Chapala.com Webboard

new years dinner

happyjillin

3 hours ago, AndyPanda said:

There has been an over-abundance of lobster the last two years, due to warming waters, and a vastly huge inventory of turkeys this year, due to lockdowns. Yet the prices for both here have risen beyond reason.

Probably processing, shipping. and cold storage has risen in cost.. Like what ranchers face when the price of beef on the hoof drops, but the "middle" people don´t come down on their prices, prices then to the consumer don´t reflect it.

Several years back I took my wife to Red Lobster in Guad for her birthday and an over one pound lobster was well over $100 us. Depends on what you want and are willing to pay,no?  4 Over one pounders for $100 seems a good deal to me. I'll check the fishmonger in Ajijic on the carretera just west of Colon . His stuff is usually great and he carries flounder. my wife will benefit by getting her favorite lobster. She prefers live though. Please stop thinking in US and think in pesos. 

17 hours ago, AndyPanda said:

There has been an over-abundance of lobster the last two years, due to warming waters, and a vastly huge inventory of turkeys this year, due to lockdowns. Yet the prices for both here have risen beyond reason.

Price for Turkey's was very cheap this year in USA, I paid 89 cents a pound.  Price is still the same for Christmas and New Years.  I don't understand why COSTCO, Walmart and others would not have cheap turkeys in Mexico.  Much beef is exported to Mexico so why would turkeys not be also.

30 minutes ago, Tingting said:

OK...this is the second drool post that Pedro has made. I PROTEST!!! (mainly because my cooking skills are of the "Easy Bake Oven" level and I would take these delectable tails and turn them into something that would make a crematorium envious)

There are many instructional vids on Youtube. They helped me finally get it right.

1 hour ago, Upfront said:

no idea what kind of delivery trail adds to the price but right now this week up north prices are as low as 5.99 a pound making that about 12 a kilo. these are not wholesale

https://fishmanmkt.com/pages/market-prices

And in Mass. And you ain't gonna get live Atlantic lobster here nor dead ones either. The tails we get here are from a different species entirely that has no claws and they only have to travel from our coast where they are flash frozen.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, happyjillin said:

And in Mass. And you ain't gonna get live Atlantic lobster here nor dead ones either. The tails we get here are from a different species entirely that has no claws and they only have to travel from our coast where they are flash frozen.

I think the biggest bang for the buck is buying tails and not whole lobsters.

Perhaps you should get a local commission on lobster sales for starting this thread HJ?

😉

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

I don't want to loose Boca Mar on Jaurez,Chapala. Please support them. I got excellent pulpo a while ago and yesterday we got HUGE whole shrimp[only 4 each was enough] like you would get off the dock in Mazatlan. Biggest that I've seen here and absolutely delish! They will also cook a lunch for you.

Agreed, we recently ordered their Flounder Fillet..Perfect.  Also have had 2 large orders of their coconut shrimp for parties, huge amounts and all were all eaten and highly praised..Always a great selection of fresh fish, they will cook/fry your selection and deliver..

• Thanks 1