Chapala.com Webboard

Covid test

bojackson

Since the CDC will be requiring proof of a negative Covid test before international flights beginning January 26th, does anyone have information on where to have the Covid test performed locally, how long it takes to receive the results and the approximate cost?  I would be flying out on a Sunday so I would need to have the test and the results by the Friday or Saturday before.

3 hours ago, canmex87 said:

Hospital San Antonio. You have a written report in 1/2 hour.

The cost is $1600 pesos.

A PCR test requires 5-6 hours in the lab. 

Probably an antigen test which has up to 20% false negatives. Processing lab time 15 minutes. That test is $250 in GDL.

CDC specifies "viral test"  nowhere do they say antigen test is acceptable

From here: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

When do I need to get a test to travel to the US? And what kind of test do I need?

Get tested no more than 3 days before your flight to the US departs. Make sure to be tested with a viral test (NAAT or antigen test) to determine if you are currently infected with COVID-19. Also make sure that you receive your results before your flight departs and have documentation of your results to show the airline.

Is there a significant price difference between the 2 different kinds of tests (NAAT v. Antigen)?  Different turn-around times?  More easily obtainable Lakeside (if not interested in going to Guadalajara)?

Also on the chart above, NAAT is listed separately, but under same class as PCR.   PCR is the one you hear about the most; wonder why CDC decided to use nomenclature NAAT and not PCR??  

1 hour ago, Mostlylost said:

A PCR test requires 5-6 hours in the lab. 

Probably an antigen test which has up to 20% false negatives. Processing lab time 15 minutes. That test is $250 in GDL.

CDC specifies "viral test"  nowhere do they say antigen test is acceptable

I had a PCR test on Dec 23 at San Antonio hospital emergency room on the advice of my doctor.  Cost was $6500 pesos and results take 48 hours to receive.  You can either have them emailed to you or pick up a paper copy at the hospital. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bisbee Gal said:

Is there a significant price difference between the 2 different kinds of tests (NAAT v. Antigen)?  Different turn-around times?  More easily obtainable Lakeside (if not interested in going to Guadalajara)?

Also on the chart above, NAAT is listed separately, but under same class as PCR.   PCR is the one you hear about the most; wonder why CDC decided to use nomenclature NAAT and not PCR??  

At Salud Digna in GDL a PCR test is $950 an antigen test is $250 

Molecular tests detect the tiniest bits of genetic code specific to SARS-CoV-2   NAAT is "nucleic acid amplification test"  PCR is polymerase chain reaction

Nucleic Acid Amplification Test is an umbrella term for any DNA test that involves an amplification step. Notice that the inclusion of amplification in the definition means that any NAAT necessarily involves some kind of PCR procedure, but does not imply that the PCR step is where the test happens.

Both involve a laboratory with the specific equipment and a supply of reagents, and a 5-6 hour process. It is extremely doubtful any laboratory lakeside would have that capability. So any PCR test done here would require them to send the samples to a lab in GDL.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Upfront said:

it specifies returning to the US so i am guessing it is an antigen test and not a pcr. well that and the price

I think you are correct. The testing sites lakeside can process an antigen. Only a test kit is needed. For PCR they send to a lab in GDL that has the specialized equipment needed.

In the US you can purchase home antigen test kits that give results in about 15 minutes.

Other countries that require a test they specify a PCR.  Antigen tests are not as accurate with more false negatives. One lab website says if you suspect or have been exposed take the antigen test...if negative then  you should take the PCR to be sure.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ldc said:

Hi!

We do not live in Chapala but visit there from the US. My husband is going to travel there soon but was wondering about feasibility of getting the testing. Can you go to the private hospitals for testing if you are not a member?

Thanks!

Tests are available in many labs  All you need to do is pay.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ldc said:

Hi!

We do not live in Chapala but visit there from the US. My husband is going to travel there soon but was wondering about feasibility of getting the testing. Can you go to the private hospitals for testing if you are not a member?

Thanks!

Why would you travel here..?   The medical experts are saying “ Stay home, don’t travel”.  Yet you choose to ignore them... A negative test means very little, it is only a snapshot of that moment it time.. 

• Like 2

Thanks to Mostly and Bisbee.

I've been trying to collect data for weeks now on the tests, and where to get them, the time restrictions, the costs.

This thread gave all that to me.

Reasons for traveling are many, and making the antigen test acceptable to the airlines just allowed me to plan my next four to five months. I suspect antigen tests may be required for airline travel even after double dose vaccinations.

Yes, some countries (and states like New York) will require a quarantine, but getting to where one needs to get to is sometimes paramount. New Yorkers returned to NY, signed up for the govt list of those to quarantine, but were never followed up with by the State of NY for compliance.

What is a mother to do?

That page published by Interbank shared below is totally misinformed. The hospital in Ajijic does not do them the test. Neither does Go Lab. The other two charge $3500 pesos and 72 hours for the results. You can go to Salud Digna in GDL and get the PCR (best) test for $950. Results in 72 hours. That is cutting it close for air travel. Most countries that require the test say it must be taken within 72 hours of departure. Tight. 

12 hours ago, LahrySibley said:

That page published by Interbank shared below is totally misinformed. The hospital in Ajijic does not do them the test. Neither does Go Lab. The other two charge $3500 pesos and 72 hours for the results. You can go to Salud Digna in GDL and get the PCR (best) test for $950. Results in 72 hours. That is cutting it close for air travel. Most countries that require the test say it must be taken within 72 hours of departure. Tight. 

Different countries have different test requirements.  For example, the US allows the rapid antigen test; Canada does not.  The Intercam page is for the rapid Antigen test.  

• Like 1