Chapala.com Webboard

Driving to and in Mexico City

InChapala1

I’m visiting Mexico City for a week and considering driving to and in Mexico City. Given that I’ve heard about the bad traffic (and possibly restrictions on certain days), would you recommend driving in the city, especially in the Centro/downtown area? Am I permitted to drive a Jalisco plated car every day or are there any restrictions?

Considering driving because I want to avoid public transit (Metro/buses) in Mexico City due to the pandemic, but will consider flying there and taking taxis/Uber if driving my own car is not advisable. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, rafterbr said:

The auto restrictions in Mexico City are for age of car.  Older cars are allowed to only drive certain days.

Google Translation:

"= IMPORTANT NOTE =

The Tourist Pass is granted only to PRIVATEY OWNED gasoline and gas fuel vehicles from models 2008 to 2022.

The Tourist Pass is NOT valid on days when there is an environmental contingency.

Vehicles located in the CDMX and the State of Mexico will not be able to generate a Tourist Pass."

8 hours ago, MtnMama said:

Driving in Mexico City is not for the feint of heart. It makes Guadalajara look like a Sunday drive in a small town. I remember very fast traffic or major traffic jams and crazy drivers. Don't say you haven't been warned.

I have driven in Guadalajara quite a bit and have never found it to be difficult. Of course Mexico City is much larger and would be harder to navigate for someone unfamiliar with the streets, but then there is always Google to help one on one's way.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have driven in Mexico City with the help of a copilot because it is tougher if you do not know where you are going.. A gps I would think would be good to have., When there, I like to take taxis because I do not have to look for parking space or garages , I also like to enjoy the sights and it is much faster to take uber or cabs because they know their way around thetrafficjams and knowif there is anyproblemanywhere.

Before the ArcoNorte we would cross MexicoCity to get to Chiapas entering near Santa Fe ., We avoided the preriferico because there, cops are very eager to give you tickets for whatever they can make up..The love to tell you itisthe day when you cannot drive,,,