Chapala.com Webboard

Stimulus check(s)???

CBGUY

Funny, I was also at Bancomer in Chapala this morning with the intent of depositing my stimulus check to my account (am Swiss but was born in the US so I have the privilege of taxation without representation...) but was told they did not process US Treasury checks. So I asked where I could cash it and was told both Multivia and Actinver would do it. My neighbour works for Multivia so I will ask her this evening because quite frankly I do not want to have to do a trip to Ajijic for nothing .

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, HoneyBee said:

Funny, I was also at Bancomer in Chapala this morning with the intent of depositing my stimulus check to my account (am Swiss but was born in the US so I have the privilege of taxation without representation...) but was told they did not process US Treasury checks. So I asked where I could cash it and was told both Multivia and Actinver would do it. My neighbour works for Multivia so I will ask her this evening because quite frankly I do not want to have to do a trip to Ajijic for nothing .

I have read exactly that many times by many posters over the years.

16 minutes ago, tomgates said:

Open a Schwab high yield checking account and you can deposit any check with your smart phone.

Also ANY credit union allows deposits via apps from outside the US.Ā  It is my understanding from speaking with the CU associated with my former employment that CUs are not subject to as rigorous financial customer rules as banks and other financial institutions.Ā Ā 

Ā 

42 minutes ago, tomgates said:

Open a Schwab high yield checking account and you can deposit any check with your smart phone.

You better not say you live in Mexico. When i did, they closed my checking yet kept my brokerage open.

I went to 2 banks in which I have accounts and both said it was against banking rules to accept checks over $1000 USD. And also against the law to send checks by mail....looks like some of us will have to wait.Ā  I'm hoping that someone with some authority will make a special exemption forĀ these Treasury checks as the money will be spent in Mexico.

24 minutes ago, cafemediterraneo said:

I went to 2 banks in which I have accounts and both said it was against banking rules to accept checks over $1000 USD. And also against the law to send checks by mail....looks like some of us will have to wait.Ā  I'm hoping that someone with some authority will make a special exemption forĀ these Treasury checks as the money will be spent in Mexico.

I understood you can send checks under 10,000 usd by mail. If you have online banking, you can send it that way to your bank in the US.

I spoke to Multiva for a client today and the issue many have is that Multiva will cash the checks within 60 days of issuance but many have just received checks dated July 31 or September 4.Ā Ā 

Intercam will accept the checks but hold them for like 6 months. ORoarke accepted a clients check today.

Ok , Thank you. I lived in the US from zero to 4 years old (moved to Switzerland). Have no US Passport or Drivers license so I guess I will just frame this check as a reminder that I should have renounced my US citizenship about 60 years ago. Will do it next year as I am sick and tired of having to file (FATCA, FBAR, etc..).Ā šŸ˜’

Following advice I saw on the forum here I checked with the post office that handles the mail for our area and low and behold there was a check waiting! We were told that we should have been notified that we had to pick up the letter, but oh well.

I'm having the same problem depositing/cashing it that others have mentioned. Has anyone found an easy way to accomplish this? Opening another account at a different bank (already have one at BBVA) is not an option. The Paypal option would maybe work if I didn't already have the check in my possession. We have an account in the states at a credit union and they do have e-deposit but the app is so bad it rarely works. Has anyone been able to cash their check at a casa de cambio? The one in Chapala said they can't but one in Guadalajara could. My last option is to send to check back to my sister-in-law in San Diego and have her deposit it in our credit union account.

23 minutes ago, dcstroker said:

Following advice I saw on the forum here I checked with the post office that handles the mail for our area and low and behold there was a check waiting! We were told that we should have been notified that we had to pick up the letter, but oh well.

I'm having the same problem depositing/cashing it that others have mentioned. Has anyone found an easy way to accomplish this? Opening another account at a different bank (already have one at BBVA) is not an option. The Paypal option would maybe work if I didn't already have the check in my possession. We have an account in the states at a credit union and they do have e-deposit but the app is so bad it rarely works. Has anyone been able to cash their check at a casa de cambio? The one in Chapala said they can't but one in Guadalajara could. My last option is to send to check back to my sister-in-law in San Diego and have her deposit it in our credit union account.

Here is Forbe's article the includes various apps; whether they work from MX is unknown.Ā  fyi, this article includes PayPal info and it talks about taking picture of the check, so not sure about your comment (highlighted) above.

Ā Ā https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimwang/2020/05/02/where-to-cash-your-stimulus-check-without-a-bank-account/?sh=6320b3fd41fd

3 minutes ago, gringal said:

The cell phone deposit system may be iffy.Ā  We sent our checks through Handy Mail to deposit in our credit union in the U.S. That method has always worked for us.

Curious, did Handy Mail require you to pay an Aduana fee on the check?Ā Ā 

• Like 1