Chapala.com Webboard

Adelita's & Brew House - Ribs

Carnivore

Pork back ribs. We've heard many rumours about the source of their ribs (some make no sense).  Just curious.  We don't order their ribs simply because the sauce is overly sweet and it definitely detracts from a very presentable pork rib rack.  Recently we were told that the ribs come directly from a private farm on the western side of Jocotepec but we're not sure that's truthful.  We're not criticizing the meat in any way.  Presentable, tender, cooked appropriately but.....for ourselves and several other people we know well....the sauce simply doesn't do justice to the meat!

I agree the sauce is terrible.  I had a Mexican friend brag on the ribs but he has never tasted a good southern sauce. Actually I prefer the standard sized pork ribs with meat smoked so tender it falls off the bone.

Yup,only once and never again. I get incredible baby back ribs from Los 3 Butchery and do on my weber. A little garlic powder and touch of grated seasoned pepper,then to finish a VERY light glaze of hoisin  sauce. best ribs I have found here in 14 1/2 years. Also do them with just Hy's Season Salt,Lawry's Season Pepper and garlic powder or Woody's Cookin' Sauce applied lightly.

That excellent overview by the Guadalajara Reporter also included the name and phone number for Comnor in Zapopan, owned by Sigma foods. They claim 500 accounts in the Guadalajara area, including Superlake. This name has come up before, they carry premium imported foods and certified Angus beef from Sonora. Large, established restaurants, like Adelitas require these large foodservice companies to reliably supply their quality goods at wholesale, or close to wholesale, depending on their annual volumes. The name has come up before because I believe they will sell to the public, subject to a minimum order ( say 1,000 pesos). If you need a case of Philadelphia Cream cheese, a case of Hershey Kisses and a case of perfect steaks - this is the place to go.

https://clientes.sigmafoodservice.com/sigma/es/

I would sure love to slow smoke this rack of pork ribs. Imported from Snake River Farms. Of course in their writeup they claim this is the same quality as Wagyu beef but for pork. Berkshire black Hogs. Kurobata pork. Williams and Sonoma will sell you a 5 lb frozen pork belly from Snake River for $199 U.S.

https://clientes.sigmafoodservice.com/sigma/es/Catalogo/Cerdo/PORK-RACK-KUROBUTA-SRF/p/70040026

3 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

I guess we are weird.  We like the sauce.  :D 

Well, everyone has their own preferences when it comes to food. Vinegar, walnuts, pecans and goat cheese all taste disgusting to me.

It's also true that many people are accustommed to what others would consider overly sweet or salty foods. I have a hard time with eating out because most offerings are way overly salted for me.

And when I used to make a lot of jam, I was shocked that most jam recipes called for an equal amount of sugar as fruit. I would cut it in down to a third or quarter of the sugar and it was plenty sweet enough. I do the same with cookie and cake recipes.

I had heard that people's sense of taste and smell change as we age. I found an article on this.

https://www.comfortkeepers.com/info-center/category/senior-health-and-wellbeing/article/aging-gracefully-changes-in-the-taste-buds-and-sense-of-smell

One relative worked in an assisted living care home and one of the residents loved his hot sauce. He splashed it on everything. Then his doctor told him that he couldn't do this anymore, he asked if anyone liked spicy hot sauce. My name came up and he gifted it to me. It was the best I have ever tasted. It from the Carribean, Barbados I think, it was all yellow peppers with a scarlet Parrot on the label. Anyone know it? He was gone before I thought of visiting and asking. Shows that sometimes listening to your doctor might not always be the best for for your health!

The baby backs at Costco, as well as the spare ribs, are US pork and good for home use. Pancho's and SuperLake carry Stubbs bbq sauce, which in my opinion is the best bottled sauce. If you want to make a simple, but very good sauce, the one from Franklin Barbecue in Austin:

1 3/4 C ketchup

1/2C + 2 T water

1/4C + 1 T cider vinegar

1/4 C + 1 T white vinegar

1/4C + 1 1/2 t brown sugar

2 T + 1 1/2 t Worcestershire

1 T chile powder

1 T ground cumin

1 1/2 t Kosher salt

1 1/2 t coarse black pepper

Combine all ingredients and warm over med heat. No need to boil. Notes--the chile powder I split between regular and chipotle. I also add a bit of cayenne. I would cut the cumin a little.