Chapala.com Webboard

Ajijic Plaza plan

#HarryB

Delegado Juan Ramon Flores got me a copy of the plan:

1.) The floor work will be limited to the northern section -the part up a step in front of the Chapel wall/ Casa de Cultura and the restaurant. The material will match the rest of the plaza with an accent line around the perimeter , a sunburst mural in the center, between the trees and accent sun murals in the southern east and west corners in the accent color

2.) there will be planters with seating around the existing trees.

3.) The bathrooms in front of the casa de cultura will be renovated

4.) All plaza benches will be replaced and more added.

5.) There will be two wave shadows built into the northern perimeter

6.) All plaza lighting will be replaced

• Thanks 1

The requirements to qualify for Pueblo Magico status used to include some things that could adversely affect our little plaza.  Not sure if they still have those requirements and I can't get anybody to tell me for sure.  Maybe Harry can discuss this here.  Are they planning to remove all vendors like the taco, veggie, corn, tamal, and hot dog folks who make their livings there?  How about the craft vendors along the Guadalupe Victoria walkway?  Are the bars and restaurants still going to be able to have outdoor seating on the plaza?  What kind of lights are they putting in?  Hopefully not the blue/ white high intensity, mood killers that are common.  Once they start to bury all the utility lines and remove poles, who is going to be responsible for sidewalk repairs?  Are the streets in the centro going to be repaired st the same time?  Are they planning to financially help the local business owners who will have car and foot traffic ruined while the work is being done?  Many who are barely hanging on right now.  Where are cars going to drive and park during all this work?  Have any local business owners and local community leaders been consulted on their desire to have Pueblo Magico status?  Is the community OK with the resulting increase in traffic and development when the current infrastructure is already lacking?  Please, Harry, these are the questions I hear people asking about more than the actual look of the north side of the plaza and new bathrooms.  Not sure why none of these topics have been publicly discussed but it makes me nervous...  Alan

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Here is wiki explanation of process as well as a list of all Pueblo Magicos as of 2018,  I have been to many on this list and have eaten at outdoor tables and purchased local crafts from vendors.  

I am sure many of you have also visited at least a few of these towns/cities and have done the same.

Just because someone repeats a rumor several times, does not make it true.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pueblos_Mágicos

fyi, Todos Santos is a Pueblo Magico in Baja with a similar artistic bent as Ajijic.  At Trip Advisor, you can filter and sort restaurants that have Outdoor Dining in Todos Santos.  There were FORTY when I ran that search, here run it yourself.   https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g150777-zfp6-Todos_Santos_Baja_California.html

fyi, Alamos is a Pueblo Magico in Sonora that hosts an international music festival similar to Ajijic's Northern Lights/Fiesta de Febrero.  Here is a quote from a guide to attendees to help them locate street vendors, The hotels, shops and street vendors on both plazas, including the Museo and on Calle Obregon (offer a changing selection of Mexican and international arts and crafts, regional books, music, postcards.

@upfront can post all the falsehoods s/he wants about the program, I prefer to give actual data.

• Like 1

I have been in enough magic cities to have seen that the name is now just a gimmick. There are few that even come close to being even mystical, like Real de Catorce. Bacalar magic, hahaha. Same for Ajijic. Quaint is not magical.

• Like 2

Bisbee Gal and others,  Your links are appreciated but do not answer the questions I asked.  During special events/fiestas all kinds of vendors are allowed in Pueblos Magicos plazas.  But daily stands, ambulantes, food stalls, produce vendors, etc. have, in the past, been specifically prohibited in order to qualify for PM status.  Not sure if that is still true.  If you go to any PM's that I've been to like Tapalpa, Mazamitla, Comala, Tequila, Mascota, Tzintzuntzan, Santa Clara del Cobre, etc. there are no such activities unless it is part of a special event.  Those towns are blessed with lovely portales, balconies, and sidewalk eateries.  Ajijic has none of those things hence the plaza seating and vendors on and around the plaza.  Chapala used to have those things too but they were prohibited in their bid for PM status much to the detriment of the plaza.  As to my other concerns, still no answers from anybody with authority.  If the Ajijic community has more of a say so in how the program is developed here, then I might be more supportive...Just be careful what you wish for...Alan

• Like 4

Article a few days ago in Semanario Laguna newspaper (very poor google translation, but you can get the gist of it). 

http://semanariolaguna.com/55409/?fbclid=IwAR0SX5AqSxn3tnn6xlslauF4My8rUFOY0Fqo9yLVogtO888X1md5Oien_VU

December 14, 2020

• maquta-A.jpg

The design in the virtual models of a work of three million pesos, generated discontent in the population.

Sofía Medeles (Ajijic, Jal.) - More than fifteen days after the announcement that supposedly would start the remodeling works of the north part of the main square, no progress has been noticed other than the publication of the virtual models which due to their bad execution, confused and annoyed the people of Ajijic.

There were several negative comments about the project that many inhabitants considered unnecessary, in addition to the fact that the virtual models do not correspond to the cost of the remodeling that will have an investment of three million pesos, according to what was announced by the Governor Enrique Alfado in his visit. 

In an interview, architecture graduate, Luis Álvarez, "Sorry for the words I'm going to use, but this is a mess . It is assumed that the state government has enough money to present decent images, especially considering that it is a project for a Magical Town. They did not give details; with these confusing images, it is normal that nobody wants any work, because it does not give the assurance that it will be a good job, or that it will be the usual crap ".

For her part, the Animation student, Estefanía, who works with so-called "virtual models", criticized the lack of professionalism in them. “It's not only that they are so badly done; the textures are all wrong, and they didn't make an effort to complement the graphic with details about the square. That is what I think caused annoyance and confusion."

maqueta-a1.jpg

Design submitted by authorities.

The echo in social networks by some of the population did not cause the City Council to organize a face-to-face meeting;  At first, a meeting was planned with municipal authorities and merchants from downtown Ajijic, but the meeting was canceled. 

"There was a lack of socialization, to deal with issues of nonconformity, but since there is none, they do not clarify doubts, and do not take into account the opinions of those who live here. They seek the acceptance of citizenship, but only cause complaints, as happened previously in pedestrian crossings. "If an administration really wants the acceptance of the people, it needs to approach them" said Julio, a resident who does not agree with the remodeling. 

For her part, Mrs. Lupe, who did not hide her deep discontent when seeing the virtual images about the remodeling, declared: "If the images they published are going to be like the one we do not want them to move anything, they will lose the magic and the charm. Now, if you tell me that these images are lacking, what can be expected of the work, if the investment for a few simple photos is so deficient. I don't agree, but in the end they always do what they want. " 

During the past week, the Chapala city council issued a statement on their social networks, where they clarified that the only thing that would be remodeled is the esplanade in the northern part of the main square (in front of the Rosario Chapel and the Ajijic Cultural Center), that the trees will be preserved and the remodeling would be under the charge of the Ajijic artist, Federico Enciso, so that the design would be uniform with the rest of the square, in addition to the fact that the bathrooms will be completely renovated.

• Like 1