Chapala.com Webboard

May have termites but not sure

EldonNova

There is a tiny hole at the edge of my ceiling fan and something is causing a brown substance to seep out of there and I am not sure if it is termites or something else.  When I went to Prisa in Ajijic, the guy said it would not be termites as there is no wood in the ceiling, just concrete and plaster, although I know from experience there are metal beams in the ceiling as well.  He suggested putting a sealer on the hole to close it and see what happens.  Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem.  If so, how did you stop this brown substance from coming out of the tiny hole.  Today it was about a meter long and not very narrow.  This is about the third time I have removed the stuff and it always comes back.  Obviously I must fill the hole, but with what?

Is it the blade that is leaking, or the motor, or none of the above? Most fan blades are painted particle board. You can replace them with metal, this is popular on the coasts, using a commercial grade fan. The motor has a small amount of grease, but is unlikely to run. Unless water is leaking through the ceiling above the fan and causing corrosion/rust. The problem with ceiling fans, in all the Mexican places we have lived, they require an expensive service because they are so high up they require an extra tall ladder. They should really be serviced using a scaffold, because removing and replacing fan can be a two man job.

• Like 1