Chapala.com Webboard

Telcel Huawei Y5 - Android native SIP Client, wifi-calling enable, etc

DonJuane

I am trying to enable the native Android SIP client on this phone like I have others and every youtube video I see shows different Android setup screens than what Telcel has on their version of this phone.   Missing is the Wifi "More ...." which gives the option to turn on wifi-calling for the Y5 that is not of Telcel issue.   Also using the QuickShortCutMaker tool to launch hidden Phone setups, I have been able to configure a SIP client but it won't work because there seems not even a wifi calling option available, which should be available with Android 8, which is what the phone came with.  Telcel bastardization of this release is also blocking the creation of shortcuts on the menus.

Anyone tinkered with SIP on this beast and got it working or at minimum, the wifi calling feature?   THANKS!

• 3 months later...

Having spent the better part of the afternoon trying to get Zoiper working with our Asterisk server, I had much the same results that you had.  Interestingly, I tried it on the Verizon network here in the states and also using OpenVPN to try and tunnel the traffic that way.  What I discovered was that when connected to the cell  network (LTE), it blocked all audio.  When I disconnected and used a Wifi connection, it worked perfectly.  Then I did some digging around and it appears that the carriers are detecting SIP traffic (even through a VPN), and nerfing it.  This is not a problem that you or I are likely to be able to overcome.  It is the carriers doing all they can to ensure that they control the traffic, and as a result they can sell locked phones on their network.  I'm not sure what the answer is here, to be honest.