Chapala.com Webboard

You Talk about Stupid ...

Jackie

I am trying to write this without using an expletives .. and had to  double  up on high blood medicine.

Today in San Juan Cosala  around 1PM,,,  There was a display of arrogance and stupidity  in it's grand glory.                                                                                                                                   

A  Mexican man [ no mask ] leading five horses down the street - coming from the West on Dominguillo .                                                                                                                                     On each of the horses was an American woman [ no mask ] and sitting immediately behind her was a youngish boy [ no mask  ].. they were back [ hers ] to front [ the boy ]  .        Someone inquired politely in  the neighborhood  why  the women were not wearing  mask.  The  reply was - we are six feet a part .                                                                                             

It was pointed put that the young boy  sitting right behind each woman on her horse was not  6 feet apart.                                                                                                                                    Again  the reply was -  we are six feet apart [ meaning the horses were six feet part.]   

They said that they were visiting for Christmas.. which means that they were in two airports, possibly three in among a crowd of people,  on at least one plane ,                                              using at least two  modes of transport  to and from each airport,  most likely did not  stay at 'home' for several days after their arrival, wherever they are staying                                     here in Mexico  on this    'sharing'   holiday visit.

I understand  the Mexican man's need to earn a living,  but one has to believe that these woman have  read or listened  to the news of what is happening to thousands of people each day in the US  in this pandemic .. and they act like taking safety precautions for themselves  and others would be a wise and intelligent thing to do.                                                Apparently not...  so they now have potentially exposed  people in the community of SJC  to a possible uptick of case because of their care-free attitude, lack of caring and intelligence..    I just shake my head in wonder trying to understand what goes through some people's minds. 

• Thanks 3
  • Sad 3

There is so much I'd like to say to the OP, but I'm afraid of the words I'd use, so I'll just put it this way:  they were outside in the sunshine, obviously not close to you, so why don't you let those affected get righteously indignant and stick your nose in something that actually requires your attention? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Tingting,  Thank  your for your politeness and opinion.  I will not get into a  'contest'  with you, as we both have our own opinions. 

These five children live in my community..  even outside in the sunshine would not offer that much protection  from possible exposure as they were  so close.  As you know living here for a long period of time as I have,  a Mexican is not going to speak up about wearing a mask, especially to a non-Mexican. and  if there is possibility about loosing some money he needs for his family.  I do believe that we are our  brother's keeper  and need to speak up for those who can not or will not, when something is not right. .         I have  fellow nurse friends north who are putting their lives on the line for others, one has already died from Covid , taking care of people including those who will not wear masks. If we do not speak up, then we agree with what is happening. 

• Like 4

Jackie, I also do not intend, nor want, to get into a "contest" with you; however, there is a difference between having an opinion and interfering. If you feel threatened by this type of situation, then you have every right to keep yourself covered and cross the street to protect yourself. What you don't have is the right to tell others how to live their lives. Frankly, if someone told me to "mask up" while I'm walking outside, I would offer him an alternative suggestion that involves self abuse. I do not believe I'm anyone's keeper other than my own. The one thing I do not have the chutzpah to do is to tell a Mexican how to behave in his country. They tell me what the laws are and I respect and obey them. Other than that, I'm not a citizen so I don't have the right to tell them how to do things. Just because I don't speak up doesn't mean I agree with a situation....nor does it mean I disagree. 

I have to add one thing that makes me laugh...when I go somewhere to shop, I will not put my mask on until I'm approaching the entrance to the store for the old "slop and temp" routine. Every so often, I'll get the death glare from some self-righteous gringo/a (not at all meaning to imply you're like this) who pointedly adjusts/touches their own mask. These same folks are the first to just jam themselves between me and the produce I'm bagging or grab an item directly in front of me on the shelf without saying so much as an "excuse me" or "do you mind if I..." but they'll be covered by their Darth Vader mask, gloves, etc while they continue to glare. Gotta love it!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I think those kids would have been in a lot more danger on the back of a moto bike (mask or not)without a helmet. I have seen recently a maybe 10 year old with a maybe 8 year old clinging to the back of a moto bike careening lower SAT at high speeds sin helmets. Lets get real here!!!

• Like 1

I am with Jackie. Those Mexican children were clearly put at risk. While they might not get sick, they can certainly catch Covid and spread it to their family and neighbors. Some of us are concerned about our community, not just ourselves. And I will admit I have been told I am a 'bossy bitch'.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Nowhere in your original Post did you say/suggest that the 'youngest boy' lived in your community as opposed to 'belonging' to the women riding. In the latter case.... belonging... I see no reason why these people would be required to wear masks.  Learning that they did not 'belong' to the women does change the picture.

But what I don't yet know/understand is 'why Post the message' here?  What can anyone on this Board do. Are you just looking for a forum to give us your opinion about people like them? If so, then OK we now know. But.....

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TelsZ4 said:

are you a control freak...? Just mind your own business.

In case you haven't heard, COVID is a highly communicable disease. Those kids get infected, they bring it home to the rest of their family, those people spread it to more, within days there are scores or hundreds more infections and it happens fast. What was "not your business" last week could land you in the hospital on a ventilator next week.

The health of one's community and people ignoring safety precautions is everyone's business, especially when it concerns a virus which can be deadly or cause long-lasting health problems. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Everyone knows the wearing of a mask is not for your protection but for the protection of others.  A person has self rights but not at the expense of others.  The women had been traveling and should have self quarantined and certainly should have been wearing masks.  They showed a total disregard for the health of others.  How can we expect the Mexicans to mask when privileged people ignore the common good. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

i understand that the medical staff receive N95 masks which provide protection against viruses. Up north apparently N95 masks are not available to the public. The best we can get are imitation N95's called  KN95s which I have been able to buy both in the US and lakeside.