Chapala.com Webboard

Brandy - National Drink of Mexico

CHILLIN

In the mid 1980's Brandy was by far the most popular spirits drink in Mexico. Sometimes mixed with a soft drink, such as Coca Cola. The Mexican brand of choice was Presidente. Which I believe is still the highest exported brandy in the world. With their advertising at the time, it was promoted as a classy drink, a great many people bought, or were gifted, brandy snifters.

Here is an archive article from the New York Times about the remarkable history behind this company. Open with their free Times Machine.

https://www.nytimes.com/1984/09/05/garden/the-national-drink-in-mexico-brandy.html

• Sad 1

Total Hype!

Paloma: The National Drink of Mexico

www.thedailybeast.com/ paloma-the-national-drink .

List of national drinks

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

23px-Flag_of_Mexico.svg.png Mexico: Tequila is a liquor distilled from the blue agave plant, primarily in the area surrounding the city of Tequila, of the central western Mexican state of Jalisco. In 2018, the Mexican government approved a proposal to celebrate every third Saturday of March as the National Tequila Day

https://uncoverasia.com/tequila-facts/

TEQUILA: 8 FUN FACTS ABOUT MEXICO’S NATIONAL DRINK

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, geeser said:

The first 50 years I was coming to Mexico it was brandy. Tequila and mezcal were drinks of

the lower classes. The national drink was Presidente and aqua mineral con gasificado.

That would make those 2 the defacto NATIONAL drinks then since what you call the lower classes would make up the primary demographic of the NATION by far-eh!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Upfront said:

lots and lots of stories on the web about tequila being the latest trendy drink but i cannot find anything about how it got that way. i assume marketing was the biggest factor. like corona beer up north. it has been advertised to death and everyone drinks it having no idea why the lime is in it and no idea that it is far from the best of mexican beers

Any beer that tastes better with a lime is pretty shitty beer...so said one of my Mexican friends.  They don't always drink beer, but when they do it's usually Modelo.  "Hip" gringos seem to like Pacifico.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Upfront said:

the lime has always been for purification in mexico nothing else

Wow, I didn't know lime juice was a purifying agent. All these people wasting money on drops and elaborate filtration systems. Just buy limes. Thanks for that.

• Haha 1

If beer bottles are stored in the sun too long the beer can develop a skunky flavour. That is why beer bottle glass is coloured. Corona, is clear glass of course. So maybe the lime trick was to counter the skunky taste.

When I used to make gallons of homebrew beer I bought Corona bottles from the recycling because could I easily see the bottom settled yeast line. My gawd I hated trying to extract those old limes from the bottles. Finally I got smart and started bottling in 2 liter pop bottles. If I was gifting, I could carefully pour off the clear, cooling it almost to freezing so it didn't fizz. Also made sparkling wine this way, firstly using champagne bottles and the traditional method, then switching to the plastic bottles. There used to be a strawberry grown near Vancouver that was very sweet and juicy. It was for the frozen fruit market but is now no longer grown. I bought a few five gallon pails of "culls", too soft and mature for market. Washed and sorted them, starting the ferment and adding a big bag of dried rosehips. Man was this ever tasty. I called it strawberry rose champagne (sorry Brigitte).Then we threw a New Years party and it was snowing. We put the bottles out in the snow on the balcony. I don't know how many bottles we went through that night!

My favourite beer in Mexico is Bohemia Pilsner.

21 hours ago, Upfront said:

you should know better considering how long you lived in mexico. and just so you know these filtration systems didn't exist back when people were drinking beer made from bad water or stored where there is lots of mouse poop. it also keeps flies away  it also has dozens of so called curative uses

Yea, there would probably be a lot more scurvy cases these days without people cramming a lime into their beer.  Good point.