Chapala.com Webboard

Did not return to Ajijic this year

CalgaryBoy

7 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

As a response to yet another off topic anti-American rant, yep.  Not to mention tiresome.

So saying something positive about the way Canada has handled the COID crisis and making some observations about what I have read written by Americans is anti-American? It wasn't off-topic at all. The discussion was about whether Canadians and Americans are travelling down here much this year. Some discussion as to why is a natural segue.

What is tiresome is your attitude. If you are such a rah rah American patriot, why do you live in Mexico?

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, lakeside7 said:

I did not think there are any designate Covid beds in our local hospitals!..I am wrong?

I believe you are correct. Since Mexico has over 200,000 more "yearly deaths this year than in a normal year, NOT related to CV, makes a person wonder what's up, Doc, no?

47 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

So saying something positive about the way Canada has handled the COID crisis and making some observations about what I have read written by Americans is anti-American? It wasn't off-topic at all. The discussion was about whether Canadians and Americans are travelling down here much this year. Some discussion as to why is a natural segue.

What is tiresome is your attitude. If you are such a rah rah American patriot, why do you live in Mexico?

No, taking every opportunity to knock the U.S. as you do is tiresome.  It has been pointed out to you in the past the rather big difference between the U.S. and Canada regarding governmental structure and population and yet you keep up with the false equivalency.  The two are no more comparable than Canada and Mexico.

I wonder how you would like it as a Canadian if some of us constantly used this board to knock your country.  This board is about Mexico.  The OP is a Canadian who posed a simple question about who was coming back.  Your post with its false and insulting comparison was off topic.

Restrictions and closures on both sides of the U.S./Canadian border have to be making long distance travel by car difficult now.  Flying IMO in crowded cabins as the result of far fewer flights is pretty risky too.  I do believe once one gets here the far healthier climate and ability to distance, plus the ready available of proven therapies makes being here a better bet than being up there.  

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, RickS said:

I don't have a dog in this race, but I don't see any comments that were false and insulting.  I did see a Post that got 5 'Likes'  although.

I don't see a post here that has 5 'likes' and who should give a good GD if there is anyway!!! What is wrong with the good old English language where you can give your opinion with nuance and rationale as to your opinion rather than a cartoon!!!

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

It has been pointed out to you in the past the rather big difference between the U.S. and Canada regarding governmental structure and population and yet you keep up with the false equivalency. 

There was no false equivalency and what I said in my post had nothing to do with governmental structure or population. I said that judging from both the Americans and Canadians I know and talk to, Canadians are far more willing to take the virus seriously, not risk their health in regards to that, and abide by health directives. That has been my personal observation. There is nothing anti-America about it, but that seems to be the way you like to see things. And I have never posted anti-American anything. Anti the outgoing administration isn't anti-American. 

Born and raised in the USA.

• Like 6

US population is 8 times Canada. US has 332,000 deaths. Canada has 15,000 deaths. Multiple Canada death rate by 8 and you come up with 120,000 compared to 332,000 deaths in US.    Think what you want but Canadians behave better and the numbers show it.  

US population is 2.6 times Mexico.  U.S has 332,000 deaths. Mexico has 122,000 deaths. Multiple Mexico death rate by 2.6 and you come up with 317,000 compared to 332,000 deaths in US.   So Mexico is much closer to US in death rate.

Data is from John Hopkins.

• Like 4

I am a patriotic American and I applaud the way Canada has handled the Covid crisis. No genius just basic common sense. The way the pandemic was handled in the US was criminal and things like that led me to Mexico 20 years ago. Corruption is everywhere;no need to debate it. It is a fact. When they say 80 - 90 % of US deaths could have been adverted and nothing will be done about it I am infuriated and ashamed. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4

I flew to Miami (nonstop )mid November for medical and christmas buying. I was impressed that everyone along the way followed protocols. Flights were loaded/ unloaded 5 rows at a time and the terminals were totally compliant. I have read that flying is no more risky than going to the grocery store and I believe it.

1 hour ago, #HarryB said:

I am a patriotic American and I applaud the way Canada has handled the Covid crisis. No genius just basic common sense. The way the pandemic was handled in the US was criminal and things like that led me to Mexico 20 years ago. Corruption is everywhere;no need to debate it. It is a fact. When they say 80 - 90 % of US deaths could have been adverted and nothing will be done about it I am infuriated and ashamed. 

Criminal? Well maybe putting covid patients in nursing homes qualifies for this label.  Otherwise I'd describe it more like "too many cooks spoil the broth."

Criminal to me is deliberately hiding things while people from your country fly around the world spreading the disease at the end of last year and early this year.  Even the NYT has belatedly realized this happened.

I was a little surprised to read that fully half the covid patients in Mexico hail from Mexico City and Mexico state.  Yet Mexico state has only 15 percent of Mexico's population.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Since we are all piling on Maincoones, I have to say that while Canada and the U.S.A. are democracies, they definitely are different structurally. Rather than "apples and oranges" on population differences, that was the key reason the Provinces were given so many powers compared to U.S. States. The country was kept together as one by fighting for national projects. Like a coast to coast railway system, like a world war, like a national health care system, like defeating a movement of one Province to break away with the others, like a coast to coast public broadcast system sponsoring a wide variety of national cultural events.

The very key difference though is that Canadian kids learn about these world wide topics in school. American kids, I met a long time ago, graduate from high school thinking Canada is all "eskimos" and igloos. Mexico is sombrero dressed peasants, napping in the shade of a cactus.

Canadians, in the most part, celebrate cosmopologism, internationalism, accepting other cultures with interest and joy. Canadian teachers tell the parents teach your children at home your national language and culture. Let us teach them English and French. Americans, in the most part, demand conformity. Act any different, speak a strange language, don't adore Jesus, well - you are going to get you butt kicked and excluded at all levels.

Verdad?

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Sturdley said:

I applaud Mudgirl and Harry for their intelligent responses.  I am not sure why Maincoons, who should be impartial as a moderator,  should feel personally insulted by comments that do not match his predudices. 

And you got that where?  

I don't feel personally insulted by a few Canadians who just can't seem to stop knocking the U.S.  I just find it tiresome.  Maybe it is because your politics are so boring or the winters just too damn long.

As for you, Mudgirl, I suggest you do some homework on just what is being reported as covid deaths.

https://nypost.com/2020/10/17/how-the-media-is-misreporting-covid-19s-death-toll-in-america/

There is a difference between dying WITH something versus FROM something.  That is what is in question here.  There very fact that almost all covid deaths occur in people with significant comorbidities adds this uncertainty. 

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20200901/covid-19-primary-not-only-cause-94-percent-of-deaths

I seriously doubt the vast majority of cases receive the sort of forensic autopsy needed to pin their death to one cause.

5 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

Canadians, in the most part, celebrate cosmopologism, internationalism, accepting other cultures with interest and joy. Canadian teachers tell the parents teach your children at home your national language and culture. Let us teach them English and French. Americans, in the most part, demand conformity. Act any different, speak a strange language, don't adore Jesus, well - you are going to get you butt kicked and excluded at all levels.

That is so dumb it is laughable.  I would think such well educated people would not fall for such stereotypes, let alone move from such a paradise to somewhere else.  :D 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Sturdley said:

I applaud Mudgirl and Harry for their intelligent responses.  I am not sure why Maincoons, who should be impartial as a moderator,  should feel personally insulted by comments that do not match his predudices. 

And how about your prejudices?  I am not posting on this thread as a moderator, kindly stop trying to deprive me of the same right of participation here as anyone else simply because you don't like what I have to say.  I will happily extend you the same courtesy.

And while you're at it, learn to spell the word.  :D 

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

Since we are all piling on Maincoones, I have to say that while Canada and the U.S.A. are democracies, they definitely are different structurally. Rather than "apples and oranges" on population differences, that was the key reason the Provinces were given so many powers compared to U.S. States. The country was kept together as one by fighting for national projects. Like a coast to coast railway system, like a world war, like a national health care system, like defeating a movement of one Province to break away with the others, like a coast to coast public broadcast system sponsoring a wide variety of national cultural events.

The very key difference though is that Canadian kids learn about these world wide topics in school. American kids, I met a long time ago, graduate from high school thinking Canada is all "eskimos" and igloos. Mexico is sombrero dressed peasants, napping in the shade of a cactus.

Verdad?

That is so much BS!!! "Americans, in the most part, demand conformity.” ??? Is that why the U.S. is split almost exactly in half; Red states vs. Blue states, Conservative vs. Liberal, both coasts vs. the interior, Real news vs. Fake news??? Give me a break and do your homework!!!

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, gringohombre said:

That is so much BS!!! "Americans, in the most part, demand conformity.” ??? Is that why the U.S. is split almost exactly in half; Red vs. Blue, Conservative vs. Liberal, both coasts vs. the interior??? Give me a break and do your homework!!!

That is the very definition of conformity. That "they" should be more like "us". Correct me if I am wrong, didn't the U.S.A. just have a very recent referendum encouraging a return to boring politics? Half the U.S. is under snow right now, even as far south to the Carolinas. They lack the Canadian igloos however, beautiful architectural Recreation Centers. Heated, with public pools and hot tubs, it is the same in the cold parts of Western Europe too.

Half isn't the same as "for the most part."  You're contradicting yourself, Chillin.  :D 

Getting back on topic, our grand daughter and boyfriend drove from here to Indiana and back a month ago and had few problems but did need to do more advanced planning and reserving.  They were not stopped or tested beyond the usual when crossing the border in either direction.  Both hold U.S. passports.

18 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

That is the very definition of conformity. That "they" should be more like "us". Correct me if I am wrong, didn't the U.S.A. just have a very recent referendum encouraging a return to boring politics? Half the U.S. is under snow right now, even as far south to the Carolinas. They lack the Canadian igloos however, beautiful architectural Recreation Centers. Heated, with public pools and hot tubs, it is the same in the cold parts of Western Europe too.

WHAAAAAT???

• Confused 1