Chapala.com Webboard

Salt water Pool Maintenance - Ajijic Water changes?

Carnivore

We've had a large salt water pool (100,000 ltrs) for 15 years.  For the last 6 or 7 months we have, unlike any previous time, had to constantly reduce the PH level.  Our pool supplier says that we are not alone and that the incoming water's PH level is far higher than in recent history.  Has anyone else had the same experience?  

When my fraccionamiento started sending me different water that affected the operation of my salt water pool I bought  a Tracer pocketester. So that I could meassure Salt level, TDS etc. and get immedaite results rather than waiting for the salt water system meter to show any changes (it can take a day). Then I could make immediate chemical adjustments. This system worked well.  

REPEAT OF ORIGINAL POST FOR "OUT1"

We've had a large salt water pool (100,000 ltrs) for 15 years.  For the last 6 or 7 months we have, unlike any previous time, had to constantly reduce the PH level.  Our pool supplier says that we are not alone and that the incoming water's PH level is far higher than in recent history.  Has anyone else had the same experience?  

To clarify.  We have never, in prior years, ever had to concern ourselves about elevated PH levels.  Our water has always been tested daily and with the regular addition of salt we've always been able to maintain normal chemical levels.  As stated in the opening post "For the last 6 or 7 months" something has changed and we're having to add "PH Minus" approximately every 3rd or 4th day.  Naturally, constantly reducing the PH results in our Chlorine level remaining quite high.  In addition our salt usage since the the PH problem began is far less than in past years....probably 1/4 of what we would have always used in the past.  However, there has been a benefit in that our pool water is crystal clear and we have zero sign of algae or calcium crystallization on the pool walls or floor.  We live in east central Ajijic, south of the Carretera.

Like I said I have been adjusting the pH down for over 10 years.

I only check the chlorine and pH levels once per week and usually need to add some pH down.

About 4 weeks ago I drained my pool to replace a few tiles and the light; and have refilled it; precipitated the metals with chlorine, and just getting back to normal now. I have not noticed anything out of the ordinary.

We live central Ajijic, a block west of Barbara's Bazaar.

If you adjust the alkalinity first, keeping the pH in the proper range will be easier. Any 5 way test kit will have an alkalinity test. You already have muriatic acid for reducing pH. Get some baking soda to treat low alkalinity(add thru the skimmer). High alkalinity is treated with acid, just like high pH. 

• Confused 1

To keep a close eye on your salt water pool you really need a separate salt/ TDS meter. The built in meter is too slow to catch changes. The test kits aren't very accurate.