Chapala.com Webboard

US to require COVID test and quarantine for arriving passengers on international flights.

nolajoe

37 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

With about 700,000 passengers arriving in the US daily I would like to know how the US government will be able to monitor the quarantine requirement?

The last full year's stats are 70 million international air passengers ANNUALLY; this was March 2019 to March 2020, so pretty much pre-covid.   70000000/365 = 191,000 per Day, and again that was PRE-Covid, certainly not 700K daily.  Estimates are that international air arrivals to US are down by 70-80%.  So maybe 50,000 a day arrivals.  

I do agree they won't be much if any monitoring.  

Data here, https://www.transportation.gov/sites/dot.gov/files/2020-12/US International Air Passenger and Freight Statistics for March 2020.pdf

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

With about 700,000 passengers arriving in the US daily I would like to know how the US government will be able to monitor the quarantine requirement?

Wouldn't the same rules apply to airlines that allow people without visas to fly, send them back at the airlines expense with a fine?

4 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:

Wouldn't the same rules apply to airlines that allow people without visas to fly, send them back at the airlines expense with a fine?

But the quarantine happens AFTER the person arrives, clears immigration, etc.  As far as the test: there were many articles re: airlines refusing boarding to international travelers bound for Canada without test results when that country instituted testing.  

2 minutes ago, Bisbee Gal said:

But the quarantine happens AFTER the person arrives, clears immigration, etc.  

The requirement for the test is known before the flight begins.

When I was in Asia on a US passport flying to Guadalajara via San Francisco, the Chinese airline made me show my RP visa before I was allowed to board their flight.

1 minute ago, AngusMactavish said:

The requirement for the test is known before the flight begins.

When I was in Asia on a US passport flying to Guadalajara via San Francisco, the Chinese airline made me show my RP visa before I was allowed to board their flight.

Airlines DO and WILL require the proof to board.  As I said, they are already doing that for countries that require tests now.  

Sorry, ma'am, I was replying to the question:

1 hour ago, Mostlylost said:

EDIT: OIC what you mean. Quarantine, LOL

Last message from Mexico City on Jan 15th

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Director has signed an order requiring all airline passengers traveling to the United States, including U.S. citizens and Lawful Permanent Residents (LPRs), to provide proof of  a negative COVID-19 viral test or recovery from COVID-19.

Effective January 26, all airline passengers to the United States ages two years and older must provide either a negative COVID-19 viral test taken within three calendar days of travel or provide a positive test result and documentation from a licensed health care provider or public health official of having recovered from COVID-19 in the 90 days preceding travel.  Passengers must also attest, under penalty of law, to having received a negative qualifying test result or to recovery from COVID-19 and medical clearance to travel.

See the CDC Proof of Negative Test Result page to view the order,  complete the attestation, and to see  FAQ’s.

Airlines must deny boarding to passengers who do not meet these requirements.

U.S. citizens in countries where adequate COVID-19 testing is not available or may not be able to satisfy the requirements, should depart immediately or prepare to be unable to return to the United States until such time as they can meet the requirements.

I am sure US, Mexican and other air carriers inbound to the US from outside the US, will do the same as what's been done vis a vis Canada. Prior to boarding the flight to the US.  

https://www.iheartradio.ca/610cktb/news/airlines-have-turned-away-hundreds-of-passengers-since-launch-of-new-canadian-testing-mandate-1.14364464#:~:text=Features-,Airlines have turned away hundreds of passengers,of new Canadian testing mandate&text=Bell said the travellers were,than 72 hours before departure.

Since the testing mandate went into effect on Jan. 7, WestJet has denied boarding to at least 385 guests because they did not meet the requirements, said spokeswoman Morgan Bell.

Similarly, Air Transat has denied boarding to at least 245 passengers for testing-related reasons since Jan. 7, said Debbie Cabana, a spokeswoman for the airline.

Bell said the travellers were turned away due to improper tests, antigen or antibody tests, rather than the required PCR test common in Canada, no test at all, or one taken more than 72 hours before departure.

``Our teams have been doing everything they can to assist guests and problem-solve in destinations across our network,'' Bell said. ``Our WestJet Vacations team is working in destinations with our hotel partners to facilitate and arrange PCR tests whenever available to best assist our guests.''