Chapala.com Webboard

garden idea

If your yard is not conducive for grass,especially peeing dogs here is an alternative to consider. it's medium size smooth river gravel over doubled up landscape cloth which keeps weeds from growing in it. We have changed the look several times in the planters and strategically placed pots. We did the same in our backyard in Edmonton because we had female dogs. We have had up to 6 street rescues with us here which is down to 3 now watering the gravel.

1 before 2006.JPG

2 now 2014.jpg

• Like 1

I had a large lawn when I had female dogs so never a problem with female dogs. If they have a choice they pee on grass. They would use gravel only if they were desperate.

An area in the back off the terrace is where I do a lot of repotting. Was always muddy. The rain splashed the mud on the terrace and required rinsing off everyday. The dogs and I tracked mud into the house. I hated it. I sprayed it with a strong weed killer, laid down the cloth, had 23 bags of river rock delivered and placed them one by one to fill the area. Problem solved. 

20200919_103836.jpg

20200917_103116.jpg

20200917_103029.jpg

20200919_103859.jpg

• Like 2

On 12/30/2020 at 10:13 PM, happyjillin said:

The thing is if they pee on grass they kill it but they can't kill gravel.

They never killed my grass-maybe because I have always had large lawns. I had up to 4 females sometimes. Wouldn't stone get smelly?

50 minutes ago, Ferret said:

Or you can do a combo of either flagstone with pea gravel (first photo) in between or flagstone with river rock in between. My preference is for river rock because it doesn't move.41603676_Picturef.thumb.jpg.32c26d9b56ac9ea3b84f6ac66888c14e.jpg

413490302_Pictureq.thumb.jpg.2b34e0d89b62af22e260d0af7f359f8f.jpg

That looks nice

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, cedros said:

They never killed my grass-maybe because I have always had large lawns. I had up to 4 females sometimes. Wouldn't if get smelly?

No,not smelly because there are no flagstones. When not rainy season we give it a hose when watering the plants. It's easy to pick up poop from the medium size river rock[gravel] that we used. It's easy to walk on and it doesn't bother the dog's feet when they romp on it. it's not a big courtyard but we find it very tranquil to sit on our patio and enjoy and a couple of times a day Howdy Chases Chuck all over it.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bob Liu said:

Glad to see some posts on gardening. Thanks.
In this wonderful climate, it should be a paradise for gardeners.
I’m going to learn something different when I move down there.

Not quite a paradise. A lot depends on the soil which in some places has too much clay and roots rot-get somenone to check the soil before you buy or rent. . And the insects can be voracious eaters of many plants and many pesticides are needed. It is a learning process.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, cedros said:

Not quite a paradise. A lot depends on the soil which in some places has too much clay and roots rot-get somenone to check the soil before you buy or rent. . And the insects can be voracious eaters of many plants and many pesticides are needed. It is a learning process.

Don't worry,be happy.

This is my paradise. A large plant room upstairs with shelving units, water fountains and humidifier. A three shelf cart to fill with plants and wheel outside on the balcony where I can water freely. One third of living room downstairs is an atrium with another water fountain. Outside terrace is lined with plants. One corner of yard has orchids and more. I rent so gardening is all in pots. Even with the dogs and fish, I still have time for margaritas so please visit.

• Like 1