Chapala.com Webboard

Canadian Non-residency

Darryl

1 hour ago, happyjillin said:

So big deal if I can't remember how far back she went to get us thousands refunded which is the point. Put that in your pipe and smoke it. How do I  know your 7 years is not a load of BS?-SNORK!

You would know because most of you post on here is BS. Secondly go to the CRA website and read up on the tax rules in Canada, specifically on the length of time you are required to keep tax records... Thirdly I only got a refund for 7 years not the 10.. that you claim.. Oh!!!! you have changed your mind on that on that now... and only got interest paid from the day my accountant filed the amended tax returns not the 10 years like you claim...

• Sad 1

How about we all we all do what our own moral code dictates? So, if you were lucky enough to be born Canadian and have access to amazing health care and pay your taxes,  can you decide you are "entitled" - even if the rules/guidelines (for the sake of the greater good and in order to maintain and fund this) say otherwise - if you can "get away" with something at someone else's expense - that's OK?  I believe we all live according to what we believe to be "right" or "wrong" .... if you can justify living in Mexico and circumventing the guidelines put forth by the government which is trying to provide a better life for those who live in the country - I guess that's your choice. I choose my friends according to their beliefs and behaviour. My code is to do whatever you want - as long as you aren't hurting anyone else. Do you think you might be abusing the system? That's the question. 

1 hour ago, Seren said:

How about we all we all do what our own moral code dictates? So, if you were lucky enough to be born Canadian and have access to amazing health care and pay your taxes,  can you decide you are "entitled" - even if the rules/guidelines (for the sake of the greater good and in order to maintain and fund this) say otherwise - if you can "get away" with something at someone else's expense - that's OK?  I believe we all live according to what we believe to be "right" or "wrong" .... if you can justify living in Mexico and circumventing the guidelines put forth by the government which is trying to provide a better life for those who live in the country - I guess that's your choice. I choose my friends according to their beliefs and behaviour. My code is to do whatever you want - as long as you aren't hurting anyone else. Do you think you might be abusing the system? That's the question. 

I am certainly not abusing the systen. I pay thousands in income tax and get  nothing for it. 

On 1/2/2021 at 3:26 PM, sue said:

The rules are very simple and rev Canada is only to happy to assist you.  You can google the information and call the numbers listed It is an easy process I had my accountant put a notice on my last income tax that I submitted before leaving Canada to advise them that I was declaring Non - resident status for the future . We have a Tax treaty with Mexico which limits your tax on pensions etc to 15 % They take that at source... pretty easy.

It is even easier to switch from non resident to resident. Just declare it at the C anadian airport 

1 hour ago, Seren said:

So you feel warm and comfortable living in Mexico which is one of the most corrupt countries in the world and by default support its government practices, where little trickles down

For me yes I am one of the gringos who find a loop hole in the U.S. system that allows me to use a AA medical coverage plan

2 hours ago, Seren said:

Have you ever had an RRSP? Or a TFSA? Their only purpose is to pay less tax. 

On 1/2/2021 at 6:09 PM, Out1 said:

Most provinces have a residency requirement to qualify for health care; I think Ontario is 180 days per year.

I would hate to have surgery and find out that I owe the hospital $100,000 or more because they found out that I didn't meet the eligibility requirements of that province's health care system.

And yes I still have my OHIP card.

Check the section "Away for more than seven months"  on this page:  https://www.ontario.ca/page/ohip-coverage-while-outside-canada#section-1

There is sure a lot of misinformation on this thread. The OP asked about non residency. Not about staying out of the country for over 180 days and hen expecting health care. You MUST give up your drivers license, health care, primary residence and most banking. Again I suggest consulting a professional. 

"A non-resident is an individual who is no longer considered to be a resident of Canada for income tax purposes. Non-residents have typically left the country and have severed significant residential ties to the country. Residential ties to Canada include maintaining things such as a permanent house or dwelling, having spouses or dependants in Canada, or continuing to maintain Canadian drivers licences, bank accounts, personal property, health cards, and social memberships."

I have been advised a basic savings/chequing account is allowed by the CRA, but not an investment account, Or RRSP, Or TFSA.  

4 minutes ago, Upfront said:

are you saying there is misinformation because the thread now includes other topics related to being out of the country? i think not

Well since you asked: you are wrong that you can not be charged for health care if you are a citizen. Residents get coverage. Becoming a non-resident does not mean you are no longer a citizen. 

Exactly. You don't lose your citizenship. I am and always will be a Canadian citizen and I have a Canadian passport which has been renewed many times through the Canadian Embassy in Mexico City. But I am also no longer a RESIDENT of Canada and, therefore, have forfeited my right to health care there. If (and it's a very big and highly unlikely if) I chose to go back and become a resident in Canada again, then I can re-apply for Canadian health care. When I visit Canada now, I purchase a travel health insurance plan through Manulife Canada. In the meantime, I enjoy my retirement here and love not having to file income tax but only paying a flat 15% tax on income taken off at source.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, TelsZ4 said:

You would know because most of you post on here is BS. Secondly go to the CRA website and read up on the tax rules in Canada, specifically on the length of time you are required to keep tax records... Thirdly I only got a refund for 7 years not the 10.. that you claim.. Oh!!!! you have changed your mind on that on that now... and only got interest paid from the day my accountant filed the amended tax returns not the 10 years like you claim...

Do you have a reading disability?

7 minutes ago, Upfront said:

first you did not answer my aqeustion. second i said nothing about non-residency. once you are back you are back and there is no doctor who will charge you. they will wait

I used your own misinformation to answer your own question.

But to clairify: Are you now saying a doctor will treat you without insurance, then falsify a claim to one of the province's health systems at a later date? 

On 1/2/2021 at 5:07 PM, sue said:

Only if you are prepared to cheat Every province has a limited number of days you can live outside your Canadian home and still use the Canadian health care system and if the bill is big enough they have been known to check.

It is not cheating -it is just common sense.

On 1/2/2021 at 5:07 PM, sue said:

Only if you are prepared to cheat Every province has a limited number of days you can live outside your Canadian home and still use the Canadian health care system and if the bill is big enough they have been known to check.

You are putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5. I have never used Canadian Medical service unless I qualified

On 1/2/2021 at 5:09 PM, Out1 said:

Most provinces have a residency requirement to qualify for health care; I think Ontario is 180 days per year.

I would hate to have surgery and find out that I owe the hospital $100,000 or more because they found out that I didn't meet the eligibility requirements of that province's health care system.

And yes I still have my OHIP card.

That won't happen to me.

On 1/2/2021 at 5:20 PM, Out1 said:

Further, I suggest you look for a new accountant; I wouldn't trust him when he is recommending cheating the system.

Another one who is poor at math. Adding 2 and 2 and getting 5.

On 1/2/2021 at 6:30 PM, Ferret said:

It's cheating. Period. Anyway, even if you become a non-resident for tax purposes, IF your circumstances change and you find yourself back living in Canada, you merely change back and apply for health care again. It takes three months after application to kick in.

Exactly so don't cancel your medical account as it takes months to get a new one. Just don't use you card and account unless you qualify. 

• Sad 1

On 1/2/2021 at 7:00 PM, Out1 said:

You should take some time and figure out how the system really works rather than listen to a couple of cheats.

This whole discussion is just plain stupid; why did you even bother to start this thread; you knew the responses you would get.

They aren't cheats they just know how the system works.

21 hours ago, virgo lady said:

Rather than argue and complain about the info people post as they  try to help you, stop wasting other people's time and the space on this board with your near-trolling behaviour since you apparently have this all figured out.

Some of the posts are misleading so I have to comment.

On 1/3/2021 at 7:39 AM, dave0415 said:

Cedros did not start this thread. Also be careful who you decide to call a cheat. His original accountant seems to have given him the correct advice.

Dave, sounds like you took my comments as a personal insult.

Cedros, if your situation is real and not just made up to spur this conversation then you are in way over your head; get some professional (probably legal) advice.

Canada, the US and Mexico track all your entry and exits and share that info. In fact the US makes it publicly available. You might be surprised what you find under history at https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov. I am sure that database has a lot more info on you than they make public. The website even knew that I had a new passport before I even used it. The website does not show when you leave the US in a car but Canada and Mexico provide the US with that info. Also, US CBP has been taking your picture at airports for years and has been installing facial recognition cameras at all the border exit points so that info will be available soon.

If the health care system wants to know how long you have been out of the country they can get it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, Out1 said:

Dave, sounds like you took my comments as a personal insult.

Cedros, if your situation is real and not just made up to spur this conversation then you are in way over your head; get some professional (probably legal) advice.

Canada, the US and Mexico track all your entry and exits and share that info. In fact the US makes it publicly available. You might be surprised what you find under history at https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov. I am sure that database has a lot more info on you than they make public. The website even knew that I had a new passport before I even used it. The website does not show when you leave the US in a car but Canada and Mexico provide the US with that info. Also, US CBP has been taking your picture at airports for years and has been installing facial recognition cameras at all the border exit points so that info will be available soon.

If the health care system wants to know how long you have been out of the country they can get it.

That website does not apply to me as far as I can see.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, cedros said:

That website does not apply to me as far as I can see.

The website displays the entry and exit of everyone except US citizens over the last 5 years; I am not sure about green card holders.

If you are Canadian and have entered or exited the US in the last 5 years you are on it.

12 minutes ago, Out1 said:

The website displays the entry and exit of everyone except US citizens over the last 5 years; I am not sure about green card holders.

If you are Canadian and have entered or exited the US in the last 5 years you are on it.

Thanks for posting that; Interesting.