Chapala.com Webboard

Baby it's cold inside

lakeside7

10 hours ago, cafemediterraneo said:

I used bubble wrap fresh from the roll on my windows.  It lets the sun in and keeps the heat in. Just mist the clean window and press it on...or tape the edges.  A simple curtain can be hung over it.  I use magnets on the metal frame. Now you're snug.

Great idea / suggestion, creating a thermopane window hack.     We used to carry the Solar Sun Rings for pools, which work on the same idea, letting the sun's heat in, then trapping the warmth.    Quite effective.

• Like 1

The bonus for gardeners, is that this stretch of annual cool weather resets my peach and apple trees, and scares off a lot of buggy pests.

I think it resets a lot of flowers as well.

It also explains why so many old fireplaces here were built for a short, hot morning fire, burning thin woods and brush, rather the slow burning hardwood fire logs we are used to in the north.

6 hours ago, gringal said:

Those who brought ski season underwear with them when they moved to paradise are now very glad that they did. Brrr.

We bought thermals a couple of years back in Costco. My husband uses them here when we watch movies at night. I bring them to the States when we visit the east coast in the winter.

3 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

The bonus for gardeners, is that this stretch of annual cool weather resets my peach and apple trees, and scares off a lot of buggy pests.

I think it resets a lot of flowers as well.

It also explains why so many old fireplaces here were built for a short, hot morning fire, burning thin woods and brush, rather the slow burning hardwood fire logs we are used to in the north.

Yes, it resets some things. When I moved here I smuggled rhubarb roots in with my car's spare tire. Only one of them reset and produced for a few years-a memory?

5 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

The bonus for gardeners, is that this stretch of annual cool weather resets my peach and apple trees, 

Do peach and apple trees produce here?  I saw an article one time where in Africa they picked all the leaves off the fruit trees to get them to reset.

Yes, the peaches are the famous (in Europe) Melacoton from Spain. They like subtropical. The Spanish put a paper bag on the fruits, in the hot months, to protect from bugs and scorch. The apples are "Anna", developed in Israel, with good irrigation but high temperatures. I will bag those as well. They need two trees for mutual pollination. I bought them from thegreensshop.com in Veracruz.

This area is a commercial gardener's " Fooladadise" beleivers. You might get an enthusiastic response to your new fruit or vegetable, but in the end it is the same as introducing a new and interesting musical talent

Thanks, to Mostlylost and Chillin.  I have 20 apple and peach trees here in Oklahoma and they are very weather oriented.  The late freezes usually gets the fruit every year.  Sounds like work covering the fruit but I think I will plant a tree or two and see what happens.

I don't want to come across as smug, but one of the nice things living here is that hiring a gardener here is relatively inexpensive, and they seem to be happy for the work. If the crazy old gringo wants me to spend all day putting nylon mesh bags all over his trees, so be it.

The peach tree may be in the need of a Tree Psychologist. It is very confused. It is now producing beautifully scented flowers, before the green leaves are starting.

Cedros, I have an indoor greenhouse now, and will try to germinate the Australian sub tropical rhubarb again. It is a perrenial in this climate. Thank goodness you didn't try to smuggle in the rhubarb by putting it down your pants. You would have been noticed right away ha ha.

• Like 1

I have a gardener year round in Riberas and I'm sure he would enjoy putting the bags on the trees  for the crazy gringo.  I think it is natural for the peach tree to flower before it puts out the leaves.  Here in Oklahoma my peach trees flower first.  Unfortunately along will come along a late freeze and get the fruit.  What I produce is a lot of is pears.  I have 5 varieties but pears are one of my least favorite fruits. We have all the fruit trees because my Mexican wife grew up in Mexico City and never had a chance to have a garden or orchard until now.  In Riberas we have lemon and orange trees.

I had an apple tree as did a neighbour. It was a variety developed for the middle east.  They both produced fruit but it was a soft (not crisp) apple. Not that tasty.