Jump to content
Chapala.com Webboard

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

You sure remember different than I do. I remember Jeannie tried to start a petition to ban you from immigrating here, before you even arrived.  There goes the neighborhood, she exclaimed when you eventually arrived. Then she followed you, photos of you riding your motorbike without a helmet, and demanding that the police arrest you. People saying hateful, mean things to your wife. Certainly no Welcome Wagon of cookies and flowers for you!

Saying that, the community has generally treated the odd ducks, misfits, and obviously mentally ill people very well. Also very little racism, or homophobia.

Yet here I am after 14 1/2 years with many friends, a fun good life, service to the community and having newbies and wannbies to my home, which are somethings that  you don't seem to have enjoyed experiencing.

Polar_Bear_Swim_500.JPG

cruz roja polar bear swim,2013.jpg

sjc volunteers.jpg

chapala electionsab.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Visit Chapala in April/May and then the coast in September/October to experience the hottest months of the year. After that you can make up your own minds. No one on this board can predict your indivi

Yep.   Warm days, cool nights.   Yesterday 78F high, night low 61.     Perfect.      www.ajijicweather.com

Bottom line is I would challenge anyone to find a better year round climate anywhere NOB or for that matter in Mexico.  This is a world class microclimate. You won't.

Posted Images

Have to agree with Pedro.  Lots to do here.  Lots of different social activities.  Lots of volunteer activity that are very satisfying to the soul.  

Have to disagree with person who says you can't walk here.  I walk 20,000 steps a day and my friend does 30,000 (yes he is a walking addict 🙂 ).  You do need to pick the proper location for the house. You can walk from San Antonio to Ajijic using the horse path and never go near the carraterra.   You do need good walking shoes.

Fashion here for the most part is like living in Oregon or Washington so no fashion unless you count Dockers, cargo shorts, and fishing shirts or such.  The women who walk don't wear fancy shoes they have Keens with toes.   Only the locals wear high heels and they can run across the rough rock roads.  You see alot of sneakers here or hiking sandals  with Lord forbid  socks. 🙂  Dressing up means I change to a nice cotton Hawaiian Shirt.  

These are all opinions and many will disagree but good luck figuring it out.  We have been happy here for 12 years full time with three weeks or so at the coast to get an ocean fix.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, lcscats said:

Have to agree with Pedro.  Lots to do here.  Lots of different social activities.  Lots of volunteer activity that are very satisfying to the soul.  

Have to disagree with person who says you can't walk here.  I walk 20,000 steps a day and my friend does 30,000 (yes he is a walking addict 🙂 ).  You do need to pick the proper location for the house. You can walk from San Antonio to Ajijic using the horse path and never go near the carraterra.   You do need good walking shoes.

Fashion here for the most part is like living in Oregon or Washington so no fashion unless you count Dockers, cargo shorts, and fishing shirts or such.  The women who walk don't wear fancy shoes they have Keens with toes.   Only the locals wear high heels and they can run across the rough rock roads.  You see alot of sneakers here or hiking sandals  with Lord forbid  socks. 🙂  Dressing up means I change to a nice cotton Hawaiian Shirt.  

These are all opinions and many will disagree but good luck figuring it out.  We have been happy here for 12 years full time with three weeks or so at the coast to get an ocean fix.

"Fashion" to many guys means going out with a sweet shirt whilst their wife or partner have taken the trouble to dress for the occasion. And for casual wear black socks and baggy black pants!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I walk in Ajijic daily for shopping and other errands, but sometimes I just want to rack up a few miles quickly without having my eyes fixated on my next step.  

The Ajijic malecon is perfect for power walks.  It's 1/2 mile long and other than on weekends, mostly empty from morning until late afternoon.  It's a quick way to get in some fast laps/miles.  

Bonus: you will also see a lot of birds at the shoreline. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, lcscats said:

Have to agree with Pedro.  Lots to do here.  Lots of different social activities.  Lots of volunteer activity that are very satisfying to the soul.  

Have to disagree with person who says you can't walk here.  I walk 20,000 steps a day and my friend does 30,000 (yes he is a walking addict 🙂 ).  You do need to pick the proper location for the house. You can walk from San Antonio to Ajijic using the horse path and never go near the carraterra.   You do need good walking shoes.

Fashion here for the most part is like living in Oregon or Washington so no fashion unless you count Dockers, cargo shorts, and fishing shirts or such.  The women who walk don't wear fancy shoes they have Keens with toes.   Only the locals wear high heels and they can run across the rough rock roads.  You see alot of sneakers here or hiking sandals  with Lord forbid  socks. 🙂  Dressing up means I change to a nice cotton Hawaiian Shirt.  

These are all opinions and many will disagree but good luck figuring it out.  We have been happy here for 12 years full time with three weeks or so at the coast to get an ocean fix.

I have always been of the opinion that if you want things to do, all you have to do is do them! I have never had a problem finding things to do. I have so many hobbies that I will never have a hard time finding things to do. I have over 50 RC cars, boats, planes, trucks, helicopters, and quadcopters. I have four 3D printers, I write, stories and poetry, fish, garden, do archery, snorkel, dive, woodwork, play at the guitar and drums, mountain bike and hike  and many many other things. I do look forward to having more time to pursue my hobbies as I currently work full time. That is another reason for making a move like this. I will be able to retire there today if I wished too. I have an 82 year old mother with dementia living with us currently. We are in south Florida until the day that we can move. We moved to south Florida for her because she has COPD and would not be able to live there. Otherwise we would be there now!  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Ray Parker said:

I have always been of the opinion that if you want things to do, all you have to do is do them! I have never had a problem finding things to do. I have so many hobbies that I will never have a hard time finding things to do. I have over 50 RC cars, boats, planes, trucks, helicopters, and quadcopters. I have four 3D printers, I write, stories and poetry, fish, garden, do archery, snorkel, dive, woodwork, play at the guitar and drums, mountain bike and hike  and many many other things. I do look forward to having more time to pursue my hobbies as I currently work full time. That is another reason for making a move like this. I will be able to retire there today if I wished too. I have an 82 year old mother with dementia living with us currently. We are in south Florida until the day that we can move. We moved to south Florida for her because she has COPD and would not be able to live there. Otherwise we would be there now!  

I have COPD  and have no problem breathing when sedentary nor when I do a very short walk[100yards] or going around the grocery store for an hour using the cart as a walker, of which I am capable of doing only once in a while because of my other disabilities.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lcscats said:

Have to agree with Pedro.  Lots to do here.  Lots of different social activities.  Lots of volunteer activity that are very satisfying to the soul.  

Have to disagree with person who says you can't walk here.  I walk 20,000 steps a day and my friend does 30,000 (yes he is a walking addict 🙂 ).  You do need to pick the proper location for the house. You can walk from San Antonio to Ajijic using the horse path and never go near the carraterra.   You do need good walking shoes.

Fashion here for the most part is like living in Oregon or Washington so no fashion unless you count Dockers, cargo shorts, and fishing shirts or such.  The women who walk don't wear fancy shoes they have Keens with toes.   Only the locals wear high heels and they can run across the rough rock roads.  You see alot of sneakers here or hiking sandals  with Lord forbid  socks. 🙂  Dressing up means I change to a nice cotton Hawaiian Shirt.  

These are all opinions and many will disagree but good luck figuring it out.  We have been happy here for 12 years full time with three weeks or so at the coast to get an ocean fix.

Some of us prefer not to dress like our parents did in the 50's as you have mainly described. Oregon and Washington fashion? I think not. my wife looks damn good in a skirt and Most of my friends are Mexicans under 50. I hardly ever wear shorts just like them.

cuba 152.jpg

cuba 155.jpg

cuba 074a.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Go Solar said:

 

1 - check the true and really well done local weather page here:     ajijicweather.com

 

Although when one looks at the forecast on that site one sees:  The weather data that follows this text is taken from observations at Guadalajara airport (MMGL). Ajijic is usually 5 degrees warmer at night and 5 degrees cooler during the day. This is because of our proximity to the lake.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

Bottom line is I would challenge anyone to find a better year round climate anywhere NOB or for that matter in Mexico. 

Again, this is totally subjective. What may be the "best" year-round climate for you may not be for others. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If the lady is used to the heat and humidity of Southern Florida, she will like any coast in Mexico and probably will not care for Chapala.. The perfect climate is subjectif, also the beach culture is very different from the one  n the mountains so good luck to you , it sounds like one of you will not care for the place the other one likes..

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mudgirl said:

Again, this is totally subjective. What may be the "best" year-round climate for you may not be for others. 

Well if someone who lives in Sayulita thinks that is a better year round climate, with all that seasonal heat and humidity, I'd suggest there are probably many more that would find this climate, with it's near lack of extremes, more salubrious.  Not to mention how that salt air there corrodes everything.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Certainly if you were to do a big survey of what the majority of people consider to be a "perfect" climate, more people, at least those from the US, Canada, and Europe, would likely find the weather Lakeside to be preferable. But that doesn't make it objectively the perfect climate for everyone. 

I live 2KM from the ocean, not a lot of salt air at my place. It's more the 3-4 months of daily rain and the humidity that causes the rust and makes repainting outside metalwork a ongoing maintenance chore. Since I realized that, I don't paint metalwork anymore- I just oil it. Way easier to wipe another coat of oil on things than repaint.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Upfront said:

exactly who are you trying to explain climate to. how old do you think we are anyway

You? Judging from your inane postings on this board, which almost all are comments on the suitability of other's posts, I think you're about 8.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I find with good walking shoes the cobble stone streets are not a problem at all.  A big thing to me is the number of eating establishments available.  They range from excellent to bad but there is something for every one.  Before the virus I believe the number was 176.  If you like to eat out this is the place for you.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mudgirl said:

You? Judging from your inane postings on this board, which almost all are comments on the suitability of other's posts, I think you're about 8.

i comment on people like you who need to be told to grow up and stop ponitificating as if they know everything. which you clearly do not. your sad attempts at pretense fool no one.

as far as difficulty walking goes the comment was MAY BE DIFFICULT FOR PEOPLE WITH BAD LEGS. if you do not agree then say you do not agree but telling us you have no problem walking says nothing relevant

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, mudgirl said:

Certainly if you were to do a big survey of what the majority of people consider to be a "perfect" climate, more people, at least those from the US, Canada, and Europe, would likely find the weather Lakeside to be preferable. But that doesn't make it objectively the perfect climate for everyone. 

I live 2KM from the ocean, not a lot of salt air at my place. It's more the 3-4 months of daily rain and the humidity that causes the rust and makes repainting outside metalwork a ongoing maintenance chore. Since I realized that, I don't paint metalwork anymore- I just oil it. Way easier to wipe another coat of oil on things than repaint.

 

I'm happy you like it.  We seriously considered living at the beach when we moved here and spend time there every year.  But not in the summer.  :D 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...