Chapala.com Webboard

Dark hersey chocolate

cedros

I have a wheelchair bound neighbour who really favors dark hershey chocolate bars with  whole almonds. I want to get him some for Xmas but where? I checked Walmart, Superlake, and Pancho's Deli today without sucess. 

On 12/13/2020 at 12:57 AM, Upfront said:

i was specifically loking for dark hershey today and yesterday and saw it with almonds at walmart and superlake. imported at superlake and very expensive. not the mexican made. they did have hershey dark chocolat bars mexican made too

I did not see either at Walmart or Supertake. It has to be dark chocalate bars not milk chocolate. Also Superlake told me they did not have it. Where in either store? To me it does not matter where it is made.

17 hours ago, Upfront said:

pretty sure i know the difference. actually HELD IT IN MY HAND yesterday morning at superlake. 2nd from top shelf 1st candry row. many varieties. DARK.

walmart middle of aisle 2nd from top. sparse.

I doubt it. Maybe soon.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I checked out Superlake carefully today with the two girls that work in their office. Definitely no Hershey dark chocolate  (oscura) with almonds. The ones you were looking at were milk chocolate. Not in their computer either.  I hear the Jocotepec mercado has them so I will try that.

A lot of posts about not much. I don't like dark (oscura) or bitter (amargo) chocolate myself but it has to be just right for my neighbouur who is in a wheel chair.

20 minutes ago, Upfront said:

i hold in my hand RIGHT NOW a bag of hershey amargo bites. whatever your translator calls it they translate it themselves on the bag as DARK.

and i stand by my find at superlake because i happened to be looking for these and i SAW THEM ALL and they were ddark.

Looking for chocolate bars with whole almonds not bites. Tell that to the people at Suoerlake.

53 minutes ago, Upfront said:

whatever your translator calls it they translate it themselves on the bag as DARK.

I don't need to use a translator- I speak Spanish. It's the Mexican Hershey's translators that translated it incorrectly. I've seen a lot of incorrect translations on Mexican packaging, like "arandanos" for blueberries, which are correctly translated as "moras azules".

Your chocolate may indeed have been dark, but that's not what "amargo" means.

My wife only eats dark chocolate with nuts. It's the perfect accompaniment with red wine she contends. The best that is available here is Ritter Sport Dark Chocolate with Hazelnuts.  I've only seen it at Superlake on occasion and when a shipment comes in, it disappears in a couple of days. They have many other varieties but can't seem to keep the dark chocolate on the shelf. 

Pancho used to order it more frequently when he was at Superlake so it's possible to talk to him and ask if he can get any at his new location.

download.thumb.jpg.20cd06bb3cf02f334f80f68ca9fb1018.jpg

2 hours ago, mudgirl said:

"Amargo" means "bitter" chocolate, Angus. It refers to the sugar content, not whether chocolate is dark.

I will go with Hershey's description, thank you. I would like to see a dark chocolate in Mexico labeled differently.

14 hours ago, Upfront said:

nver saw arandanos used for anything but cranberies on packages here. but most googles on this are cnfusing

Arandanos is used for blueberries (Mora azul)sometimes.

fyi, at Soriana this morning I went thru their entire  large Hershey holiday display.  Saw bars of milk chocolate with almonds.  Saw bars of dark chocolate, plain no almonds.   Lots of other types of Hershey forms (kisses, bites).  

I also checked AMZN MX and there are no dark with almonds.  In checking AMZN US, the have the dark with almonds, alas they won't ship them here.  

20 hours ago, cedros said:

Looking for chocolate bars with whole almonds not bites. Tell that to the people at Suoerlake.

Superlake has packages of small bars of Hershey's dark chocolate with almonds.  I was there this morning.  They are on the candy aisle, not by the checkouts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, WideSky said:

Try getting a hold of Rony Clygnet; he is making bark, sells at the Legion on Tuesdays, uses belgian dark chocolate; perhaps you can get him to make you a special batch with just almonds (whole or sliced);

Thanks

On 12/14/2020 at 1:40 PM, cedros said:

I checked out Superlake carefully today with the two girls that work in their office. Definitely no Hershey dark chocolate  (oscura) with almonds. The ones you were looking at were milk chocolate. Not in their computer either.  I hear the Jocotepec mercado has them so I will try that.

On 12/14/2020 at 5:12 PM, Upfront said:

i didnt say whether they were bars bites or kisses. all i am teling you is most definitely dark chocolate. and if you want to go on a hunt for your friend but refuse to consider anything but bars then what kind a friend are you really

Thorough

On 12/15/2020 at 10:05 AM, Bisbee Gal said:

fyi, at Soriana this morning I went thru their entire  large Hershey holiday display.  Saw bars of milk chocolate with almonds.  Saw bars of dark chocolate, plain no almonds.   Lots of other types of Hershey forms (kisses, bites).  

I also checked AMZN MX and there are no dark with almonds.  In checking AMZN US, the have the dark with almonds, alas they won't ship them here.  

I checked Soriana also-the closest yet but not quite

20 hours ago, cedros said:

Thanks

Rony has replied to me in a message on Chapala.com but when I try to answer him now it says not working.

On 12/15/2020 at 10:05 AM, Bisbee Gal said:

Thanks. I have found almost the same.

On 12/12/2020 at 5:29 PM, jrod said:

MiniSuper La Huerta had some Hershey's dark chocolate bars at the counter yesterday; I didn't check to see if they had almonds, tho.

You could call: 376-766-4590.

Today I went to La Huerta and he does not have any Hershey's dark chocolate