Chapala.com Webboard

Looking for a condo to Purchase in Puerto Vallarta

1 hour ago, cedros said:

I have been to most of the beaches on the west coast of Mexico. Except for a few the water is murky and often there are a lot of sting rays. So it is a mystery to me why the Riveria Nayarit is developing so rapidly as there are few beaches that have clear water (Pontoque beach between PV and Punta Mita is an exception). If you want clear water you have to use the hotel swimming pools.

Curious. Is the Pontoque beach what used to be widely known as a nude beach?

Imagine it is all developed now. The water higher up the bay seems clearer, where Thor Pederson built his Morroco style mansion, Punto Burro.

Seems like the quickest way to kill an area with rampant over commercialzation is to build high speed, safe road access. That was the arrow through the heart for Acapulco, a nice toll road from CDMX. Now the arrow is notched and aiming to draw in Guadalajara.

• Thanks 1

On 12/22/2020 at 11:18 AM, John Shrall said:

Maybe...1362663928_IMG_4321Updated.thumb.jpg.cbec8005e63280f464207e7a59b19c7e.jpg

Semana Santa 2015 Guayabitos.

You could be right. But on the Caribbean coast of Mexico the beaches and water are fabulous.

19 hours ago, AndyPanda said:

I'd say the majority don't care to swim in the ocean. Drinkers want a pool and a bar and a lounge chair.

That is possible and likely as the water is so univiting at Guagayatios. But on the Caribbean coast where the sand is so white and the water to clear I certainly prefer the ocean over a pool.

24 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

Curious. Is the Pontoque beach what used to be widely known as a nude beach?

Imagine it is all developed now. The water higher up the bay seems clearer, where Thor Pederson built his Morroco style mansion, Punto Burro.

Seems like the quickest way to kill an area with rampant over commercialzation is to build high speed, safe road access. That was the arrow through the heart for Acapulco, a nice toll road from CDMX. Now the arrow is notched and aiming to draw in Guadalajara.

The only nude beach that I knew of in Nayarit was just southeast of Playa Destiladeras.

Pontoque beach was northwest of Destiladeras. It had a reef offshore so the water was clear and had beautiful sand. There was a well known restaurant there called Paraiso Escondido.  The owner(in a wheelchair) was evicted from the property when many kilometers of the coast were bought up by develpoers. Many of the beaches have been renamed so it is a bit confusing.

If you want clear turquoise water you have to go to the Caribbean or the Indian Ocean. Probably others but I've been to both of these places.

Beach orientation on the Pacific plays a big role as to whether the beach is calm or wild with big waves surfers love. Sayulita, San Pancho and Chacala face due west and have some pretty good waves along with rip tides. Guayabitos for example is oriented northwest in a protected bay so the waves are generally minimal.

The OP was asking about condos which often but not always have pools. If you buy a house you can add a pool as long as there is sufficient room on the property. Having access to both is a big plus.

One possible reason for the expansion along the Pacific is access to large population centers. With the new cuota finished at some point, the drive from Guadalajara becomes minimal. From Mexico City it is probably over 20 hours to the Cancun beaches and half of that to the Pacific, easily a day trip versus 2 days. 

• Like 1

Have seen many Semana Santas on Los Muertos beach. Many Mexicans have not been taught how to swim, unless they attended an elite private school. Same as tennis and golf. You see very few swimmers. Except for some of the local boys showing off to the tourists, but mostly riding waves on boogie boards. The young girls are mostly afraid of the water, they seem to imagine a giant hand is going to emerge from a wave and steal them away. They are constantly screaming, as a wave comes in to "attack" them.

The Pacific blue is a sign there is lots of life in the water. Good for fishing, whale watching etc. The crystal clear waters are a sign of very little aquatic life. But there are still plenty of fish cruising through.

7 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

Have seen many Semana Santas on Los Muertos beach. Many Mexicans have not been taught how to swim, unless they attended an elite private school. Same as tennis and golf. You see very few swimmers. Except for some of the local boys showing off to the tourists, but mostly riding waves on boogie boards. The young girls are mostly afraid of the water, they seem to imagine a giant hand is going to emerge from a wave and steal them away. They are constantly screaming, as a wave comes in to "attack" them.

The Pacific blue is a sign there is lots of life in the water. Good for fishing, whale watching etc. The crystal clear waters are a sign of very little aquatic life. But there are still plenty of fish cruising through.

The water at Los Muertos is not very inviting usually-too murky. Many people prefer to sit and eat on the beach but swim in pools around the area.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, John Shrall said:

If you want clear turquoise water you have to go to the Caribbean or the Indian Ocean. Probably others but I've been to both of these places.

Beach orientation on the Pacific plays a big role as to whether the beach is calm or wild with big waves surfers love. Sayulita, San Pancho and Chacala face due west and have some pretty good waves along with rip tides. Guayabitos for example is oriented northwest in a protected bay so the waves are generally minimal.

The OP was asking about condos which often but not always have pools. If you buy a house you can add a pool as long as there is sufficient room on the property. Having access to both is a big plus.

One possible reason for the expansion along the Pacific is access to large population centers. With the new cuota finished at some point, the drive from Guadalajara becomes minimal. From Mexico City it is probably over 20 hours to the Cancun beaches and half of that to the Pacific, easily a day trip versus 2 days. 

I know half a dozen west coast beaches with crystal clear water. Guayabitos is not one of them and it has dark sand. Some of the ones like San Pancho that face west are pretty scary for swimming.

At this time of the year, yes, the sun sets far to the left when you're on the beach in Sayulita. Same in San Pancho. Starting on the 21st of December, it starts moving north again. Both beaches mostly face west... and the sun tracks left to right (south to north) then right to left (north to south) but still sets in the ocean to the west.

10 hours ago, cedros said:

I have been to most of the beaches on the west coast of Mexico. Except for a few the water is murky and often there are a lot of sting rays. So it is a mystery to me why the Riveria Nayarit is developing so rapidly as there are few beaches that have clear water (Pontoque beach between PV and Punta Mita is an exception). If you want clear water you have to use the hotel swimming pools.

Beautiful crystal clear water beaches around Chacala, north of Guayabitos and accessed by Las Varas.

On 12/18/2020 at 7:35 AM, pappysmarket said:

We used to live in a building named "Torre Lirios"  with 12 units. Great views and probably still in your price range. Check and see if any units are listed and if so, have a look.

Manager is Adriana and she lives nearby and usually onsite in the morning. Near Old Town with access off the highway just before the tunnel.

it has really turned into an Airbnb building. I am looking around the corner on Allende. May have something there. How did you like the neighborhood?

13 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

The only decent board for PV was discontinued by Rick and Sarah several years ago. Yes, plenty of realtors and in fact you will probably need one if you wish to view many properties. Pay your money and take your chances. They only make money if you buy through them so they have a huge incentive to "help" you buy.

I have a decent one  and he has given me access to the PV MlS that the realtors use. Lots of investors are buying many units at a time so inventory is low. This agent has contacts with builders and contractors. I am going to PV in a week or so to see condos that haven't hit the MLS yet.

50 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

Jeez, guys, I live in Sayulita- the beach does not face west or mostly west. As I said , it faces NNW.

Go down to the beach with a compass. I lived in San Pancho full time for six years and overlooked the North end of the beach and saw nearly every sunset all year round. All the house windows overlooked the beach and the ocean behind it.

Michael, this discussion about orientation is important for you to consider for air flow, views and even your electricity costs for air conditioning in the summer. I remember Pappysmarket commenting on the cool breezes that he got in his location.

10 hours ago, mudgirl said:

I live in Sayulita. I don't know the exact compass point, but the sunset is far to the left when you are facing the ocean. So not exactly due north, but certainly not west, as the previous poster said.

Yes, not west more like NNW. At his time of year the sun has moved to the south. 

8 hours ago, slainte39 said:

Beautiful crystal clear water beaches around Chacala, north of Guayabitos and accessed by Las Varas.

I would not call the water there crystal clear-just clear.

10 hours ago, michael2595 said:

I have a decent one  and he has given me access to the PV MlS that the realtors use. Lots of investors are buying many units at a time so inventory is low. This agent has contacts with builders and contractors. I am going to PV in a week or so to see condos that haven't hit the MLS yet.

Sounds like you are ready to cut that "fat hog". Consider yourself lucky to have found an agent willing to let you in on some of the best deals that most people don't even have access to yet. Don't mention any names or you might have lots of competition. Bring lots of money and a "can do" attitude with you. Suerte.

10 hours ago, Ferret said:

Go down to the beach with a compass. I lived in San Pancho full time for six years and overlooked the North end of the beach and saw nearly every sunset all year round. All the house windows overlooked the beach and the ocean behind it.

Michael, this discussion about orientation is important for you to consider for air flow, views and even your electricity costs for air conditioning in the summer. I remember Pappysmarket commenting on the cool breezes that he got in his location.

Yes, "Torre Lirios" building in PV sits around 180 feet up and 1/4 mile inland with direct views of the bay with no buildings blocking views or breezes. As the mountains continue up a long ways from there we got daytime sea breezes and nighttime land breezes that enabled us to use only fans and never turned on the A/C. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, michael2595 said:

it has really turned into an Airbnb building. I am looking around the corner on Allende. May have something there. How did you like the neighborhood?

Sorry to hear that! The neighborhood is fine, still plenty of locals who make money any way they can so do not get "uppity" about anything you may see. Mind your own business and you will enjoy the area.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Ferret said:

I lived in San Pancho full time for six years and overlooked the North end of the beach and saw nearly every sunset all year round. All the house windows overlooked the beach and the ocean behind it.

I wasn't arguing that San Pancho beach faces more west. As does the north end of the Sayulita beach. But the coast curves, and the main beach in Sayulita faces mostly north. As it did 18 years ago when I moved here, does today, and no doubt will next month. It actually took me awhile to get my directional bearings here, because I'm accustomed to the beach facing west, being from coastal British Columbia.