Chapala.com Webboard

Visa for permanent nursing home care?

1Iola

There is so much information floating around about the processes involved in immigrating to Mexico that it's easy to forget the basics:

• A visitor permit is for foreign tourists (for stays of up to 180 days);
  • A temporary resident visa is for temporary foreign residents (for stays of more than 180 days but not longer than 4 years);
  • A permanent resident visa is for permanent foreign residents (for those who wish to remain in Mexico indefinitely).

From Sonia Diaz's site, http://www.soniadiaz.mx/immigration---visas.html

Humanitarian Visas

Humanitarian Visas are free for those in Mexico including Tourists or one with no visa. Applicant must be unable to travel to outside of Mexico and as in so doing the applicant's life would be at risk and may die The humanitarian visa requires an examination and letter from the applicant's physician stating those words re: risk as noted. Next, that document is presented to a physician approved by Immigration who issues a very specific letter. In San Miguel, only one doctor is acceptable to INM and she will send a nurse to the applicant's home for a final evaluation. Humanitarian visas are renewed annually. A person with a Humanitarian visa may apply for Temporary or Permanent Resident visa locally based on financials. 

• Thanks 1

@AngusMactavishI agree they won't be turned in by nursing home. 

What I'm not sure about is health care; tourist visas will not give you access to the MXN public health care system. 

Maybe Humanitarian status will help with that???

OP should probably contact Spencer McMullin or other local attorney.  

2 hours ago, RVGRINGO said:

I hope that the OP does not expect to move to Mexico for nursing home care/assisted living and have Mexico pay the bills!

Since Mexico doesn't do that for anyone why would you have this concern?

I would guess since it is so much more affordable here and the climate so much better particularly for the old they would come for that reason.  And I would expect they'd have to follow the same visa rules as everyone else.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1