Chapala.com Webboard

Covid 19 virus vaccinations

artsnob

Up in Seattle according to my GP,  those of us in group 2 (those 75 and above) should be getting our first vaccine shot sometime in late Jan or early Feb. The Doctors and medical staff are getting there shots now. I sure want to come home to Ajijic. I am getting tired of TV dinners. All my relatives my age are staying in and self quarantining until we can get our shots. I made a lot of Christmas calls today. But none of us are getting together to party.

I sure miss you all lakeside. I hope to be back in mid to late February.  

I wish you all a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

• Like 4

You will have to wait until some weeks after your second shot, but will still need to use PPEs and social distancing. Being vaccinated does not fully protect you; but it might help you survive a bout of CV19.......Maybe.......For some.

On 12/25/2020 at 11:53 AM, RVGRINGO said:

You will have to wait until some weeks after your second shot, but will still need to use PPEs and social distancing. Being vaccinated does not fully protect you; but it might help you survive a bout of CV19.......Maybe.......For some.

RV I am hearing that one should wait a minimum of 7 days after the second shot. And yes, masks and distancing is still a very good idea even then.  

On 12/26/2020 at 10:13 AM, lakeside7 said:

No time for us to be complicated .Regardless of what we hear or are  fed, it seems that from other reliable sources it would seem that Mexico is having real problems with high infections and deaths and number of shots  on order

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-55440940

Recently I read that Mexico state, with less than 15 percent of the country's population has half the cases and deaths.  I haven't read anything that offers an explanation for this.  Mexico state is by far the most urbanized in the country.

A lot of interesting data and common sense here:

Does everybody realize that the government vaccination program in Australia has been stopped due to people that got vaccinated later showing up testing positive for HIV.  So many people that got vaccinated later tested positive for HIV that the government put an immediate stop to the vaccine.  I realize the Australian government says the vaccine was locally made and has claimed that it only shows false positives......but still....who wants to take a Covid vaccine if you later test positive for HIV.  Guys, none of these vaccines have been properly tested for sufficient years to prove that they are safe.  Only get it if you trust the government beyond a shadow of a doubt.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-australia-55269381

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, dichosalocura said:

Does everybody realize that the government vaccination program in Australia has been stopped due to people that got vaccinated later showing up testing positive for HIV.  So many people that got vaccinated later tested positive for HIV that the government put an inmedidiate stop to the vaccine.  I realize the Australian government says the vaccine was locally made and has claimed that it only shows false positives......but still....who wants to take a Covid vaccine if you later test positive for HIV.  Guys, none of these vaccines have been properly tested for sufficient years to prove that they are safe.  Only get it if you trust the government beyond a shadow of a doubt.

"But it also generated HIV antibodies in some recipients - which meant it showed false positives for HIV. Further testing proved the HIV wasn't there."

3 hours ago, dichosalocura said:

Re read my post, I pointed that out already so people couldn't accuse me later of misleading.  But still would you be in line to get that Covid vaccine if people were later testing positive for HIV, be it only false positives or not?  Sounds like the vaccine in some places can be scarier than the disease.

This was an Australian version of the vaccine. There are dozens of different vaccines all over the world in clinical trials. Some, like the Australian version, have been discarded. Others may prove to be valuable in the future.

I see this as a crap shoot. Do we want to risk the awful short and long-term side effects that too often come with Covid infection, or risk the vaccine? We each make our own decisions.

• Like 1

Of course MtnMama, and in my first post I think I made it perfectlly clear that it was a Covid vaccine made locally in Australia.  But can you imagine a country the size and as rich as Australia can make mistakes with their vaccine, the USA and Europe most certainly can too.  Every day I read about new evidence that if you have such and such ailment you should not take the vaccine or if you take such and such medicines then you should not take it.  The vaccine is spanking new it has not even been around for 7 months yet.  Lots of people have already had severe allergic reactions to it.  A vaccine for a virus that has a 98 to 99% survival rate, it sounds like this brand new vaccine may possibly be riskier than getting the virus itself.  Everybody has to make their own decisons regarding their own safety and what risks they feel safe taking and they must decide whether they can or should blindly trust the government to be honest with them to keep them safe.  I for one will wait a few years before taking any novel vaccine.  I'm just saying......

• Thanks 1

Deciding whether or not to get the vaccine is our first decision. Next, will we get documentation that proves we have been vaccinated? From what I am reading,  proof of being vaccinated will probably be required to fly, perhaps proof will be needed when driving and trying to cross an international border.  What if they decide we need proof to renew our car registration,  pay property taxes etc., ect. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ibarra said:

Deciding whether or not to get the vaccine is our first decision. Next, will we get documentation that proves we have been vaccinated? From what I am reading,  proof of being vaccinated will probably be required to fly, perhaps proof will be needed when driving and trying to cross an international border.  What if they decide we need proof to renew our car registration,  pay property taxes etc., ect. 

I certainly hope that anyone traveling , by air, cruising visiting a foreign country etc, will have to show proof of having been vaccinated. The reason countries like New Zealand have low , non existent pandemic is because it acted quickly to close its borders and will only allow returnees to isolate at their own expense and the process is closely monitored

14 minutes ago, dichosalocura said:

Yeah, its a new scary world we are all moving into.  

Only if one gets scared with a solution to a pandemic as opposed to having to living in one. Personally I'm for the former, not the latter. BTW, you quoted a 98-99% SURVIVAL rate. Do you have some data that suggests that there is a 1-2% death rate with these new vaccines? Or did I misread your intent?

Maybe so, maybe not. But suggesting that as a fact now is more than misleading. Being 'of an age' and waiting patiently for my vaccine shot I pay close attention to these kind of reports. So far I have heard of 'allergic' and 'severely allergic' reactions... one even from a doc that had known allergies to shell fish... but I've certainly heard of NO deaths. 

• Like 2

Those scaredy-cat people here afraid of taking a proven vaccine for worldwide pandemic relief should rethink their position. The tiny, tiny, tiny % of people with minimal side effects or injection site irritation is well worth the elimination of this scourge to mankind. The short term "herd immunity" for ALL depends on MOST taking this vaccine. Lets not be selfish regarding this. I will be first in line at the SAT clinic when my number comes up!!!  

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, dichosalocura said:

Upfront, I pointed out that it gave false positives, but that is kind of scary, don't ya think?

It was a TRIAL. All sorts of medications are found to be dangerous or ineffective in trials, that is why they are trialed first before releasing them for public consumption. 

And you do understand the difference between having antibodies for something and actually having the disease?

• Confused 1