Chapala.com Webboard

Mercado Libre Mexico

ibarra

Put your cursor over your name at the top of the page and a box will open... drag your cursor into the box and scroll all the way to the bottom and click on "salir".

And for happyjillin... if your leave the account open and don't log out, if you are using a credit card, it can be hacked and used. That goes for ANY online account where credit card information is imbedded.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I log out of everything, always, even if it doesn't contain financial info.

Online hackers are incredibly good at what they do. They can get some of your info from one site and use it to move onto another site until they get to where they can rob you.

It only takes a few seconds to log out, so why not be safe ratherbthan sorry.

2 hours ago, Ferret said:

And for happyjillin... if your leave the account open and don't log out, if you are using a credit card, it can be hacked and used. That goes for ANY online account where credit card information is imbedded.

Ferret, while I almost always log out of sites that I have logged onto.... especially one where I have just purchased something or a financial site....I am not sure how, if I did NOT log out but kept my browser open for other things, that my account would be in jeopardy for hacking. At least not any more likely than if I were still on the site and using it... like surfing for more purchases.  Yes, I understand that the longer that I am using my computer in general and thus it is still powered up, the 'window' for something to happen lengthens. 

Could you give some background as to how you came into this knowledge and how accurate that knowledge might be. I understand 'possibilities' but I'm wondering about 'probabilities'.

Ferret I know/presume that this might be construed as argumentative.... and maybe it is!

But, what applied to cars and surely to the Internet many, many, many years ago is 99% irrelevant today. And you more than suggested to pedro that he should do something or suffer the consequences. I just don't believe that is good advice.... or at least not for the reason stated and maybe shouldn't be given as fact. 

The good news is that it surely isn't going to hurt to follow your recommendation but....

• Thanks 1

What part of YMMV don't you understand Rick? It's what I do and was recommended to do. I have no regrets. If big corporations and the government can get hacked, I will continue to assume that they started small and honed their skills on ordinary regular people... like me. I'm just not willing to let down my guard to let them try. YMMV.

• Like 2

The vast majority of "hacks" are aided by the user themselves.  They open an email or attachment in a phishing email. In a microsecond the damage is done.  Those emails are sent in mass from stolen email lists. 

It is a hacker looking at your IP address and trying to gain access to your computer using open ports.