Chapala.com Webboard

Canadian Non-residency

Darryl

The rules are very simple and rev Canada is only to happy to assist you.  You can google the information and call the numbers listed It is an easy process I had my accountant put a notice on my last income tax that I submitted before leaving Canada to advise them that I was declaring Non - resident status for the future . We have a Tax treaty with Mexico which limits your tax on pensions etc to 15 % They take that at source... pretty easy.

• Like 3

I lived here for years as a resident of Canada until my accountant said I should really become a non resident so I did. That accountant moved on and my new accountant says I am better off as a resident.  So I am a resident again. I pay more tax as a resident but there are benefits. 

I don't think either accountant were flouting the law just different ways of doing it.

1 hour ago, cedros said:

I lived her for years as a resident of Canada until my accountant said I should really become a non resicednt so I did. That accountant moved on and my new accountant says I am better off as a resident.  So I am a resident again. I pay more tax as a resident but there are benefits. 

So what are the benefits that you are willing to pay more taxes ? 

On 1/2/2021 at 4:38 PM, Out1 said:

So what are the benefits that you are willing to pay more taxes ? 

My accountant says it is easier access to Canadian health care for one thing. Don't cancel 

your medical service account as it takes months to get a new one. But don't use the medical service unless you qualify to use it. 

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, cedros said:

My accountant says access to Canadian health care.

Only if you are prepared to cheat Every province has a limited number of days you can live outside your Canadian home and still use the Canadian health care system and if the bill is big enough they have been known to check.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, cedros said:

My accountant says access to Canadian health care.

Most provinces have a residency requirement to qualify for health care; I think Ontario is 180 days per year.

I would hate to have surgery and find out that I owe the hospital $100,000 or more because they found out that I didn't meet the eligibility requirements of that province's health care system.

And yes I still have my OHIP card.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sue said:

Only if you are prepared to cheat Every province has a limited number of days you can live outside your Canadian home and still use the Canadian health care system and if the bill is big enough they have been known to check.

My accountant says it is not that simple. Time will tell.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Out1 said:

Further, I suggest you look for a new accountant; I wouldn't trust him when he is recommending cheating the system.

My new accountant says it is not cheating only the way it is done. Time will tell.

• Confused 1

It's cheating. Period. Anyway, even if you become a non-resident for tax purposes, IF your circumstances change and you find yourself back living in Canada, you merely change back and apply for health care again. It takes three months after application to kick in.

• Like 3

Both my old and new accountants were tax acountants in Canada for years. They say they know how the systen really works. I don't 

• Sad 1

You should take some time and figure out how the system really works rather than listen to a couple of cheats.

This whole discussion is just plain stupid; why did you even bother to start this thread; you knew the responses you would get.

5 hours ago, Out1 said:

I think Ontario is 180 days per year.

Actually 210 outside the province are allowed.   So you can be out 7 months and still qualify as "resident".       That's win-win because as resident you pay income taxes on a full year basis, and as I see it, make less demands on the system when out of the country, especially during the harsher winter months, so staying healthier in a warmer outdoor climate (this year excepted.....).     Easily covers Nov to May.