Chapala.com Webboard

I had a big surplus of Kwh from 2010 onwards and never did CFE take them away. As we migrated from part time to full time, that surplus was gradually worked off. There was always talk of resetting the account at the beginning of each year but I never had mine reset.

You were lucky Tom, quite a few clients had their surplus deleted annually. My surplus showed up deleted annually in/on my Dec-Jan bimonthly bill each year.  In my case the amount was so small, that I didn't worry about it. In fact, my solution was not to conserve so much, using up my surplus running an electric heater for occasionally during cold season.

we went to Opiere solar, west Ajijic, several years ago and put in solar panels.  

why did  I do this sooner.  we have a wall mounted electric heater.

We warm he house up every morning

I went without heat  or air conditioning for five years, what a mistake, thank you Opiere solar

our5 cfe bill is so low, to low to mention it

6 hours ago, RickS said:

I remember a while back that folks thought CFE had taken their 'bank credits'. On the bill anyway. Did that get resolved?

Each instance we're aware of, showed no sign of the actual kWh energy credits being removed; although they did disappear from showing on the back of the bills for most of last year, however.    That has since been resolved and they are showing again.

They are not showing on my bill... not even the last one received in December of 2020. Anyway, I'm happy. Since I installed five panels in February of 2018, my bill every two months has been the 46 pesos administration charge and nothing else. In January of last year, I went in to the pay machine in Chapala at the CFE office and paid $300 pesos (a bono) to cover it for a year... since then, my bill is a big fat ZERO.

BTW, saying the number of panels really doesn't mean much unless you specify how many watts each panel is capable of producing in an hour in perfect conditions. Mine are each 350 watt... and some of the newer ones are capable of producing more.

The other thing is that putting in solar is slapping a bandaid on the problem if you don't take care of the air leaks in your house... for both cooling and heating. All my windows are done now and the worst of the three doors is too. Two more to go.

have 13 well aged Panasonic panels and haven't paid a CFE bill in 4 years😁 My wife keeps the pool as close to 90F as possible. I fight going above , but, know it is good for her arthritis Solar pool heat, solar hot water with instant gas backup, solar electric. I have a gas pool heater if anyone wants it. Must remove wo damage to property. 

13 hours ago, Ferret said:

They are not showing on my bill... not even the last one received in December of 2020. Anyway, I'm happy. Since I installed five panels in February of 2018, my bill every two months has been the 46 pesos administration charge and nothing else. In January of last year, I went in to the pay machine in Chapala at the CFE office and paid $300 pesos (a bono) to cover it for a year... since then, my bill is a big fat ZERO.

BTW, saying the number of panels really doesn't mean much unless you specify how many watts each panel is capable of producing in an hour in perfect conditions. Mine are each 350 watt... and some of the newer ones are capable of producing more.

The other thing is that putting in solar is slapping a bandaid on the problem if you don't take care of the air leaks in your house... for both cooling and heating. All my windows are done now and the worst of the three doors is too. Two more to go.

Our dear Ferret. If you are fixing all your airleaks, be careful if you close the vents to the fireplace or use those propane catalytic heaters that are not meant to be used indoors. Many people die from this poisoning, and I am hoping we can keep you around for at least another 50+ years!

I don't have a fireplace thank you. I have a small electric "wood stove" with a thermostat that goes on and off as needed but pretend flames that impart a lovely ambience all the time (during the cold weather). I planned for the "wood stove" and my countertop convection oven  before installing the panels. If I use my kitchen stove top (propane), I crack a window in the kitchen slightly. I appreciate your concern though and those are excellent points to consider. ;)

5 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

Our dear Ferret. If you are fixing all your airleaks, be careful if you close the vents to the fireplace or use those propane catalytic heaters that are not meant to be used indoors. Many people die from this poisoning, and I am hoping we can keep you around for at least another 50+ years!

No problem using modern Cat heaters.  Mine has an oxygen sensor. After the panels warm up they mostly emit water vapor.  I do have a carbon monoxide alarm and it never goes off. NON cat heaters you are correct.