Chapala.com Webboard

Hotel Laguna, Ajijic

tonyburton

ajijicbound - Thank you for adding the link to my blog post about Jacques Van Belle, the photographer of the image I'm asking about. Though relatively little is known about him, he certainly took some interesting photos of Ajijic.

As for the photo I posted, I'm still hoping that someone can provide me some additional clues to confirm that "Hotel Laguna" really was the name at one time for the (old) Posada Ajijic. Was that what the Posada bar looked like back in the day? Whether it was or not, can anyone recognize any the people sitting in the bar?

The old Hotel Posada was named Hacienda El Tlacuache by the Ramirez family, until it was renamed POSADA AJIJIC  in the late 30's. A few rooms and a bar were added and it became a hotel. Nigel Stensbury Millett, a British author living with the Ramirez family, was the first manager. 

I never heard it referred to as "Hotel Laguna" .

My memory from my first visit in 1970 isn't good enough to say if the photo is the Posada Ajijic bar or not.

• Like 1

Thanks to all who have responded. Your help is appreciated.

A couple of readers elsewhere have suggested that Hotel Laguna was one of the names used for the property better known as Quinta Mi Retiro (aka Hotel del General), which was located between the Old Posada Ajijic and La Nueva Posada. I think this is probably correct but would still be interested if anyone is able to confirm this (or recognizes any of the people drinking in the bar).

Here is an excerpt from an interview with Michael Eager. He says there were no other hotels. A very good interview.

https://bestplacesintheworldtoretire.com/stories/mexico/my-life-in-mexico/my-life-in-chapala-ajijic-mexico/an-interview-with-michael-eager-about-the-unlikely-events-that-led-his-family-to-come-to-ajijic-in-the-first-place-and-then-to-b/

We ran it for 15 years and it was the local watering hole. There were no other restaurants, there were no other bars, and there were no other hotels, so if you wanted to know what was going on in the world you would go down to the old Posada and talk to some of the new hotel guests to find out what’s going on in the States or what was going on in Canada. Either that, or you would listen to my father giving his idea of the ideal world.

• Thanks 1

Update:

A friend of Michael Eager (La Nueva Posada Ajijic) lived next door to the Hotel Anita during his childhood and has positively identified the images of Hotel Laguna as Hotel Anita.

It remains unclear whether the hotel was ever formally called Hotel Laguna or whether this was just the photographer's choice of caption. 

- A huge THANK-YOU to all who responded to this thread and for your ideas, suggestions and support. Happy New Year!

• Like 1