Chapala.com Webboard

Pueblo Magico Again?

Mainecoons

The bridges get fixed up over the centuries..do not believe for one minute that they last that many centuries  without any work being done on them. We have Roman work in the south of France, actually we have some Roman ruin in Paris and without fixing they fall apart eventually..

• Like 2

3 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

It is amazing how many examples there are in Europe of the roads built by the Romans. The quality and craftmanship is outstanding. Maybe the city could send a Jefe or two to study their technique!!!

The secret the Romans found was to take care in building the roadbeds with enough gravel and sand to reduce the effect of vibration. The roads here in Mexico are being rattled to death. They also used a special mix of concrete, originally called Roman Cement, but now more commonly called pozzolan cement. It uses the fine, glass like micro shards found in volcanic ash, which adds high strength and low cracking to the mix. You can see examples of it in the bridge pillars of the new southern Guadalajara bypass. It has a light tan color. I have no idea whether they found a source in Mexico. In Vancouver, for their elevated train project, they imported pozzolan from Italy. They can also use fly ash, a byproduct of coal burning, or burnt rice husks.

It was just solid engineering. Today a single piece of construction equipment can do the work of thousands of slaves. The slaves in Mexico are the hardworking taxpayers who pay for it, then get bad engineering, and have to keep working to fix everything. Look at the state of infrastructurw in the U.S.A - trilliions of $ required.

chillin , I doubt very much that there are more slaves than ever when lavery was widely acccepted  and was instutionalized  Sorry Chillin , you are way off on that one.

In Mexico I have een Maya.. bud local roads and believe me, they are no great shake and the work is never finished as they ask for cooperation to every car that goes buy when they are working.. Thank God they do not work every day.   THere is a road befor you get to San ANdres Larrainzar ever since I moved to the area in 2004, stilll not finshed.

14 hours ago, bmh said:

chillin , I doubt very much that there are more slaves than ever when lavery was widely acccepted  and was instutionalized  Sorry Chillin , you are way off on that one.

In Mexico I have een Maya.. bud local roads and believe me, they are no great shake and the work is never finished as they ask for cooperation to every car that goes buy when they are working.. Thank God they do not work every day.   THere is a road befor you get to San ANdres Larrainzar ever since I moved to the area in 2004, stilll not finshed.

I think Chillin is correct, there are more slaves today than at any other point in history. How many humans are indentured in Saudi Arabia? Poor foreign workers have their passports held and wages confiscated, are beaten and killed with no recourse. Millions in Asia, Africa and Latin America work in apaulling conditions to support a starvation life style.  The difference is that the slave owner class no longer has to protect their slaves, they just discard them and get new ones. Whether its a percentage rise in our earthly population or just in number of people,its more. And we're not even talking about wage slaves who work dangerous, unhealthy, unsatisfying jobs, trapped in a hopeless life style controlled by faceless corporations, don't get me started....the Plantation is alive and well.  

I think you guys are changing the definition of slavery... Slaves could be bought and sold and killed  and no one cared.. There are some slaves in Africa  that are being bought and sold, this has always existed, The prisoners of wars were enslaved and sold to Arab traders so nothing much has changed except that the actual selling of people is way down.. Now if you are talking about people who are exploited, help  prisoners and used and misused,, they are millions, no doubt about that-There were also a good number of indentured servants in the good old days not unlike what you find in Saudi Arabia and other Arabic states, Asia, Latin America  and ometimes in the States and Europe..