Chapala.com Webboard

Too much rancor

CHILLIN

People seem to be exhausted and irritable as this year is ending. I am posting this video of Taj Mahal and Ry Cooder tackling Statesboro Blues. Don' t know why. Maybe it will make people smile and tap a foot, or maybe a flood of emails that this has nothing to do with Lakeside.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Two of the all time greats, and some of my personal faves. Did cheer me up to watch. Last time I saw Taj live, maybe 10-15 years ago, I was working backstage, and he did his usually great set, but afterwards he looked tired and old (still a handsome man, though) and the woman he was with, not sure if she was his wife, shuttled him off back to their hotel. Looked like bedtime for the oldsters, no more partying backstage.

1 hour ago, mudgirl said:

Two of the all time greats, and some of my personal faves. Did cheer me up to watch. Last time I saw Taj live, maybe 10-15 years ago, I was working backstage, and he did his usually great set, but afterwards he looked tired and old (still a handsome man, though) and the woman he was with, not sure if she was his wife, shuttled him off back to their hotel. Looked like bedtime for the oldsters, no more partying backstage.

Are you an IATSE gal? Maybe we are trade union compatible, also OP&CMIA! He is 78 years old and he first performed this song with Ry Cooder in 1965. Scary though, if he finds out the highest google search with his name is "Is Taj Majal still alive?"

2 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

Are you an IATSE gal?

Not really, although I was a member at one point. I was trying to get into working in wardrobe for the movies, but never actually did, because I lived on Vancouver Island, and almost all the work was in Vancouver. And I moved to Mexico shortly after that.

I was backstage because I had like an eternal backstage pass, sort of, for the Comox Valley Music Fest, which grew out of the Renaissance Faires, where I worked some years in the staff kitchen, then on security, then with a friend who put up his big circus-type tent as crowd cover. Saw a lot of great live music over the years. That was the third time I'd seen Taj live. First time was in Austin when I was in my 20's, then at a small music festival in Ontario, where he wasn't even billed, but just showed up and played, then on Vancouver Island.