Chapala.com Webboard

Seeking electric coffee bean grinder...

I am a total coffee freak...10 cup pot on first thing in the morning and usually drinking it till early afternoon!!! Buy the best beans (from Vera Cruz ) by the kilo from Francisco's truck parked near Pharmacia Guadalajara on the carretera. My coffee bean grinder that I had bought at Walmart about 10 years ago finally called it a day. Went back there to replace it but nada...same place where the coffee pots and filters are and searched the entire area. Maybe just sold out. I went to all the bazaars along the highway in SAT and Riberas and also no go. Any suggestions...prefer near SAT. Gracias   

The one I had for years from Walmart was a small burr grinder that you could set for a specific # of cups (in my case 10) for each use. The couple of ones recommended here from Amazon are much too large and expensive. Besides, I am now hearing here that Amazon is asking for much personal information regarding payment that I do not agree with. I will be in Ajijic on Tuesday and check into the Dollar store and also Café Grano Café and update my grinder adventure here.  

13 hours ago, RickS said:

10 cups of coffee a day?!?

Si, 10 cups or 5 - 6 mugs over a 4 - 5 hour period during my morning fast. I have been on the 16/8 diet even before I knew there was a name for it. Google "health benefits of coffee" and you will see many including longer life. I do not use sugar only a little soy milk powder. Works for me!!! 

36 minutes ago, oregontochapala said:

I order at least one something from Amazon MX almost every week and an occasional something from Amazon US, and I have never been asked for any personal information aside from payment info and shipping address (unchanged for 4- years).

For someone who loves to scream FAKE NEWS!!!!, you might consider that your filter when reading written content might need replacing. What is real seems to be rather nebulous for a few on this board.

OK...I was wrong about the site...it was Mercado Libre as posted here not long ago:

SUBJECT: Mercado Libre ID required

I am trying to log into Mercado Libre and they are now requiring you upload a copy of your Mexican ID with photo.   It would not accept my drivers license, passport, or Temporal Residencia Visa.  I don't have my final card yet but don't know if that will be accepted either.  Anyone have any luck buying at Mercado Libre with these new requirements?  I absolutely don't shop at Amazon, so please don't suggest that.

Another post:

Happened to me too as buyer and as seller. They only accept INE/IFE. But you need to contact support to ask if they can accept passport/residence card. It might be necessary to contact several times as depending on the person who answers might not know passport is possible too for non Mexicans as they think we can also get an INE. Support of ML is pretty much hit or miss. But you will finally get some one who will accept your passport and residence card as ID.

This was reinforced by many posters on that thread. So sue me for getting the site wrong but I still much rather buying in person and with CASH.

Between Liverpool and the Kitchen Store in Galerias there is a good selection of grinders. Kitchen Store is on the upper level at the opposite end of the mall from Liverpool. Of course the above mentioned Amazon or Amazon Mexico is there for you too. 

19 hours ago, RickS said:

I would strongly recommend a 'burr' type grinder as opposed to a 'blade' type.

Although I've always fresh ground and can't handle a bad cup of coffee, I never heard of this difference in grinders before, so I looked it up. As far as I can tell, the advantage to the burr grinders only has to do with being able to better control the grind? But I've always used a French press, and I've always ground my coffee fine for that, although they say to use coarser. Never really understood why- my coffee turns out great and the coarser the grind, the less flavor you get out of it.

14 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

Why not go total old school and buy a german, heirloom quality, handcranked grinder. The best part is the smell anyways.

https://www.lehmans.com/product/top-crank-german-coffee-mill/

No thanks...not in my price range and gave up manual labor years ago!!! 

$119 dollar for that.. you have to be kidding.. we had one just like that when I was a kid .It was my job to grind the coffee , I would sit on a stool with that thing between my legs to prevent it from moving and ended up with more bruises..Not the mot practical thing on earth, give me an electric grinder any day..

• Like 1