Chapala.com Webboard

Things we’ve learned living in Mexico

Dostortas

Some light hearted things we’ve learned living here, would love to hear some of your sweet sentiments...

A house without lime is like a clock with no time

All colors go together 

The free road is going to cost you

Anything on the floor looks like a scorpion 

Water pressure is like air, you don’t think about it until you don’t have it

18 Celsius can be cold

Roosters don’t just crow at dawn

Time is complicated, noise and cold are relative 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

One of the best all-purpose excuses for not showing up and not calling to say you can't make it is "I had to take my mother to the doctor". Who could possibly get mad at someone who took their mom to the doctor?

Agree, who could upset or angry..I get p##see when they do not have the courtesy,respect,manners to call you

13 hours ago, mudgirl said:

One of the best all-purpose excuses for not showing up and not calling to say you can't make it is "I had to take my mother to the doctor". Who could possibly get mad at someone who took their mom to the doctor?

At Lakeside it's " I had to go to Guad"

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

Agree, who could upset or angry..I get p##see when they do not have the courtesy,respect,manners to call you

Get WhatsApp on your cell phone and learn to use it correctly. Being an old fart waiting for phone calls is your problem not theirs. 😊

• Like 2

After 22 years, full time, in 2 different States, we have developed memes that we regularly refer to.

You would have to care

No sense of personal space

Como Mexico, no hay dos

Mistakes were made but not by me  (Winston Churchill, I think said it first)

Que sera, sera really is true here

We live in the land of event time, not clock time 

22 minutes ago, gringal said:

The chances of a gringo letting you into a line of traffic are way lower than that of a Mexican driver doing so.

Well, that depends. As a female, what I have found is that male Mexican drivers will usually be courteous and let me in, while Mexican female drivers not only won't, they pointedly keep their eyes firmly fixed straight ahead pretending they don't even see me.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

Well, that depends. As a female, what I have found is that male Mexican drivers will usually be courteous and let me in, while Mexican female drivers not only won't, they pointedly keep their eyes firmly fixed straight ahead pretending they don't even see me.

Haha, yes the old; no eye contact, no foul; gets used NOB a lot as well. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, RickS said:

...cultural differences are often seen as something else.

Well don't  we have cultural  feelings, respect and  consideration  is a two way street.

Mother's  died my condolences,  don't  worry I will pay you for your absence ....oh by my way can always let me know  if your  late or can't  come. Sounds  painless  to me