Chapala.com Webboard

Mexico Announces Roll-Out Plan for Covid Vaccine

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/coronavirus/5-stage-national-covid-vaccination-plan/?fbclid=IwAR1Qn-j9M--zwR5wgqYN4OISg1SACE7RjqAp9xB0o-gat47nv2uezUhRlFM

Healthcare workers will be the first people in Mexico to be immunized against Covid-19 under a five-stage national vaccination plan presented Tuesday by the federal government.

Second in line are people aged 80 and over followed by those in the 70-79 age bracket.

In stage 2 of the vaccination plan, which will run from February to April, the government intends to immunize non-frontline health workers and people aged over 60, starting with those 80 or older. Immunization of people aged 50-59 will occur in stage 3 in April and May while those between 40 and 49 are to be vaccinated against Covid-19 in stage 4 next May and June.

In stage 5, the rest of the population will be immunized between June 2021 and March 2022.

covidmx.jpg.ac798f0a8464b89e82e4cb3e7282bdfd.jpg

Yeah, plans always look good.  But Mexico has an ingrained manana mentality and delays are the norm. 

On flu vaccine, here is latest I've read (from this past Friday), https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/concern-over-lack-of-influenza-vaccine/?fbclid=IwAR2q4xedWyoy2KyzZGgMtRLiY_0wj8roOs3HI2xI3eaR--wFcjCZaMZRkCM

The start of winter is less than three weeks away but many doctors in the private health sector are unable to get their hands on influenza vaccine, a situation that increases the risk that the flu will spread widely in the coming months while the coronavirus continues to run rampant across much of the country.

The quadrivalent vaccine, which is designed to protect against four different flu viruses including two influenza A and two influenza B, is not yet available in most private hospitals, clinics and doctors’ offices, according to a report by the newspaper Milenio.

The public health sector began inoculating people against influenza in early October and will end its vaccination campaign on December 31.

But concern is growing in the private sector because vaccines have still not been distributed whereas at this time in the past they had.

One company that distributes the vaccine to the private sector after buying it from Sanofi Pasteur – Bio Tec Vacunas – said on November 18 that it won’t have availability until January.

He advised people to go to a public hospital to get a flu shot, “even if it’s the trivalent,” in order to be at least partially protected against the influenza threat.

What is a green card? A visa?   All my papers show me living in Chiapas anyways so  I ll get it there.

I am reflecting on the fact that doctors cannot get the flu vaccine until january and that is when the covid vaccine is suppoed to arriv... and then you need two doses on the covid vaccine.. good luck on all of that working smoothly.  I a, leaving for Chiapas on Sunday so I will see down there what they have, if anything.. too  late to go to Chapala for me.

You may have gotten your vaccine easily but judging by the waiting lists at the places I checked, I can tell you that many people did not get the flu vaccine.

If I get it fine and fine if I do not, I do not get vaccinated every year anywayss so no big deal but the covd is a differnt deal. My sister tells me that in France teach flask has 5 vaccines so they have to make ure to have the people lined up before they open one.. I can ee that considering the storage requirements and the way things go here t will not be that easy going.. 

I guess we will see..

5 hours ago, Bisbee Gal said:

Yeah, plans always look good.  But Mexico has an ingrained manana mentality and delays are the norm. 

On flu vaccine, here is latest I've read (from this past Friday), https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/concern-over-lack-of-influenza-vaccine/?fbclid=IwAR2q4xedWyoy2KyzZGgMtRLiY_0wj8roOs3HI2xI3eaR--wFcjCZaMZRkCM

The start of winter is less than three weeks away but many doctors in the private health sector are unable to get their hands on influenza vaccine, a situation that increases the risk that the flu will spread widely in the coming months while the coronavirus continues to run rampant across much of the country.

The quadrivalent vaccine, which is designed to protect against four different flu viruses including two influenza A and two influenza B, is not yet available in most private hospitals, clinics and doctors’ offices, according to a report by the newspaper Milenio.

The public health sector began inoculating people against influenza in early October and will end its vaccination campaign on December 31.

But concern is growing in the private sector because vaccines have still not been distributed whereas at this time in the past they had.

One company that distributes the vaccine to the private sector after buying it from Sanofi Pasteur – Bio Tec Vacunas – said on November 18 that it won’t have availability until January.

He advised people to go to a public hospital to get a flu shot, “even if it’s the trivalent,” in order to be at least partially protected against the influenza threat.

We got our flu shot at the Centro de Salud in Chapala.  It was the 3-type and not the 4 and it was free.  In my opinion, the 3-type is better than nothing.

18 hours ago, slainte39 said:

Received the flue shot free at the Centro de Salud in SAT around the 1 de dic.  No wait, took all of 10 minutes. I just don´t understand why some people are having such a hard time getting it.

The shot that is difficult to get is not the shot you received. That was a Trivalent flu shot, the flu shot under discussion here is a Quadrivalent flu shot. The Trivalent covers 3 types of flu, the Quadrivalent covers 4 types. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Spoke with my Pulmonologist in Texas yesterday and he informed me that he was confident that I would be able to get my vaccine for covid within 4 weeks, max. Great news. He expects to get his next week. Said distribution plans have been in place for a while. Good luck to me and everyone also at high risk !!!  (he currently treats 15 hospitalized, mostly elderly, but is seeing a rise in 30-50, he believes because  of failure to wear masks and distance.).

If you don't mind, please check back with us here 'within 4 weeks' to verify that your Pulmonologist was correct. Por Favor.

Every State can/will have their own particular roll-out order. And every State will be getting the initial roll-out of a scarce vaccine based on population. I don't know Texas's 'order' but in Colorado 'seniors even w/underlying complications' are not going ahead of "Doctors and Nurses" and Nursing homes... both personnel and clients.

Pfizer initially said they had X amount to roll out when given the go-ahead in December.... now probably this weekend. BUT last month they crawfished on the amount available and Colorado will only get 40k doses instead of 100,000. Texas would have been in that same reduction boat.

As a result, Colorado has NO WHERE NEAR the number of vaccine doses needed to even get a decent start on the 'Docs' AND there is NO announced date by Pfizer as to when they will have the next batch coming for the USA... only 'sometime in January' and I have heard the number 100 million for that. Only time will tell if that number or that date is accurate. 

Since you are suggesting that you are seeing a Pulmonologist I assume you are at high risk. I hope that your Doc is right about you but...... I'm not at all convinced that he is right.  Let's all hope that I am wrong!

P.S.   The US Government purchased "only" 100 million doses from Pfizer and theoretically had/has an option to purchase 500 million more when the vaccine was proven. However, that number seems to now be in dispute... Pfizer saying 'not so fast, other countries stepped up with the actual $$s' for more when you wouldn't and the Administration saying 'well we weren't about to pay you for an unproven vaccine', all of that being a paraphrase.  Time will tell but time is running out. 

P.P.S  Of course there is the high probability that Moderna will have a vaccine authorized before Xmas, thus adding another 100 million doses paid for by the US available starting sometime in January.

See more info at :  https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/07/us/politics/trump-pfizer-coronavirus-vaccine.html

Dec 11  

The Government of Mexico authorized the emergency use of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine against the coronavirus, making the country one of five in the world to do so. (Great Britain, Canada, Bahrain, Mexico, United States)

The Undersecretary of Health, Hugo López- Gatell explained that with this green light the vaccination of 125 thousand people will begin during the month of December and January and emphasized that they will be exclusively for medical personnel. 

The vaccine application points will be in military installations in Mexico City and Coahuila.  No one other than health personnel previously selected will be vaccinated. "

• Like 1

I can hardly wait. It's just that we old folks, although a priority group, still must wait until the Med staff, seniors located in an old folks homes, persons who are critically ill, get their shots. So old folks like me probably still a couple of months until we can get our first of two shots.

Restaurants are closed, here, in Seattle, and it is recommended we stay in except when buy groceries, getting your meds or visiting your doctor.

I have been hiding now in my condo, eating TV dinners for 6 months, please, please hurry up and give me a shot or two so that I can return home to Ajijic  where I belong.   Oh, Go Seahawks 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Jim Bowie said:

I see where Pfizer is now shipping vaccine to all 50 States. So, looks like some people will get theirs in the next few days. Great news !

Below is part of an "article" by the Washington Post showing roll-out by every state NOB. The entire article can be seen here:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/health/covid-vaccine-states-distribution-doses/?utm_campaign=wp_post_most&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&wpisrc=nl_most&carta-url=https%3A%2F%2Fs2.washingtonpost.com%2Fcar-ln-tr%2F2d82ab3%2F5fd4f2fa9d2fda0efb86be5a%2F59762044ae7e8a1cf4ca0076%2F8%2F68%2F5fd4f2fa9d2fda0efb86be5a

TEXAS    is expected to get about 220,000 doses in the first set of Pfizer vaccines. If the Moderna vaccine is approved, the state could get a total of 1,600,000 doses before the end of the year. That is enough to vaccinate 5.6 percent of the state population.

The state has approximately 1,400,000 health-care workers and300,000 nursing home residents and workers, and the number of doses expected in December is almost enough to give them a single dose by the end of the year. The vaccine requires a follow-up booster about three or four weeks after the first shot.

First in line       1.4M  Health-care workers, 300k Nursing home residents
Second in line  1.2M Essential workers,  910kTeachers,  160kFirst responders
Third in line        8M With preexisting conditions,   300k Age 65+
  • Like 1

So IF the moderna vaccine is approved Texas will be 100 000 doi hort and since not everyone will want vaccine it will be enough for the first round , then they need enough for the second round.. I see that the politicins and their families are not on the list, I just wonder when they will get their if they want to be vaccinated.. I do not wonder about it in Mexico, we all know they will be the firt ones to get it..It is ot official but guess what..

It is my understanding.... from the head Honcho of that Agency.... that the Warp Speed Logistics agency is 'holding' back enough vaccine to give the second shot to those who actually get the vaccine shot. When they 'run out' of the first wave of vaccine they will know how many of the 'first rounds' chose to NOT get it and will then be able to then get farther down thru the list. Until then, they are assuming 100% so as to have enough for the required second shot for those who DID get the first one. 

Of course with the Pfizer vaccine requiring such sub-zero temps AND only lasting I think 5 days (or so) after unfreezing, just 'managing' that nightmare is going to be.... a nightmare.  

I would NOT want to be in charge of making those kinds of decisions. Bound to be a ton of 'mistakes' or pointing of fingers going forward. 

• Like 1