years. Encouraging signs.

My Mexican family has 9 children but only 12 grandchildren with maybe no more of the latter to come.

Mass worldwide media access also plays a part, I think. When girls see those their age in other cultures doing interesting things with their lives, having higher education and career goals, they start to see that having your first baby at 15 and spending your life looking after a pack of kids, cooking and cleaning and doing laundry all day might not be the best choice and feel empowered to follow their dreams.

Just as they are influenced by the fashions they see being worn outside their own little world, they are influenced by seeing that there are alternatives to the way their mothers and grandmothers lived.

• Like 2