Chapala.com Webboard

AFS. Anxiety, Frustration, and Stress.

As we all hope and pray for a better 2021 I got to thinking, what is happening to my Canadian friends who were not able to travel south this year. Will they freeze to death, or perhaps turn into prunes as they hibernate for their long winters.

Whilst both groups have crosses to bear of different shapes and sizes I wonder if the Canadians are more able to handle the AFS that has come with the Covid pandemic. I am thinking of retirees from both countries

As a US retiree, I am blessed with having lots of comfortable and lower-cost locations when faced with a change in lifestyle from having a regular income to having to live on a pension, etc. I have many choices of finding a home in a lower cost state and a climate more enjoyable to satisfy my aging body.

When I think of the choices Canadians have it seems to be very limited, and its sinking Lonnie does not help, or is this my ignorance?
  • Haha 1

Well if this is a conversation about only climate and not other criteria then yes of course Canadians will 'suffer' more than their southern neighbors... like me. However if one discounts that, the culture in Canada *may* be better than the USA. That of course is not a given and can easily be challenged. It depends on the person.

And yes, there are plenty of places in the US where one can live 'cheaply'... almost anywhere in the south.... and the weather in winter is not that bad and surely better from a temperature standpoint than Canada. 

But living 'cheaply' does not always equate to living 'nicely'... for the lack of a better word. I grew up in the South but believe me the 'culture' of the South is not to my liking, cheap or no.  Central to southern Florida is extremely comfortable in the winter as is Arizona with lots to do out-of-doors but living there in the summer is akin to living in the preverbal hell IMO. Same is true of south Texas.

Not to say that I know of and have tried out all the possibilities available for nice year around living, but Mexico in general and Lakeside in particular pretty much hits on all cylinders for me.  Maybe one day I'll actually live there full time as I once thought I would surely be doing by now.

• Like 1

Geez Chillin', Southern Ontario is quite a bit south of Vancouver and Victoria... not sure latitude is necessarily solely responsible for temperature.

Canadians have Health Care... for everyone. IMHO, it's a no brainer to stay in Canada during a pandemic. Isolating is gonna suck anywhere. And, in Canada, we have this marvelous invention called insulation (tongue firmly in cheek) in the walls and ceilings along with double pane glass thermal insulating windows. Controlling the indoor environment is kinda old hat to Canadians. Bored? Go walk around an indoor mall... with your mask on of course.

And Victoria has a Mediterranean climate, largely due to the Pacific. However, due to location, Vancouver has twice the rain, and I recall a story about a football player who begged to be transferred to another team because of the dreary weather. So this "ASF" factor played heavily there.

8 minutes ago, Ferret said:

Geez Chillin', Southern Ontario is quite a bit south of Vancouver and Victoria... not sure latitude is necessarily solely responsible for temperature.

Canadians have Health Care... for everyone. IMHO, it's a no brainer to stay in Canada during a pandemic. Isolating is gonna suck anywhere. And, in Canada, we have this marvelous invention called insulation (tongue firmly in cheek) in the walls and ceilings along with double pane glass thermal insulating windows. Controlling the indoor environment is kinda old hat to Canadians. Bored? Go walk around an indoor mall... with your mask on of course.

As a matter of fact Point Pelee in Lake Erie is the same latitude as a part of northern California and has an interesting climate and flora.

Ah, but when the sun comes out in Vancouver, all is forgiven. The only place I've ever lived where I had three umbrellas going during the winter... one in the car, one at work and one in my purse. Still, winter is dreary in most places in Canada but, at least in Vancouver, you didn't have to shovel the precipitation. Even within Vancouver there were huge differences. The closer you were to the mountains, the more rainfall. We lived almost at the corner of Boundary Road and Hastings in Burnaby. Grew algae on the north facing balcony which overlooked the Burrard Inlet.

51 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

Watch some Canadian TV. AFS is very uncommon there. All the warmer places are not cheap however. Vancouver and Victoria latitude is quite a bit south of Paris, France.

When I lived in Winnipeg the winter months did something to people I did not notice when I moved to San Diego 40 years ago. This was partying at a friend's house where everyone invited showed up. In San Diego some invitees showed up and didn't party with the enthusiasm my Canadian friends and family did. In the summer we partied at the lake. Great memories.

7 minutes ago, AlanMexicali said:

When I lived in Winnipeg the winter months did something to people I did not notice when I moved to San Diego 40 years ago. This was partying at a friend's house where everyone invited showed up. In San Diego some invitees showed up and didn't party with the enthusiasm my Canadian friends and family did. In the summer we partied at the lake. Great memories.

Funny, I was going to mention that. A lot of house parties, but never out of control. I think in Canada, with a smaller population, there is the sense that we all have to all get along. With a large population, you can afford to say " don't hang around that guy, cuz he is a real jerk". Whereas in Canada, that jerk might be the one to help pull your car out of a snowbank. The further North you go, the more eccentric the characters become. Then they no longer stand even visiting the South.

You might be sad to learn, as I did this morning, that the Hudsons Bay store in Winnipeg is permanently shut down, and likely to be demolished. It has been assessed at zero value. The Eatons store is already gone and part of their new stadium

3 hours ago, AndyPanda said:

us_north_of_canada3.png

Now this is interesting because the American government agreed with the British that all land north of the most Southern point of Canada belongs to the British, and later Canada. Better bring out the lawyers and cannons!

Ironically many of those US states wouldn't mind joining, with the doors of unlimited wealth in the Arctic now opening up because of warming.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, AndyPanda said:

Victoria has a Mediterranean climate, largely due to the Pacific

So nice.....CDN Thanksgiving (always same date as US Columbus Day, 2nd Monday in Oct) everyone is (or at least can be) in T shirts and shorts there.     

• Like 1

1 hour ago, virgo lady said:

And the US political "theater" is an all too bizarre bonus to watch from a safe distance.   

Missiles have unlimited range and duck & cover doesn't work. Be afraid, not amused. 

1 hour ago, CHILLIN said:

Now this is interesting because the American government agreed with the British that all land north of the most Southern point of Canada belongs to the British, and later Canada. Better bring out the lawyers and cannons!

Ironically many of those US states wouldn't mind joining, with the doors of unlimited wealth in the Arctic now opening up because of warming.

Not that I know of did the British agree to that. It was the 49th  parellel that separtated the two countires except on Vancouber island and in the far east.

1 hour ago, Go Solar said:

So nice.....CDN Thanksgiving (always same date as US Columbus Day, 2nd Monday in Oct) everyone is (or at least can be) in T shirts and shorts there.     

Of course Thanksgiving is earlier in Canada as the crops are harvested sooner and the first Thanksgivings were held in Canada.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, virgo lady said:

They just keep laughing at stuff like this while waiting for Jan 20th.

image002 (1).jpg

image0122.jpeg

image001.jpg

No, I am not going to add a SAD or FROWN here...In plain English this is sick denigration of the greatest country and political system ever on God's Green Earth!!! However I am afraid not for long because of pure nonsense such as this from uneducated, brainwashed Loony Tunes and much worse. 

• Sad 3

On 1/1/2021 at 7:31 PM, lakeside7 said:

As we all hope and pray for a better 2021 I got to thinking, what is happening to my Canadian friends who were not able to travel south this year. Will they freeze to death, or perhaps turn into prunes as they hibernate for their long winters.

Whilst both groups have crosses to bear of different shapes and sizes I wonder if the Canadians are more able to handle the AFS that has come with the Covid pandemic. I am thinking of retirees from both countries

As a US retiree, I am blessed with having lots of comfortable and lower-cost locations when faced with a change in lifestyle from having a regular income to having to live on a pension, etc. I have many choices of finding a home in a lower cost state and a climate more enjoyable to satisfy my aging body.

When I think of the choices Canadians have it seems to be very limited, and its sinking Lonnie does not help, or is this my ignorance?

Hasn't the loonie risen lately?