Chapala.com Webboard

Mike the Scammer at it again

Just now got a call from a friendly American sounding youngish man.

him: Hi, how you doing? You know who this is right? (wants you to suggest a name)

me: No, who? 

Him: It's Mike.

me: Where do I know you from?

him: The Hotel.

me: Who are you calling here?

him: Your mother asked me to call.(Mother died at 95!)

me: What did she want you to tell me?

him: She says she wants to ----me. CLICK.

So just a heads up, be wary of making assumptions of who's calling, don't give up any info .  These guys make the rounds here every few months and hate it when they know you've caught on...

• Thanks 3

I've had several calls from that jerk over the years.  His come on is so stupid I can't believe anyone would fall for it.  So, I just play along with him like... "Oh, hi Mike I was hoping you would call, I really want to give you some money, but you know I just don't understand these online ways of banking and I'm scared to carry much cash around with me so if you could meet me at the bank by the plaza in Ajijic, I can get the cash and we could walk over to the police station across the street where I would feel much safer giving you lots of money..."

Click.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mike called us this week. He speaks English well. The calls were about 3 hours apart. The first time he told my husband he wanted to visit.(He doesn't know where we live). The next time I answered and said "look we don't know you so stop calling". Not sure of his scam since he doesn't ask for money. 

1 - has anyone seen a phone # on the call display for this person?   If so please post it for all to share.

2 - possibilites:   a - could be a local scam, b - could just be a local whacko, or c - could be part of a more sophisticated data gathering thing where they start to build up contact info linked to your phone #.      That kind of data mining is very valuable in the world of big data, even just things like answering the phone at certain times of day, male or female voice, etc.....all builds a profile.    Could even be recording your voice......cuidado.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Go Solar said:

1 - has anyone seen a phone # on the call display for this person?   If so please post it for all to share.

2 - possibilites:   a - could be a local scam, b - could just be a local whacko, or c - could be part of a more sophisticated data gathering thing where they start to build up contact info linked to your phone #.      That kind of data mining is very valuable in the world of big data, even just things like answering the phone at certain times of day, male or female voice, etc.....all builds a profile.    Could even be recording your voice......cuidado.

The bots are out there!!!

• Confused 1