Chapala.com Webboard

Baby it's cold inside

lakeside7

2 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

I see the weather forecast is for the night temperature to dip to 38/39f. How do you manage to keep the house warm. So much for global warming

A portable gas heater or forget about the house and just keep the people warm with clothes and blankes. It will start warmng up in a few weeks.

I bit the bullet and bought a small electric "wood" stove with a controllable thermostat and it cycles on and off as needed. I turn it on at the beginning of November and will put it away at the end of February. For two winters now, the inside temperature has never gone below 18 C. However, I also have solar panels, good windows and doors and my house is small.

Gas fireplace insert in main living area.  Run it for a few hours when we get up in morning, then let the sun keep the house warm.  Have only used fireplace once this year, but used it more other years. 

Worst case scenario is when it is both cold and cloudy, but it's been a nicer December than others we recall.  

Wear long sleeves in morning, switch to short sleeves by lunch.   

8 minutes ago, luvsdawgs said:

Actually, it was 38 C on Sunday morning when I let my dogs out.

Where??  My gauge runs within a degree or two of the weather station in Rancho de Oro.  Here are the hi's and lows recorded for this month.  Hasn't dipped below the upper 50s.  

dec temps 2020.png

• Like 1

Is this the "perfect springlike weather year-round" that lakeside prides itself on?😜

It's been quite cold over in my area, north of PV, as well. And because I live in the countryside, not surrounded by concrete, it's even colder. Right now, at 4 in the afternoon, I'm wearing jean and three layers on top and socks. It's totally overcast, drizzling and windy.

After 13 years here full time, I think this is just a normal winter in terms of temperature. I live in a house with a fireplace but have never used it because of the work involved, buying the wood and the cleanup. At night I have a high quality waterbed with heater and just turn up the thermostat this time of year. Also years ago I found a small (8" x 10") electric heater at Walmart that I just put at the my feet (heat rises) as I watch TV in the evenings or in my office on the computer. Works for me...and yes, having lived and travelled many places around the globe...this is the fifth best climate (or better) in the world!!!  

We have a gas fireplace that we use occasionally at night when we watch movies. We also have a portable propane heater when it's colder.

Our bedroom faces the west so it stays warmer than our other rooms. We don't use a heater in there but do add an extra blanket. We keep our ceiling fan on.