Jump to content
Chapala.com Webboard

Recommended Posts

In previous years I received the annual request for information (have I remarried, am I working, etc.) from Social Security. This past year I have not received any mail from Social Security.  In the past social security has been known to stop payments on individuals who do not return the survey.   Also, I have not received information on the Social Security payout and tax withheld for 2021.  This may still be coming, however.  I know we are getting a 1.3% increase.

Perhaps the reason for no mail is:  1.  because the Ajijic Post Office Closed. 2.  They skipped me.  3.  They have not mailed anything. 4.  Aliens

So, fellow retirees, what is your situation?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Floradude said:

So, fellow retirees, what is your situation?

Being my first COVID year with the SSA, I say:th?id=OIP.HxQvojymRA8cyTm1HHF_MwHaE7&pid

Link to post
Share on other sites

MrGoogle is your friend. I found this:

Attention Social Security beneficiaries --- On October 2nd, a notice was sent out to some social security beneficiaries to complete the Form SSA-7161 or SSA-7162. The form is sent with a return envelope to the Social Security Administration (SSA) facility in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania. The purpose of the form is to ensure the SSA has the correct address and phone number on file and that circumstances that may affect payment have been reported. The forms are mailed in May each year. A follow up notice is sent in October if the completed questionnaire has not been received. Failure to provide the required completed questionnaire will result in suspension of benefits effective the payment due on February 3, 2020. If you have not received this form, please email your servicing Federal Benefits Unit (FBU) at FBU.Mexico.City@ssa.gov,

FBU.Guadalajara@ssa.gov,

or FBU.Ciudad.Juarez@ssa.gov

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, MtnMama said:

MrGoogle is your friend. I found this:

Attention Social Security beneficiaries --- On October 2nd, a notice was sent out to some social security beneficiaries to complete the Form SSA-7161 or SSA-7162. The form is sent with a return envelope to the Social Security Administration (SSA) facility in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania. The purpose of the form is to ensure the SSA has the correct address and phone number on file and that circumstances that may affect payment have been reported. The forms are mailed in May each year. A follow up notice is sent in October if the completed questionnaire has not been received. Failure to provide the required completed questionnaire will result in suspension of benefits effective the payment due on February 3, 2020. If you have not received this form, please email your servicing Federal Benefits Unit (FBU) at FBU.Mexico.City@ssa.gov,

FBU.Guadalajara@ssa.gov,

or FBU.Ciudad.Juarez@ssa.gov

I have never received this form after more years on SS than I would like to disclose here. So, obviously I have never filled it out or sent it back. Moved full time here 13 years ago and never notified them about the address change but like clockwork my money shows up at the same bank account in California. Am I missing something here???

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, gringohombre said:

I have never received this form after more years on SS than I would like to disclose here. So, obviously I have never filled it out or sent it back. Moved full time here 13 years ago and never notified them about the address change but like clockwork my money shows up at the same bank account in California. Am I missing something here???

If you tell SSA that you live in Mexico (or any other country outside the US) full-time, you will get this annual letter.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bisbee Gal said:

If you tell SSA that you live in Mexico (or any other country outside the US) full-time, you will get this annual letter.  

Another good reason to have a US address for SS and banking.  I just use Xoom or XE money transfering services from BOA where my SS goes to BBVA (Bancomer). 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Good morning.  I followed up with the Federal Benefits Unit in Guadalajara this morning by email to confirm the current status of Forms 7161 or 7162.  As soon as I have a reply, I will post here.  I note that the Google information posted by MtnMama references a payment date of February 3, 2020, so it is possible this is old information.

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, lcscats said:

Another good reason to have a US address for SS and banking.  I just use Xoom or XE money transfering services from BOA where my SS goes to BBVA (Bancomer). 

Good points. 

I wrote the consulate before I left Mexico to change my address to my daughters home in Florida so I would not receive that mail in form every year like I had been doing.  They said I had to be in the state to make the change. Oh well, good opportunity to visit my family. I called the local SS in my city and after 45 min. on hold I spoke to a person. Ten minute conversation and all done. So I receive my SS to a U. S. bank and use Xoom to send money. Then I left the states for parts unknown. I use my credit cards for almost everything. I just transfer from my U. S. banks to pay the cards. Plus I get flyer miles or hotel points. (Must pay cards in full every month to benefit). 

Also since the Chinese virus most business even small hamburger and beer joints have cc machines. I rarely use cash. Hence no, too few ATM transactions.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you apolanco.

Many, many years ago when my father was alive he received the same form every year to fill out.  This was in Seattle, Washington.  He was always afraid he was going to lose his benefit.  I filled it out for him every year and mailed it back.    I started on social security down here in 2005 and have received a form every year except now.  I have another friend who has not received the form this year.  I also no people who had their benefic held when they did not return the form.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Bisbee Gal said:

If you tell SSA that you live in Mexico (or any other country outside the US) full-time, you will get this annual letter.  

I did notify them but kept my mailing address in the USA, however I don't receive mail because I use the website. I receive my deposit on the date for out of country residents. 

I don't receive the form. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Upfront said:

as a floridian i am curious. you only engaged in phone calls after going back. so you could probably have used skype or something instead perhaps

I have skype, MJ, whatsappp. I guess I could have tried but, I needed the trip to Florida for other business reasons also. Good ideas through. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 The Federal Benefits Unit in Guadalajara replied to my inquiry of this morning, confirming that, indeed, the Google information referenced above is old information.  The FBU provided this further reply:

"Due to the current circumstances, the Social Security Administration is temporarily delaying the mailing of the yearly questionnaire forms SSA-7162 and SSA-7161 until further notice.

If you are currently receiving Social Security benefits, you should continue to receive your regular payments unless other circumstances apply.

If your benefits are suspended, please get in touch with us right away so we can verify the reasons and provide you with additional information.

Thank you"

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

We have never gotten this letter from SS. We have a US address and our benefits are deposited in our US bank account. My husband does receive a similar letter from his pension fund yearly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, apolanco said:

 The Federal Benefits Unit in Guadalajara replied to my inquiry of this morning, confirming that, indeed, the Google information referenced above is old information.  The FBU provided this further reply:

"Due to the current circumstances, the Social Security Administration is temporarily delaying the mailing of the yearly questionnaire forms SSA-7162 and SSA-7161 until further notice.

If you are currently receiving Social Security benefits, you should continue to receive your regular payments unless other circumstances apply.

If your benefits are suspended, please get in touch with us right away so we can verify the reasons and provide you with additional information.

Thank you"

The only answer necessary. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...