Chapala.com Webboard

Scams and price gouging

Yes the label shows the total capacity of the tank if it were totally filled. Most of the tanks I have seen or owned were 300 and 500 liter tanks. And if I remember right, when filling with propane or whatever it is called here in Mexico, one loads up to 80% full, never more.

3 hours ago, johanson said:

Yes the label shows the total capacity of the tank if it were totally filled. Most of the tanks I have seen or owned were 300 and 500 liter tanks. And if I remember right, when filling with propane or whatever it is called here in Mexico, one loads up to 80% full, never more.

I usually take mine up to 85 and have never had a problem.

6 hours ago, johanson said:

Most gas suppliers will not fill above the 80% because of danger of tank blowing up.  Especially if the tank was almost empty.  There is not as much danger if tank has quite a bit of gas left like 40% or more.  However it is better to not fill over  the 80% mark.  We had a gage installed in our kitchen which tells us what per cent is in tank.  Tank like most casa's is on the roof. 

10 hours ago, rafterbr said:

Most gas suppliers will not fill above the 80% because of danger of tank blowing up.  Especially if the tank was almost empty.  There is not as much danger if tank has quite a bit of gas left like 40% or more.  However it is better to not fill over  the 80% mark.  We had a gage installed in our kitchen which tells us what per cent is in tank.  Tank like most casa's is on the roof. 

Ours is in the laundry and storage bodega and easy to read and fill..

20 hours ago, rafterbr said:

We had a gage installed in our kitchen which tells us what per cent is in tank.

Who do you hire to install a ground floor gauge? We have decided to become a little (or a lot) less trusting after realizing our gas guy was gouging us.

We had the contractor who installed the tank run a line outside on our perimeter wall so propane could be input there and another line to our kitchen with a gage so we could monitor how much gas we had. I would check with one of the tank suppliers and they should be able to give you a contact for this.  We used a general contractor who was doing some construction for us.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2021 at 3:43 PM, TelsZ4 said:

It’s not the gas company ripping you off, it’s the driver.... 

Exactly and like Mainecoons said figure out how many liters of propane you need, you already know the price of it and multiply.

And I made this up several years ago for people to make things easier. Most houses have a 300 liter cylinder, 50% now becomes 150 liters and 25% now becomes 75 liters, 1/8th or 12.5% is 37.5 liters, 1/16th or 18.75 liters is 6.25%, 1/32nd or 9.375 liters is 3.125% and 1/64th or 4.68 liters is 1.56%.

If your at 30% and you want to bring it up to 80% you need 50% or 150 liters or better yet, if your at 26% and you want 80% you need to fill 54%. 168.75 will fill 56.25% and 159.375 liters will will fill 53.125%  

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Upfront said:

butyou better get up on the roof and check the gauge before you call the gas guy so you know exactly what it is

Thank God my architect chose to have my gas tank positioned at ground level, near where I park my car. This makes it easier for me to check and for the gas company to fill

And yes, of course, I was ripped off. My 300 liter tank was about 25% full and I asked them to fill the tank up to about 80% full, which would have been about 165 liters.  I guess it was obvious to the gas truck driver, that I was new to Mexico, and he figured he could rip me off bigtime. He charged me for about 400 liters.

I paid the driver and he drove off with a big smile on his face. To make a long story short, the driver was just too greedy. Because he charged me for about 400 liters to fill my 300 liter tank, the gas company could tell that I was ripped off.  And I was compensated for my loss.

That happened to me years ago.  The solution is easy.  Get references from local friends, get their cards, and then call them to deliver so you know who you are dealing with.  Never had any problems since doing that.  Most are honest.  I did explain to them for a while - en espanyol - that I had been ripped off and that is why I wanted to see the gauge.  

Other rip off happened - there are knife sharpeners who go door to door, signaling their availability by blowing a high pitched little whistle.  They do kitchen knives, scissors, garden tools, blender blades, you name it.  Very handy service.  The same guy came for years.  Then a new one showed up and charged exorbitant prices and had the nerve to say the other guy had died.  Then the original guy showed up and I told him this story and he said lots of people got ripped off by this guy; never saw him again.  Cuidado!

• Like 1