Chapala.com Webboard

Even if you get COVID vaccine, airline passengers to U.S. must provide a negative COVID-19 test.

From https://mx.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/covid-19-information/ :
"Effective January 26, all airline passengers to the United States ages two years and older must provide a negative COVID-19 viral test taken within three calendar days of travel. Alternatively, travelers to the U.S. may provide documentation from a licensed health care provider of having recovered from COVID-19 in the 90 days preceding travel.  ... It applies to U.S. citizens, as well as foreign nationals, regardless of vaccination status."

It is repeated again on the same webpage:
"A negative viral COVID test or documentation of recovery is required for anyone traveling by air to the United States, including U.S. citizens and legal permanent residents age two and over, and regardless of vaccination status."

This appears to undermine confidence in the vaccine. And what happened to having a vaccine passport?

• Confused 1

While this is true, the opposite is also true....no evidence that it won't. And I've not seen any speculation from the makers or CDC on this point. Also no evidence at this point that someone who has already had the virus is any more likely to not shed than a person who has been immunized for 15+ days, but they are allowing the former to fly. 

Hopefully we'll have more data on these things by summer.

3 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

Possibly because there isn't anyone in the world at this time that could have had the 2 doses required and the 6 - 8 weeks after to take full effect??

Where are you getting the "6-8 weeks after"?  Everything I read says 15 days after the 2nd shot one should be 95%.

There are regional differences (countries, even states) of proof of covid vaccination.  Fear that fake documents could be had for a price (though of course, so could fake negative tests)?

Coming once vaccinations are the norm is a Vaccine Passport.  Most airlines want this badly by the end of this year.  But there are technical challenges to its creation for use worldwide.  Lots of $$$ being invested now to come up with a standardized vaccine passport.

https://www.iata.org/en/programs/passenger/travel-pass/

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/12/27/tech/coronavirus-vaccine-passport-apps/index.html

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/24/vaccine-passes-could-get-us-back-in-bars-.html

44 minutes ago, RickS said:

Where are you getting the "6-8 weeks after"?  Everything I read says 15 days after the 2nd shot one should be 95%.

To my best estimate that would fall between  6-8 weeks after first shot.  Now we are hearing some  will receive the 2nd shot more than 4 weeks after the first.

After one dose of either Pfizer or Moderna's vaccine, a person has around 50% immunity to the virus. However, the second dose brings it up to about 95%.

"Your immune system starts to kick in, but to really get to the peak efficacy that we all know as 95 percent, it's going to take two weeks after your second dose,"

As I said I don't think there is anyone in that category now possibly the exception would be those in the clinical trials. 

20 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

To my best estimate that would fall between  6-8 weeks after first shot.  Now we are hearing some  will receive the 2nd shot more than 4 weeks after the first.

Well, my point was that, before you went an edited your original message (.... and now it has been deleted all together!) you were saying 6-8 weeks after the second shot!  Current literature  says 15 days after the second shot... or your now 6-8 weeks after the first shot.

And your "some are saying" from above is not universal but more a results of there not being any vaccine.... in the US.... being held back by Operation Warp Speed as they said there was. So until that gets resolved, yes, some 'may' have to wait another week of so. BUT that is said to be a short term problem and I've heard no one suggest it will perpetuate itself affecting immunity. 

6 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

As I said I don't think there is anyone in that category now possibly the exception would be those in the clinical trials. 

Well, this is wrong. There are plenty of 'first line' folks who have had both shots and are past their 15 days. I know an "over 70" person who has had both shots and is in her second week approaching the 15 days. Had nothing to do with clinical trials.

BTW, the Pfizer shot only requires 3 weeks before the 2nd. Moderna requires 4 weeks. All of the original shots were Pfizer so from 1st shot to 15 days after the second is just 5 weeks, not 6-8. 

18 hours ago, RickS said:

opposite is also true....no evidence that it won't.

Not possible to prove a negative.....fundamental law of logic and science......so while it is possible that someone can be fully vaccinated and still be a carrier (hence the testing req't at least until the population is considered to be fully vaccinated / protected).....it is not possible to show that any person who is vaccinated, could definitely NOT be a carrier.     Typhoid Mary was "immune" and that did not go so well......    

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Go Solar said:

hence the testing req't at least until the population is considered to be fully vaccinated / protected).

Exactly right, and the term "herd immunity" has been incorrectly used / abused since the start of this thing.      People at first in some places wanted the virus to spread, to have "herd immunity"; small issue of killing 1 out of 50 that way or more, plus all the other long term health issues and system overloading = disaster scenario.     Good and safe vaccines to all, are the only way to achieve broad protection in the population which is why existing practices of distancing and masking will likely be in place most of this year, minimum, and beyond, in many parts of the world.

• Like 2