Chapala.com Webboard

Did not return to Ajijic this year

CalgaryBoy

44 minutes ago, gringohombre said:

That is so much BS!!! "Americans, in the most part, demand conformity.” ??? Is that why the U.S. is split almost exactly in half; Red states vs. Blue states, Conservative vs. Liberal, both coasts vs. the interior, Real news vs. Fake news??? Give me a break and do your homework!!!

fb_img19.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

Half isn't the same as "for the most part."  You're contradicting yourself, Chillin.  :D 

Getting back on topic, our grand daughter and boyfriend drove from here to Indiana and back a month ago and had few problems but did need to do more advanced planning and reserving.  They were not stopped or tested beyond the usual when crossing the border in either direction.  Both hold U.S. passports.

All border tales, anywhere in the world, have to take into account profiling. If your grand daughter made the same trip one month from now, with temporary face tatoos, fake piercings, and colored dreadlocks - she would be telling an entirely different story.

Angus is bringing up the rogue elephant in the room. The one that white Americans, and polite white Canadian neighbors do not want to publically discuss.

As far as my/our decision to live in Mexico rather than Canada, I had no choice. I fell in love with this country in 1974, then had to work hard to make this marriage financially possible. I do, however, sometimes feel like that Pete Shelley Buzzcocks song, "Ever Fallen in Love" with someone you shouldn't have fallen in love with.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Upfront said:

come on. you have a sh  fit every time someone disagrees with you and you revert to saying they are making personal attacks on you. well what is SO DUMB IT IS LAUGHABLE if not a personal attack. not to mention people are giving you FACTS about america. it si my country too and i am smart enough to see it

Learn the difference between labeling a statement dumb and a person dumb.  Let me help you with a little instruction in the language:  THAT is dumb is labeling a statement or action.  YOU are dumb is labeling a person.

I followed it with a smiley precisely because I didn't think it was a serious statement, more like hyperbole.  I like to think Chillin is better educated than that.  Anyone familiar with the public schools there knows there's damn little Jesus anywhere in or around them now.

You are welcome.  :D 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, CHILLIN said:

All border tales, anywhere in the world, have to take into account profiling. If your grand daughter made the same trip one month from now, with temporary face tatoos, fake piercings, and colored dreadlocks - she would be telling an entirely different story.

Angus is bringing up the rogue elephant in the room. The one that white Americans, and polite white Canadian neighbors do not want to publically discuss.

I can see you haven't been there lately.  The styles has become rather, shall we say, creative.  My favorite are those $150 slacks that look like they were rescued from the rag bag.  Face piercings are old hat these days.  The boyfriend who was born in the U.S. is very definitely Mexican and speaks very little English.  It was no problem for either of them in either direction.

Just out of curiosity when was the last time you really were in the U.S. long enough and in enough of it to see what the culture is like up there these days?  Everything you mentioned is quite common among the young now.  I'll bet all are pretty common in Toronto and Vancouver too.  Its a wonder to me they don't all die of infections from the piercings.  :D 

5 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

There is a difference between dying WITH something versus FROM something.  That is what is in question here.  There very fact that almost all covid deaths occur in people with significant comorbidities adds this uncertainty. 

This is one of the most bandied about conspiracy theories used by those who like to deny the seriousness of COVID and the death toll it has taken.

Imagine this: You have a bad leg- an old injury that didn't heal properly. It causes you to walk with a limp, you definitely can't run. It hurts sometimes, but you've lived with it long enough to know what aggravates it, like standing for too long, walking on uneven ground, wearing shoes without good support, sitting with your legs crossed. So you try not to do those things, and if it's really bothering you, some anti-inflammatories do the job.

One day you are crossing a street in the crosswalk, as are a couple other pedestrians. Suddenly, a car comes careening around the corner, a drunk driver at the wheel. The other pedestrians manage to run to the sidewalk just in time, but your bad leg prevents you from doing so and the car hits you and kills you.

What was your cause of death? The fact that you had a bad leg, or the fact that a drunk driver hit you?

Just because someone has diabetes, or heart issues, doesn't mean they might not live another 30 or 40 years if they alter their diet, their lifestyle, and take medication for their condition. But if they contract COVID and die, it's because the virus taxed their already compromised health, therefore they died because they were infected with COVID.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, lcscats said:

It is very hard to be a moderator and post.  I leaned from trying it on the Oregonian paper years ago. It doesn't work. Pick one or the other but not both Mainecoon. 

I am the admin/mod of a specialty group on FB with over 3200 members and I do both successfully. There is excellent member participation as well,not just a few like on some boards-eh! I have not had many occasions to dump non complying members. I have even let some posts stand which contained  colourful language[of the type not permitted here] to describe me and didn't remove the poster-they left of their own accord.

15 hours ago, mudgirl said:

This is one of the most bandied about conspiracy theories used by those who like to deny the seriousness of COVID and the death toll it has taken.

Imagine this: You have a bad leg- an old injury that didn't heal properly. It causes you to walk with a limp, you definitely can't run. It hurts sometimes, but you've lived with it long enough to know what aggravates it, like standing for too long, walking on uneven ground, wearing shoes without good support, sitting with your legs crossed. So you try not to do those things, and if it's really bothering you, some anti-inflammatories do the job.

One day you are crossing a street in the crosswalk, as are a couple other pedestrians. Suddenly, a car comes careening around the corner, a drunk driver at the wheel. The other pedestrians manage to run to the sidewalk just in time, but your bad leg prevents you from doing so and the car hits you and kills you.

What was your cause of death? The fact that you had a bad leg, or the fact that a drunk driver hit you?

Just because someone has diabetes, or heart issues, doesn't mean they might not live another 30 or 40 years if they alter their diet, their lifestyle, and take medication for their condition. But if they contract COVID and die, it's because the virus taxed their already compromised health, therefore they died because they were infected with COVID.

If they said "Covid finished off this person who had 70% blockage of his coronary arteries and moderate growing prostate cancer" I would have no objection. Covid would obviously be the nail in the coffin. I do wonder how many similar cases there are that "flu" is the nail in the coffin. BTW, we take this very seriously and have not been voluntarily near anyone not in our household since this began and we always wear masks when shopping. I spent 12 days in the hospital in June so I had no choice but to be near nurses, doctors, etc. but every protocol was followed. I believe each person needs to make their own rules and I don't preach to others what they need to do.

23 hours ago, Upfront said:

you tell a person his statement is dumb you are effectively saying that person is dumb to say that. that is the difference YOU might want to learn. you are welcome. :)

but you avoided the real issue which is how you react to everyone with a differing opinion. now you are telling us you are not posting as a moderator. trust me on this. if you were not a moderator there would a whole LOT more disagreeing with you

AMEN!!!

9 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

If they said "Covid finished off this person who had 70% blockage of his coronary arteries and moderate growing prostate cancer" I would have no objection. Covid would obviously be the nail in the coffin.

I had a friend who was riddled with cancer from the age of 20, when she had to have a double mastectomy. Cancer went on to invade most of her body. She was an amazing woman- she never complained, even though she was in pain most of the time. Things would get bad, she'd go into the hospital and get a round of chemo and/or radiation (she had the distinction of having been on chemo treatments for longer than anyone else anywhere, ever). She died at the age of 55. For those 35 years she lived with cancer, she led a full life- had 2 wonderful sons, travelled a lot, grew a big organic garden, and always worked. 

Had COVID been around back when she was 25, she probably would have died from it, robbing her of another 30 years of life. This is one reason I get so irate when people downplay deaths of those who got COVID, simply because they had some other major health issue.

• Like 1

For those who have either never read the rules of this forum or have decided they are not obliged to follow them, here you go;

________________________________________________________________________________________

"It seems some of us have forgotten that this board strives to be an informative, useful and interesting place for prospective newcomers, newcomers and old-timers to share information and get their questions answered. It is not here for the purpose of expressing one's personal rancor towards another poster. Here is the impression that some of you are giving to newcomers:

Peter- thank you for bringing up this subject. While the old timers here may be used to the name calling, insults, constant criticism and back stabbing that seems to be an all-too regular feature of the webboard, it must be a real put-off for the newcomers, like myself. For those of us who are just getting our collective feet wet at living in Mexico, and obviously have ALOT to learn (often the hard way!) it only serves to make us wonder "What the h-ll am I getting myself into? Do I want to live amongst a whole pack of nasty old codgers who have a huge hate-on with the world?" Well, maybe not everyone thinks that way, but I sure did when I got some nasty remarks aimed at me a few months back, when in a horrible situation and needing help and advice. That just seems to bring the real meanies out of the woodwork. Honestly, I was ready to turn and go back. Fortunately, I've found a large and ever-expanding community of truly wonderful people from all over, foreigners and Mexicans, most of whom seem oblivious of the existence of the webboard.
Being new to this board and planning on moving to Lakeside soon, I find it most childish and offensive to read some of the "bossy, pushy, rude responses given to others. I for one, appreciate all the comments posted in regards to the many questions I have posted. I don't however like to read the "back and forth" insults.

Why don't you meet face to face in the village for a coffee and insult each other privately!

Thanks again to all on this board that have provided such valuable information.

It is appreciated more than you know!

New posters, please introduce yourself and get to know the community.

Topics are to focus on Lakeside/Guadalajara area. There is a Mexico section for the rest of Mexico. Please use it.

All are welcome here to ask questions, get answers, agree or disagree in a civil manner on things about Mexico and Lakeside living. But this is not the place to make personal comments against those you don't agree with or because you don't happen to like their opinion or topic. It is easy enought to ignore a post or topic you don't agree with. That is the appropriate action and if you think the post or topic violates this code of conduct, please bring it to the attention of anyone on the moderating team. It will be dealt with.

This reminder is not only a heads up, it is notice that we are going to really nip the personal sniping in the bud and the repeat offenders will be banned."

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

Salud digna in GDL $950mx  48 hour results by email

https://salud-digna.org/covid-19/estudio-covid-19/

4 hour from Best and it's right here. My son and dil from London got tested in an airbb they were renting and he went to them so that they were safe to come stay with us. My son went for a bike ride one day and felt weird in throat so on way back tested at Best again to make sure he was still safe.

1 hour ago, happyjillin said:

4 hour from Best and it's right here. My son and dil from London got tested in an airbb they were renting and he went to them so that they were safe to come stay with us. My son went for a bike ride one day and felt weird in throat so on way back tested at Best again to make sure he was still safe.

A PCR test with results in 4 hours would be possibly be the quickest in the world. The must send the samples to the lab in GDL the minute you leave.

What are they charging for a PCR test?

1 hour ago, Mostlylost said:

A PCR test with results in 4 hours would be possibly be the quickest in the world. The must send the samples to the lab in GDL the minute you leave.

What are they charging for a PCR test?

Look, my son with a medical background and who was tested in London as well, before they left, got it from Best arranged by my GP here because they all know that I would be dead in 24 hours or less if I got Covid. It's the nasty up the nose swab and my son paid Best so I don't know what they charge. Neither had Covid symptoms before testing and I am still alive after their almost 2 week visit. Phone Best for the price.