Chapala.com Webboard

Social security benefit statement question

kmetzger

For years, I have received my social security benefit statement via the Mexican post office. This year, I fear I won't. In March the tax refund check mailed to me by the IRS was returned to the IRS. A letter from my German bank was returned to my German bank. I have not received a single magazine I subscribe to since July. Who knows what else simply hasn't been delivered. Now I need my social security statement urgently for my 2020 tax return. Does anyone know if the US Consulate could help?

I don't know at all if this will help you.

Besides the 1-800 number to call Social Security in the U.S. which is difficult to do unless you have a U.S. Skype account, or go to one of the calling booths in the villages that charge for calls, you might try to find a local SS office in the state where you used to live. Sometimes local offices can do stuff more surely, especially if you are from a smaller city or town.

I went into mysocialsecurity.gov and found no way to contact them regarding year ending financial documents.

I have found that SS relies on faxing internationally, but they do not rely on scanning documents.

In the end, if they are willing to re-generate the year ending statement, you can have them Fed X collect it to you here perhaps.

If you know your amount received for 2020 from SS, you can still do a tax return without having the document from SS. The IRS will have received the same statement you would have gotten from SS. Just because you don't have the document, if you know or can find out how much SS sent you in 2020, you CAN STILL DO YOUR RETURN without the SS benefits paid document.

If you have just one monthly statement, you will be able to take that times 12 for all categories of income and deductions they took for Medicare Part B, etc.

Otherwise, just try to contact SS and see if they have a way to get you a copy of the statement by courier.

They don't seem to do email with scans.

The consulate was helping people on a limited emergency basis three or four months ago, but I have heard they are even more limited than before and sent their personnel home to the U.S.

You could try the embassy in Mexico City and see how they might help you.

Sorry, not much help this post.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, kmetzger said:

For years, I have received my social security benefit statement via the Mexican post office. This year, I fear I won't. In March the tax refund check mailed to me by the IRS was returned to the IRS. A letter from my German bank was returned to my German bank. I have not received a single magazine I subscribe to since July. Who knows what else simply hasn't been delivered. Now I need my social security statement urgently for my 2020 tax return. Does anyone know if the US Consulate could help?

You can sign up for a paperless statement here: https://www.ssa.gov  If you use a tax preparer, ask the person to have your tax refund deposited directly to your bank account. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, FlyFree said:

You can sign up for a paperless statement here: https://www.ssa.gov   

Just tried to sign up. But I don't have a US mailing address 

You must be able to verify some information about yourself and:

- Have a valid email address;
- Have a Social Security number;
- Have a U.S. mailing address 

Second FlyFree   

Basically you can do all that is needed on the website.   I would think you might have someone who would let you use their address in the USA for the purpose of opening the  account. Once opened you can change your official address after a while. 

If not the consulate in GDL has a Federal Benefits Unit than can help. The email is      fbu.guadalajara@ssa.gov  You need to include your full name and SS# in the body of the email. 

29 minutes ago, southland said:

I don't know at all if this will help you.

Besides the 1-800 number to call Social Security in the U.S. which is difficult to do unless you have a U.S. Skype account, or go to one of the calling booths in the villages that charge for calls, you might try to find a local SS office in the state where you used to live. Sometimes local offices can do stuff more surely, especially if you are from a smaller city or town.

I went into mysocialsecurity.gov and found no way to contact them regarding year ending financial documents.

I have found that SS relies on faxing internationally, but they do not rely on scanning documents.

In the end, if they are willing to re-generate the year ending statement, you can have them Fed X collect it to you here perhaps.

If you know your amount received for 2020 from SS, you can still do a tax return without having the document from SS. The IRS will have received the same statement you would have gotten from SS. Just because you don't have the document, if you know or can find out how much SS sent you in 2020, you CAN STILL DO YOUR RETURN without the SS benefits paid document.

If you have just one monthly statement, you will be able to take that times 12 for all categories of income and deductions they took for Medicare Part B, etc.

Otherwise, just try to contact SS and see if they have a way to get you a copy of the statement by courier.

They don't seem to do email with scans.

The consulate was helping people on a limited emergency basis three or four months ago, but I have heard they are even more limited than before and sent their personnel home to the U.S.

You could try the embassy in Mexico City and see how they might help you.

Sorry, not much help this post.

That information is available on the website   The current status is: 

New 2020 SSA-1099/1042S Benefit Statements are currently being mailed.

Replacement 2020 SSA-1099/SSA-1042S Benefit Statements will be available here, after January 31, 2021.

Just click on the right side of the page replacement documents after Jan 31

3 hours ago, southland said:

Yes, helpful Post.  IF you have US Medicare, don't forget the Part B part of his comments. If you don't have Medicare, it's just 12 times the SS amount you are getting monthly. BUT everyone's Part B is potentially not quite the same so you might have to do some digging to find out the amount that is taken out of you SS payment for Part B. Won't be the same as you 2019 amount either. 

I have often used the SS office at the Consulate in Guadalajara. Very helpful. Always get a phone call back within 24 hours of sending an email to Señora Ana Isabel Becerra, fbu.guadalajara@ssa.gov  like Mostlylost said.

I am pretty sure you can get help solving your problem.