Chapala.com Webboard

Canadian Non-residency

Darryl

4 hours ago, AngusMactavish said:

Are Canadians "clocked out" of the country when driving?

The Canadian and US immigration have an agreement. When driving out of Canada and entering the US the US government notifies the Canadian government of you entering the US on that date and at that crossing. When leaving the US and entering Canada the Canadian government  notifies the US governent when you left the US. You can only stay in the US for 182 days in a 1 year period.

6 hours ago, AlanMexicali said:

The Canadian and US immigration have an agreement. When driving out of Canada and entering the US the US government notifies the Canadian government of you entering the US on that date and at that crossing. When leaving the US and entering Canada the Canadian government  notifies the US governent when you left the US. You can only stay in the US for 182 days in a 1 year period.

Could be. But the BC medical people told me that there is no communication between that and the medical system in the provinces

On 1/2/2021 at 5:07 PM, sue said:

Only if you are prepared to cheat Every province has a limited number of days you can live outside your Canadian home and still use the Canadian health care system and if the bill is big enough they have been known to check.

In my case it would not be cheating.

12 hours ago, Ferret said:

It's cheating. Period. Anyway, even if you become a non-resident for tax purposes, IF your circumstances change and you find yourself back living in Canada, you merely change back and apply for health care again. It takes three months after application to kick in.

In my case it would not be cheating

On 1/2/2021 at 11:38 PM, AngusMactavish said:

You actually have to stop and show your papers to leave?

On 1/2/2021 at 11:38 PM, AngusMactavish said:

You actually have to stop and show your papers to leave?

But the BC medical peopl told me they don't have access to that information.

8 hours ago, Ferret said:

Naive I am not. Stupid I am not either. Get yourself some professional advice.

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/publications/ohip/card_fraud.aspx

Nothing pertinent there.

12 hours ago, Out1 said:

You should take some time and figure out how the system really works rather than listen to a couple of cheats.

This whole discussion is just plain stupid; why did you even bother to start this thread; you knew the responses you would get.

Cedros did not start this thread. Also be careful who you decide to call a cheat. His original accountant seems to have given him the correct advice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cedros said:

Says who? Their website does not even work.

Odd? It opens for me on multiple devices? Maybe it wasn't made FOOL-proof?

I have worked and paid taxes in 11 countries. I know that the CRA/IRS et al, have no responsibility to inform you that filing in a different manner will allow you to pay less tax legally.

An expert can save you more than their cost. You don't always get what you pay for, but you never get more than you paid for.

Daryl:

A second company that coworkers have used is: The Expat Group https://www.expat.ca/ 

They are a bit invasive as they want to do retirement planning and investing on your behalf. Some people I know have been very happy with their services.

They each may give you a free consultation. 

Doing your own taxes or cutting your own hair may appear to be saving yourself money,........

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, Ferret said:

It's cheating. Period. Anyway, even if you become a non-resident for tax purposes, IF your circumstances change and you find yourself back living in Canada, you merely change back and apply for health care again. It takes three months after application to kick in.

I guess you can lump this lapse of where you live with any U.S. folks fudging to obtaining medical coverage using their AA  medical supplementary insurance?

2 hours ago, Ferret said:

I don't really know. I have never used the Canadian Medical system when I was a non resident. Only a few times as a resident. I am just reporting what an expericenced Canadian tax man told me. 

I am officially an aboriginal person as defined in the Canadian Constitution which may complicate things.

• Haha 1

An aboriginal person must still be resident in Canada to use the health care system. You're skating on mighty thin ice Cedros.

For the record, a non - resident of Canada has the choice of filing a tax return or not. I get the choice sent to me every year.  If there is no financial benefit to filing, then there is no need to file especially since tax is usually taken off at source if you've done your paperwork correctly. So, Cedros, you are paying a tax accountant to file for you and you're paying more taxes? That's bad financial planning.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ferret said:

An aboriginal person must still be resident in Canada to use the health care system. You're skating on mighty thin ice Cedros.

For the record, a non - resident of Canada has the choice of filing a tax return or not. I get the choice sent to me every year.  If there is no financial benefit to filing, then there is no need to file especially since tax is usually taken off at source if you've done your paperwork correctly. So, Cedros, you are paying a tax accountant to file for you and you're paying more taxes? That's bad financial planning.

We file as non resident and use an accountant because we have huge annual medical bills and she manages to get us really nice rebates on those annually. She is worth her weight in gold because before we found her and did our own we did a lot wrong and CRA did some things wrong too. Got us back thousands for a 10 year period and the mistakes CRA made were refunded to us by them with INTEREST.

• Like 1

The world used to be divided into individuals who have, and those who have not. Today it is divided into individuals who pay taxes, and those who do not.

Corporations pay small amounts of taxes because governments like they way they can deduct payroll taxes before you get a chance to spend it, or hide it.

6 hours ago, cedros said:

Could be. But the BC medical people told me that there is no communication between that and the medical system in the provinces

Not necessarily true. When my daughter was 19, she went travelling to Nepal for several months. I can't remember exactly what I had to do for her regarding her BC Care card at the BC assessment center, but the woman at the desk looked at her computer and said "Your daughter is out of the country now, correct?"

I think you are quite naive in assuming that the govt. entities don't trade info if there is some reason to.

50 minutes ago, happyjillin said:

We file as non resident and use an accountant because we have huge annual medical bills and she manages to get us really nice rebates on those annually. She is worth her weight in gold because before we found her and did our own we did a lot wrong and CRA did some things wrong too. Got us back thousands for a 10 year period and the mistakes CRA made were refunded to us by them with INTEREST.

Load of B.S.  You can only go back 7 years..

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

Not necessarily true. When my daughter was 19, she went travelling to Nepal for several months. I can't remember exactly what I had to do for her regarding her BC Care card at the BC assessment center, but the woman at the desk looked at her computer and said "Your daughter is out of the country now, correct?"

I think you are quite naive in assuming that the govt. entities don't trade info if there is some reason to.

I don't think that is true. There is surprisingly little communication between government departments. Medical records are highly protected in Canada, as they are in Mexico. The CRA can march into your bank and ask for bank records, credit card records, deposit boxes whereas the RCMP have to go to the courts to present their evidence and ask for warrants. Your local bank manager can know more about your spending and credit patterns than the RCMP will ever know.

1 minute ago, CHILLIN said:

Medical records are highly protected in Canada, as they are in Mexico.

I wasn't referring to medical records. I was referring to the provincial medical plans being able to access information as to whether a person is out of the country and for how long. That's a totally different thing than having access to someone's medical records.

• Like 2

Within Ferrets excellent links, I was glad to see this gem. That BC now offers a working holiday visa, which offers medical coverage. That will make Mexican parents feel much safer if their son or daughter seeks a year adventure in B.C. This type of thing should be encouraged more often. Although a team of highly attractive and intelligent Australian nannies married off nearly all of my young adult friends.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/health/health-drug-coverage/msp/bc-residents/eligibility-and-enrolment/are-you-eligible/working-holiday-programs