Chapala.com Webboard

Convince the Better Half

Ray Parker

Have to agree with Pedro.  Lots to do here.  Lots of different social activities.  Lots of volunteer activity that are very satisfying to the soul.  

Have to disagree with person who says you can't walk here.  I walk 20,000 steps a day and my friend does 30,000 (yes he is a walking addict 🙂 ).  You do need to pick the proper location for the house. You can walk from San Antonio to Ajijic using the horse path and never go near the carraterra.   You do need good walking shoes.

Fashion here for the most part is like living in Oregon or Washington so no fashion unless you count Dockers, cargo shorts, and fishing shirts or such.  The women who walk don't wear fancy shoes they have Keens with toes.   Only the locals wear high heels and they can run across the rough rock roads.  You see alot of sneakers here or hiking sandals  with Lord forbid  socks. 🙂  Dressing up means I change to a nice cotton Hawaiian Shirt.  

These are all opinions and many will disagree but good luck figuring it out.  We have been happy here for 12 years full time with three weeks or so at the coast to get an ocean fix.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, lcscats said:

Have to agree with Pedro.  Lots to do here.  Lots of different social activities.  Lots of volunteer activity that are very satisfying to the soul.  

Have to disagree with person who says you can't walk here.  I walk 20,000 steps a day and my friend does 30,000 (yes he is a walking addict 🙂 ).  You do need to pick the proper location for the house. You can walk from San Antonio to Ajijic using the horse path and never go near the carraterra.   You do need good walking shoes.

Fashion here for the most part is like living in Oregon or Washington so no fashion unless you count Dockers, cargo shorts, and fishing shirts or such.  The women who walk don't wear fancy shoes they have Keens with toes.   Only the locals wear high heels and they can run across the rough rock roads.  You see alot of sneakers here or hiking sandals  with Lord forbid  socks. 🙂  Dressing up means I change to a nice cotton Hawaiian Shirt.  

These are all opinions and many will disagree but good luck figuring it out.  We have been happy here for 12 years full time with three weeks or so at the coast to get an ocean fix.

"Fashion" to many guys means going out with a sweet shirt whilst their wife or partner have taken the trouble to dress for the occasion. And for casual wear black socks and baggy black pants!

• Like 1

I walk in Ajijic daily for shopping and other errands, but sometimes I just want to rack up a few miles quickly without having my eyes fixated on my next step.  

The Ajijic malecon is perfect for power walks.  It's 1/2 mile long and other than on weekends, mostly empty from morning until late afternoon.  It's a quick way to get in some fast laps/miles.  

Bonus: you will also see a lot of birds at the shoreline. 

49 minutes ago, lcscats said:

I have always been of the opinion that if you want things to do, all you have to do is do them! I have never had a problem finding things to do. I have so many hobbies that I will never have a hard time finding things to do. I have over 50 RC cars, boats, planes, trucks, helicopters, and quadcopters. I have four 3D printers, I write, stories and poetry, fish, garden, do archery, snorkel, dive, woodwork, play at the guitar and drums, mountain bike and hike  and many many other things. I do look forward to having more time to pursue my hobbies as I currently work full time. That is another reason for making a move like this. I will be able to retire there today if I wished too. I have an 82 year old mother with dementia living with us currently. We are in south Florida until the day that we can move. We moved to south Florida for her because she has COPD and would not be able to live there. Otherwise we would be there now!  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ray Parker said:

I have always been of the opinion that if you want things to do, all you have to do is do them! I have never had a problem finding things to do. I have so many hobbies that I will never have a hard time finding things to do. I have over 50 RC cars, boats, planes, trucks, helicopters, and quadcopters. I have four 3D printers, I write, stories and poetry, fish, garden, do archery, snorkel, dive, woodwork, play at the guitar and drums, mountain bike and hike  and many many other things. I do look forward to having more time to pursue my hobbies as I currently work full time. That is another reason for making a move like this. I will be able to retire there today if I wished too. I have an 82 year old mother with dementia living with us currently. We are in south Florida until the day that we can move. We moved to south Florida for her because she has COPD and would not be able to live there. Otherwise we would be there now!  

I have COPD  and have no problem breathing when sedentary nor when I do a very short walk[100yards] or going around the grocery store for an hour using the cart as a walker, of which I am capable of doing only once in a while because of my other disabilities.

1 hour ago, lcscats said:

Some of us prefer not to dress like our parents did in the 50's as you have mainly described. Oregon and Washington fashion? I think not. my wife looks damn good in a skirt and Most of my friends are Mexicans under 50. I hardly ever wear shorts just like them.

cuba 152.jpg

cuba 155.jpg

cuba 074a.jpg

13 hours ago, Go Solar said:

1 - check the true and really well done local weather page here:     ajijicweather.com

Although when one looks at the forecast on that site one sees:  The weather data that follows this text is taken from observations at Guadalajara airport (MMGL). Ajijic is usually 5 degrees warmer at night and 5 degrees cooler during the day. This is because of our proximity to the lake.

If the lady is used to the heat and humidity of Southern Florida, she will like any coast in Mexico and probably will not care for Chapala.. The perfect climate is subjectif, also the beach culture is very different from the one  n the mountains so good luck to you , it sounds like one of you will not care for the place the other one likes..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mudgirl said:

Again, this is totally subjective. What may be the "best" year-round climate for you may not be for others. 

Well if someone who lives in Sayulita thinks that is a better year round climate, with all that seasonal heat and humidity, I'd suggest there are probably many more that would find this climate, with it's near lack of extremes, more salubrious.  Not to mention how that salt air there corrodes everything.

Certainly if you were to do a big survey of what the majority of people consider to be a "perfect" climate, more people, at least those from the US, Canada, and Europe, would likely find the weather Lakeside to be preferable. But that doesn't make it objectively the perfect climate for everyone. 

I live 2KM from the ocean, not a lot of salt air at my place. It's more the 3-4 months of daily rain and the humidity that causes the rust and makes repainting outside metalwork a ongoing maintenance chore. Since I realized that, I don't paint metalwork anymore- I just oil it. Way easier to wipe another coat of oil on things than repaint.

I find with good walking shoes the cobble stone streets are not a problem at all.  A big thing to me is the number of eating establishments available.  They range from excellent to bad but there is something for every one.  Before the virus I believe the number was 176.  If you like to eat out this is the place for you.

9 hours ago, mudgirl said:

Certainly if you were to do a big survey of what the majority of people consider to be a "perfect" climate, more people, at least those from the US, Canada, and Europe, would likely find the weather Lakeside to be preferable. But that doesn't make it objectively the perfect climate for everyone. 

I live 2KM from the ocean, not a lot of salt air at my place. It's more the 3-4 months of daily rain and the humidity that causes the rust and makes repainting outside metalwork a ongoing maintenance chore. Since I realized that, I don't paint metalwork anymore- I just oil it. Way easier to wipe another coat of oil on things than repaint.

I'm happy you like it.  We seriously considered living at the beach when we moved here and spend time there every year.  But not in the summer.  :D 

• Like 1

The Lake Chapala area is lacking in opportunities for rollerskating, with all those rough streets. Skiing is out of the question, as there is not even a single chair lift, among other necessities. Flying is almost impossible for expats, who don't seem to be welcome at the tiny air field. Finding fresh lobster in a restaurant, or even crabbing, are seemingly impossible, in spite of the great abundance of old crabs.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, RVGRINGO said:

The Lake Chapala area is lacking in opportunities for rollerskating, with all those rough streets. Skiing is out of the question, as there is not even a single chair lift, among other necessities. Flying is almost impossible for expats, who don't seem to be welcome at the tiny air field. Finding fresh lobster in a restaurant, or even crabbing, are seemingly impossible, in spite of the great abundance of old crabs.

People roller blade by my house daily as do skate boarders and the tiny airport is most welcoming to ALL including RC hobbyists of which the OP seems to participate in. Some old crabs have moved to Texas with their out of date memories.eh RV!

• Like 1

Ray Parker from the title of his post seems to know that a successful marriage depends on keeping both partners happy. As Maine Coones has pointed out the social scenes between Chapala and both Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta are different. Especially Puerto Vallarta, has a lot of glamorous events, attracting very wealthy, celebrities, and very well connected people every year. Sort of like the Hamptons in the U.S.A. Women bring down their designer gowns, the whole works. The glamor is also influenced by large populations of the gay communities from all over the world. These two coast cities attract many people from the west coast fashion design, entertainment and acting communities. This fundraising ball trend was started by Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton. They are still trendy. For young people, there are at least five full size dance night clubs, which have strict stylish dress requirements, 200 pesos to get through the door, and prices up from there.

If Mrs. Parker enjoys socializing at this level, she will be far happier in Mazatlan or Puerto Vallarta.

They are the playgrounds of the rich, but if you are not rich, there still many opportunities for fun, and even glamor, although prices for everything are rapidly rising. While there are some very rich residents in Chapala, I would say the playground is more tilted towards middle class, and upper middle class.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

Ray Parker from the title of his post seems to know that a successful marriage depends on keeping both partners happy. As Maine Coones has pointed out the social scenes between Chapala and both Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta are different. Especially Puerto Vallarta, has a lot of glamorous events, attracting very wealthy, celebrities, and very well connected people every year. Sort of like the Hamptons in the U.S.A. Women bring down their designer gowns, the whole works. The glamor is also influenced by large populations of the gay communities from all over the world. These two coast cities attract many people from the west coast fashion design, entertainment and acting communities. This fundraising ball trend was started by Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton. They are still trendy. For young people, there are at least five full size dance night clubs, which have strict stylish dress requirements, 200 pesos to get through the door, and prices up from there.

If Mrs. Parker enjoys socializing at this level, she will be far happier in Mazatlan or Puerto Vallarta.

They are the playgrounds of the rich, but if you are not rich, there still many opportunities for fun, and even glamor, although prices for everything are rapidly rising. While there are some very rich residents in Chapala, I would say the playground is more tilted towards middle class, and upper middle class.

Boy are you outta touch!-SNORK!

Just now, happyjillin said:

Boy are you outta touch!-SNORK!

I would say he's not the nail on the head

Lakeside is just a "Provisional" ghetto made up mainly of foreigners looking for cheap living whilst enjoying being large fish in a small pond , and if they were living in a "sophisticated" city would be mere minions in a large lake