Chapala.com Webboard

Flying through US to Canada

Guiness

You might want to ensure that your PCR test will still be valid once you enter Canada. I pulled this from a news report from Jan 22 - "Canada already requires those entering the country to self-isolate for 14 days and to present a negative COVID-19 test taken within three days before arrival. The suggested measure would require isolating at a hotel rather than at home."

Here's the full report - https://apnews.com/article/travel-justin-trudeau-canada-coronavirus-pandemic-03ade79159d79080d1ec007ed07751bf?fbclid=IwAR0TO0d4wFtLCjFd084Umpt6qG0HFnsnwB-CbtZkRE1PJUAXG3mtT0OskHA

As for layover in the US - could depend on how many days the layover is and where, some states require quarantine. The PCR test comes into effect on the 26th.

39 minutes ago, WideSky said:

You might want to ensure that your PCR test will still be valid once you enter Canada. I pulled this from a news report from Jan 22 - "Canada already requires those entering the country to self-isolate for 14 days and to present a negative COVID-19 test taken within three days before arrival. The suggested measure would require isolating at a hotel rather than at home."

Here's the full report - https://apnews.com/article/travel-justin-trudeau-canada-coronavirus-pandemic-03ade79159d79080d1ec007ed07751bf?fbclid=IwAR0TO0d4wFtLCjFd084Umpt6qG0HFnsnwB-CbtZkRE1PJUAXG3mtT0OskHA

As for layover in the US - could depend on how many days the layover is and where, some states require quarantine. The PCR test comes into effect on the 26th.

For US, on the 26th and forward, PCR or the Antigen test.

2 hours ago, Guiness said:

Do you need to quarantine if you are in transit to Canada with lay over in US?

And be sure to follow the gov't daily check-in (self reporting for the 14 days) once in Canada, or they'll be calling you / door knocking....."there's an app for that"   🙂

Use ArriveCAN: Submit travel information to enter Canada - Canada.ca

• Like 1

Just now, TelsZ4 said:

The point in this post was the word “Transit”   The test has to be valid when you depart.. The airline will not let you board the flight unless it is..  As you are not leaving the airport you are not required to quarantine in the US..

Last time I was in transit in Dallas I stayed overnight in an off airport hotel as my next flight did not depart till the next day. . Now that would trigger a quarantine. 

2 hours ago, Guiness said:

Do you need to quarantine if you are in transit to Canada with lay over in US?

You do know that layover or not, you MUST quarantine in Canada upon arrival?  Same as would apply if flying direct. And be sure you have filled out the info (see GoSolar) in advance or you will have a LONG delay on arrival!

The Canadian Federal government is warning citizens not to travel and that more restrictions could be placed at any time that may significantly impede Canadians ability to return to or leave the country so hopefully you have some flexibility with your travel plans should you need to make any changes.  I wish you safe and happy travels.  

If you are flying to Canada it is better and much faster to avoid the US I find. I have flown to Canada 8 to 10 times and omly landced in the US once. If they can many people avoid the US.

• Like 2