Chapala.com Webboard

Q: House for sale, with “Potable Water, Purification System, Municipal Water”?!

Bob Liu

4 hours ago, Upfront said:

you must have some tough friends. when i point out that water is not good from the taps they instantly start using bottled everywhere in the house and of course asking about restaurnts

Watching them brush teeth and staring at my sign and sticking toothbrush under the tap........I have to admit you must have smarter friends than mine 🙂

Mexican engineers have still not figured out how to keep their used water separate from their drinking water. It is not that complicated. It might always be a problem.

• Sad 2

I flush out my on demand water heater (no tank) once a year. Vinegar, bucket and a very small fountain pump to cycle the vinegar through the heating coils for an hour or so.  I once went to the trouble of posting photos and a detailed description here and the OP decided to delete the whole thread. I cannot tell you how pi$$ed off I was after that happened.

I've lived in my current house here for 8.5 years and the house is about 10 years old.  The water system is Puro Mexicano, and I still don't understand how it all works.  The water is very hard and leaves deposits on your sinks and faucets, etc and are hard to clean.  Extra sprayed vinegar helps.  i use a solution of cider vinegar and bottle water to rinse my hair and face, comes out much better.  The water guys drive by every so often to deliver, you just have to run out when they are there - and get to know them and their routines.  The carry the water into my house and put it in the "tipador." I give them an extra 10 pesos for that.   I have to get the tinaco cleaned every couple months - but I didn't even know that and lived here for 3 years before I found out!  The other places I've lived, I did not have to do that, and I don't know why.  Mexican landlords may not explain these things to you because they think it's common knowledge or something.  The unfiltered water here can also gunk up your plumbing.  I have become slowly shocked at how often I need minor repairs done around here.  I brush my teeth with tap water, and recently it tastes funny.  My maid told me sometimes tree roots grow into the pozo.  Don't most gringos live in houses with completely filtered water?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ezpz said:

I've lived in my current house here for 8.5 years and the house is about 10 years old.  The water system is Puro Mexicano, and I still don't understand how it all works.  The water is very hard and leaves deposits on your sinks and faucets, etc and are hard to clean.  Extra sprayed vinegar helps.  i use a solution of cider vinegar and bottle water to rinse my hair and face, comes out much better.  The water guys drive by every so often to deliver, you just have to run out when they are there - and get to know them and their routines.  The carry the water into my house and put it in the "tipador." I give them an extra 10 pesos for that.   I have to get the tinaco cleaned every couple months - but I didn't even know that and lived here for 3 years before I found out!  The other places I've lived, I did not have to do that, and I don't know why.  Mexican landlords may not explain these things to you because they think it's common knowledge or something.  The unfiltered water here can also gunk up your plumbing.  I have become slowly shocked at how often I need minor repairs done around here.  I brush my teeth with tap water, and recently it tastes funny.  My maid told me sometimes tree roots grow into the pozo.  Don't most gringos live in houses with completely filtered water?

Tinacoe cleaned every couple of months -you must have dirty water coming to you house. Mine needed cleaning every couple of years.

Municipal water may start as potable and usually ends up not potable ..  as a precaution people drink bottle water or have some system. We drink bottle water but cook with the municipal water, bathe in it and wash our teeth in it and have not been sick for many years.. I think it all depends where you live ..

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Upfront said:

i guess. but this is mexico. how can anybody ignore being told DO NOT DRINK THE WATER. tv commericals about getting sick in mexico have people scared to death and they buy all kinda expensive meds long before they get here. cant imagine they would not be very aware

My friend who did this lives in the boondocks and has a very clean well.  After living in that house for 30 years he can't imagine water coming out of a tap could be bad. He also is extremely well educated so its not a stupid issue.  He has become sick many times in Mexico and I don't wonder why.  I find it easier to give him clean water than to expect him to read and follow the sign.  Yes people do stuff like this over and over.  I suppose I could play Darwin but having a guest throwing up in your house is not cool.