Chapala.com Webboard

Black cumin

fishcake

2 hours ago, fishcake said:

But do you know if they have black cumin.  Not the same as our regular cumin.  I shop at them all.  

Checking Amazon MX and MercadoLibre and they only have the oil of the black cumin.

3 hours ago, Ian Greenwood said:

I believe black cumin is the same as nigella seeds which are easier to find , they have become very popular with bread bakers and are often sprinkled on salads .

I think Ian is correct. Called kalonji in Hindu.There are also Ajwain seeds to consider. Black Cardamon is an interesting choice as well, resinous and funky. Rani Foods in Houston is your best choice for high quality and fresh spices. The Indian spice and rice shop in Guadalajara closed a couple years ago. Ask Magnolia. I met a couple of South Asians who came to Mexico as refugees, but found there was little occupational demand for an expert in Hindu literature. They had found a benefactor to help them setup a little tienda. Don't know if it happened, but Lakesiders would be the last to find out.

I usually send to the Laredo TX iShop box, but Rani has announced they can now ship anywhere in the world.

edit: I spent a lot of time with the South Asian man discussing, Journey to the West. If you are in the mood to read a fascinating 2,000 page book, the quarantine is the time. Also Journeys of Tripitaka.

https://www.icunet.group/en/-the-journey-to-the-west-and-the-most-famous-monkey-in-china/