Chapala.com Webboard

LCS needs financial help

lakeside7

In the last 20 year we were member for one year...the information was pretty lousy 20 years ago so there is no good old days there..

People who are members are the ones who received the letter and the ones who will decide of the future of the club. If it serves enough people here they will continue , if not it wll die, that is the fate of most organizations. They have some good programs for the people who are joiners, it probably is worth continung. if not.. adios..

• Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, bmh said:

In the last 20 year we were member for one year...the information was pretty louy 20 years ago so there is no good old days there..

People who are members are the ones who received the letter and the ones who will decide of the future of the club. If it serves enough people here they will continue , if not it wll die, that s the fate of most organization. They have some good programs for the people who are joiners, it probably is worth continung. if not.. adios..

Perfectly said. I have not found any use for the place other than getting that death document done and I was never a member.

23 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

I wonder how many of you received the email from the LCS outlining the tremendous problem they have to stay a float. Even thought of selling off some real estate, maybe they have been overly  ambitious  with their expansion plans? Any thoughts how they may restructure?

Sytems and Processes !!!!!!

Run it like a company and they all would be gone.  Just my opinion based on what I observed.   

11 minutes ago, mexijims1 said:

Would hate to lose some of their great services though, like Health Day and Passport services.

Recently filed my passport renewal with them on Nov 5 and had it back by Fed Ex in 19 days.   GREAT JOB, IMO -- especially with all the Covid closedowns, making those services al the more difficult ! 

There is always the legion or whatever it is called in Chapala for that service.  I am sure that the Consulate would find another location to provide their services if LCS would close. 

On 11/29/2020 at 8:40 PM, lakeside7 said:

I wonder how many of you received the email from the LCS outlining the tremendous problem they have to stay a float. Even thought of selling off some real estate, maybe they have been overly  ambitious  with their expansion plans? Any thoughts how they may restructure?

Would be curious as to what the email said.  Would you post the text?

I was told when we first came Lakeside that people would use the LCS until they became established in the community.  I find this to be true, we were members for 3 years and finally just quit going.  They have done some good things for the Mexican community, so I think as several others have said maybe they need to go back to basics.  The library and bus trips were the only things we ever used. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, rafterbr said:

I was told when we first came Lakeside that people would use the LCS until they became established in the community.  I find this to be true, we were members for 3 years and finally just quit going.  They have done some good things for the Mexican community, so I think as several others have said maybe they need to go back to basics.  The library and bus trips were the only things we ever used. 

The library and the bus trips were the only things I ever used. Now that I know my way around Guadalajara I don't need the bus trips.

• Thanks 1

I also used the library but that has been made unusable because of their ideas about what constitutes safety.  Only access is now online.  Book pickup with an appointment.  So no browsing.  Concerns are for the safety of the volunteers but those same folks shop in stores and dine out where reasonable protocols are in place.  Very few folks rent DVD's.  Restaurant is closed so no socializing there.  Open Circle isn't the same as before because of Covid.  Health checks not used often.  Very few used the space for line dance classes, etc.  My wife liked the free films but we have streaming TV and can see lots of films that way.  I could never stand the crowded space and plastic chairs and people talking over the film like they were at home.  We did passport renewal at Chapala Legion last time and it worked fine.  So I guess I'll buy a Kindle or browse the bazaars for used paperbacks.

I know they have programs in place to help the local community but those programs might have to seek a new umbrella organization or operate on their own.  I might consider a donation to keep those programs operating but I'll probably not renew my membership at LCS.  Covid has done a number on economic and mental health along with the physical health of communities around the world.  Frustration is up, crime is up, business failures are up, education is faltering, and non-profit organizations like the LCS are hurting.  We all live in a new world now and expectations of "normalcy" might be misguided at least in the near future.  Alan

26 minutes ago, bmh said:

The internet has changed how people relate to each other, communicate and socialize so be it, move on  everyone.. this too will pass..time change and it is good to change and let go of what was...

Some of us prefer communicating face to face and [gasp!] by telephone. Nothing to do with LCS which I have only been to twice.

The point is that life is changing and people move to other ways to get the information they need.. one, person not changing makes no difference..  When I came here people were communicating by telephone when they had one, next came the cell phone and now whatsapp.. most artisans skipped the e-mail stage.. if you do not change, you get left behind. Nothing to do with LCS?? People went to LCS to socialize and get information.. many people have moved on to social media and other things hence ..LCS membership is shrinking.. Institution can become obsolete and not serve the need any longer and die.. that is what happens. Nothing to do with you wanting to communicate face to face  ..

• Like 1