Chapala.com Webboard

Why keep a water softener

ManxMan

We just bought a house in Chula Vista Norte that has a whole house water softener system. I can't figure out why you would have one. I understand they save soap and reduce water spotting but that doesn't seem to be reason enough. Can someone educate me as to the advantages before I pull it out? Thanks!

Depending on the level and type of minerals in your water, it does much more than save on soap or reduce water spotting. My water has a lot of calcium- it builds up around sink faucets, on countertop tiles, etc. It's a hard, crusty deposit that can only be removed with CLR, muriatic acid (which stains the metal) or vinegar. Plus the things bmh mentioned.

• Thanks 1

But I'd check and make sure that your system is not also softening your outside irrigation water. Not only is it a waste of salt to do to, but it is also not good for plants to get this extra-saline water on them consistently time and time again.

• Thanks 1

Okay. Salt, as pointed out in some of the above posts, is damaging to the environment. Some people care, others don't and your garden definitely WON'T if the same treated water is being used for outside faucets to water plants. I would not drink it either. You CAN rig a bypass on the system which is what we did in a rental house. You'll probably need a plumber for that but I would suggest the bypass before just removing it because it will give you time to access the results of living without some kind of system.

These are some of the alternatives to salt systems:

https://www.saveourh2o.org/best-salt-free-water-softeners/

https://www.saveourh2o.org/best-magnetic-water-softeners/

• Thanks 2