Chapala.com Webboard

Q: House for sale, with “Potable Water, Purification System, Municipal Water”?!

Bob Liu

As a newbie looking into Lakeside's real estates, these "water" information are confusing me.
* People buy drinking water. So what is “Potable Water” or “Purification System” for? Or we really can drink water from these “things” mentioned?
* Is there any water not “Municipal Water”?

I think I could ask a realtor. But I think people there would tell me more about the truth. : ) Thanks.

The water from the municipal is not potable.  When run through a purification system it is potable.  Some fraccs have potable water from the tap like Chula Vista because they have their own well and the pipes are not too old.   But some fracc water is not safe.  Otherwise, bottled water is the go to source for potable water.

• Thanks 1

Those big jugs of water are a real hassle to deal with. So some developments may have their own filtration system and some private homes may have their own purification system.

I still use the jugs but I'm thinking about getting a filter set up for under my kitchen sink. I don't care about showering or washing dishes in what comes out of the tap. The water delivery guys almost never show up when I call them, and those jugs are much to heavy for me to haul from the store to my car and then into the house. I'm gonna put my back out one of these days if I continue with that much longer.

• Like 1

Ok two types of systems.  Reverse osmosis for under kitchen sink use (low volume production) or whole house system containing particle filter, Carbon/charcoal block filter, and than the water goes thru a ultra violet light (UV).  Not to panic but this is my experience with the water.  Tested water from the water line coming in the house. It was not potable putting it mildly.  I don't care to shower in crap no less drinking it. Lab tests don't lie.   Filter your water.   I consider it mandatory in a house and will put a system in even if the rental doesn't have it.  I also find jug water to be tasteless others love it.  Your mileage may vary.  Some people drink the water and have no problems but I can't see visitors doing so well with contaminated water.  Good Luck and enjoy house shopping!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Municipal water here comes from many different wells. SIMAPA is charged by federal law with doing a test on each well once a year. Unfortunately that is not always done, and there is no way to know what contaminates the well that serves you might have.

You should  get an independent water test to see what is in the water. Only then can you determine your needs. 

This would apply to a house you buy with a system installed as well.

• Thanks 1

Municipal water often is not potable depending what well (s) it comes from and the condition of the water lines. If you just want potable water in you kitchen reverse osmois under the sink is fine. If you want potable water in your bathrooms also a whole house purification is needed. It involves filters ( many people use paper or twine filters but a sand filter may be better as you don't have to buy new filters-you just backwash the sand filter) and UV light. Just make sure the water you purify is not used to water your garden or your filters will need changeing too often. The source of water for some garafons is suspect. Garafons can be awkard to use. What ever you use you should have the water tested. Bottled water is probably not from local municipal water.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lcscats said:

whole house system containing particle filter, Carbon/charcoal block filter, and than the water goes thru a ultra violet light (UV).

This is a good default reco to go with to look after the whole house.    Doesn't use much space and you change the filters 1 to 2 x per year and the UV lamp bulb 1x and have good quality potable water and peace of mind while adding value to the home.      Some folks add water softening on top, to avoid scale and spotting, since most wells at lakeside run very hard to ultra hard on the water mineral content.....which is actually good for the body and taste, just a bit tough on other things like water heaters, glass and chrome surfaces.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The garrafons are not only hazardous to your back. I stopped using them after dropping a couple precariously close to my feet. They are very heavy when full of water and a bone broken on the top of your foot or a toe is very painful.

Best setup (for the worst water) I've seen was in a house we rented in La Huerta.... purification achieved with two filters and a uv light and a water softener. Under the kitchen sink was a reverse osmosis system for drinking water which provided extra filtration and purification and removed the excess sodium from the softener.

https://www.raynewater.com/blog/how-to-remove-salt-from-water/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have had the undersink installed. Aquagente has a promotion, 30 pesos for the first month including equipment and installation.

A handyman told us that we should have another type of water softener, as per Ferret's article, for the intake side of the on demand water heater, to reduce calcium and magnesium deposits inside the heater. Does not have to be super high volume, like a whole house system. Is there such a thing here?

Our water here in Chapala Haciendas is very good quality and a new well is being drilled because the old one got damaged while servicing. The water table is fed by a nature protected area, only existing developments.

• Thanks 1

Water does not come from the lake but does come from wells unfiltered and no chlorine is added.  The pipes are also old in many places.  We have a settling trap, a sand filter, a sediment filter, and a charcoal filter.  Then it goes through an ultraviolet light tube.  Been here several years and no problems.  You notice that it is hard water and many people use a softener.  Not having chlorine added makes calcium easier to absorb, thyroid problems reduced, and your fingernails grow faster and stronger according to the internet which is, of course, 100% accurate.  I notice the "swimming poo"l odor in the tap water when we travel back to the states.  I don't miss that even if that was the only real benefit.  Alan

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have had good luck with Simapa giving me a one page analysis of all the "pozos" (wells) that serve Lakeside. You just gotta ask which pozo # serves your street. On the analysis are 15 or so elements the laboratory in El Salto checks for. I believe even turbidity which to me just means cloudy water from runoff is rated. Anyway, a trip to Simapa after the Jan through Feb rush to pay annual bills may be a pleasant way to discuss the needs of your particular water supply.

After being here a good number of years, I think the well can make a big difference.

The happiest people I know are the ones who pay some extra money for the large sand filters that feed a several part reverse osmosis system combined with UV light. A great system does cost some fairly serious money, but in the end is probably well worth it. A low maintenance system has benefits (not having to change out filters, just do backwashing).

The basic system of two canister filters (carbon and propylene) and a UV light I personally have never trusted. After two months, my well is so dirty that the filters are clogged, so how can I think water going through those dirty filters is good for me, even though that is the basic system many people use.

I put in a street filter 4 ft high cylinder with zeolite. It takes out at least half my dirty turbidity water and I only change filters a couple times a year now.

I don't drink water from my system but I feel a lot better bathing in filtered water.

I had a friend who put three of four drops into his garrafon of the bacteria cleaning solution used for cleaning veggies and fruits. It seemed not to affect the taste and can probably save a bacterial issue if you don't trust the garrafon supplier.

I also recycle my own 4 garrafones because I watch them clean my garrafones. If they don't rinse them well, the soap residue will lead to algae buildup and that is not good. Just some tips having lived her awhile.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

I would like to know what fraccs lakeside are adding chlorine? 

The one I live in now adds Cl on a daily basis via a Cl dispenser. The previous fracc only added it ocassionally.

A few years ago I had a tour of the water system (8wells) in Chapala. In one building (west of the tennis courts) they said they aded Cl.

• Thanks 1

I like brushing my teeth in purified water bathing and showering in clean water seems better as you can easily get some in your mouth. As to bathing-sitting in your own dirt!

• Like 1

I’d like to thank each and every one for your feedback posts.
Chapala.com Webboard told me,
“Sorry, you cannot add any more reactions today.” : )
I counted. It only allows 10 “reactions” in the last 24 hours.

OK. I’ll do it later. : )
I need to go back and re-read some of the posts anyway.
I appreciate it.

FireShot Capture 039 - Q_ House for sale, with “Potable Water, Purification System, Municipa_ - www.chapala.com.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cedros said:

I like brushing my teeth in purified water bathing and showering in clean water seems better as you can easily get some in your mouth. As to bathing-sitting in your own dirt!

I said bathe. FYI that word means cleaning oneself, whether it's in a shower, lake, river, or bathtub or simply with a washcloth.

I've lived in Mexico for 20 years and brush my teeth with tap water. Although I do advise family and friends who come to visit from elsewhere to use the purified water, as why risk getting something if you're on a 2 week holiday.

And why would adults get water in their mouth while showering? I never do and if a drop or two did get in, you'd have to have a really weak immune system for it to affect you.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, mudgirl said:

I said bathe. FYI that word means cleaning oneself, whether it's in a shower, lake, river, or bathtub or simply with a washcloth.

I've lived in Mexico for 20 years and brush my teeth with tap water. Although I do advise family and friends who come to visit from elsewhere to use the purified water, as why risk getting something if you're on a 2 week holiday.

And why would adults get water in their mouth while showering? I never do and if a drop or two did get in, you'd have to have a really weak immune system for it to affect you.

I like to brush my teeth while I shower.   I like to shower in clean water for obvious to me reasons.  I have never been able to train tourists to not drink the water so I use to put big signs on the bathroom mirrors.  Easier to clean the water.   I have no doubt you can drink the water.   Many can.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

I would like to know what fraccs lakeside are adding chlorine? 

Chula Vista considers the potable water delivered by it's two wells to be its most important feature.

Well water is chlorinated automatically and water tests are performed regularly by a  CONAGUA certified lab in Guadalajara.

We and our guests  have been drinking the water for the nine years we've lived here without ill effects. My only regret is without another source we use the same well water for bathing and irrigation.

SunFan 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, barrbower said:

Not having chlorine added makes calcium easier to absorb, thyroid problems reduced, and your fingernails grow faster and stronger according to the internet which is, of course, 100% accurate.  I notice the "swimming poo"l odor in the tap water when we travel back to the states.  I don't miss that

Agree 100% with this, chlorine is nasty, both taste, smell, and is a poison to the body.   And totally not necessary if one is filtering and UV-ing the water.    

17 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

A handyman told us that we should have another type of water softener, as per Ferret's article, for the intake side of the on demand water heater, to reduce calcium and magnesium deposits inside the heater. Does not have to be super high volume, like a whole house system. Is there such a thing here?

He may have meant using an electronic water descaler such as the Scalewatcher line of systems.     Yes, these are available locally and in our experience they do help significantly.   PM me for info.

• Like 1