Chapala.com Webboard

Pueblo Magico Again?

Mainecoons

21 minutes ago, Bisbee Gal said:

While there has been no federal funding for 2 years, this article says Jalisco has given money to Pueblo Mágicos  (google translate, use your imagination). 

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=es&tl=en&u=https://www.jalisco.gob.mx/es/prensa/noticias/117188

“In the context of the Covid-19 pandemic, the official announcement that we have a new Magic Town in Jalisco is good news for the economic reactivation, not only in Ajijic, but for all the municipalities on the shore of Lake Chapala , the largest in Mexico. This appointment motivates us to continue working with greater force to make tourism a trigger for economic development for Jalisco and the country, "said the head of the agency," said the head of the agency.

Despite the fact that the federal program of Magical Towns has not had resources from the federal government in 2019 and 2020, the Government of Jalisco, through Secturjal, has allocated 36 million pesos in the same period.

With this appointment, Jalisco endorses its leadership as a tourist power in Mexico, and its commitment to continue promoting rural tourism, which is one of the strengths of the state.

Among the documentation requested by the federal Sectur to seek an appointment is inventory updates, tourism service providers, municipal issues such as health and environmental safety, security and comprehensive protection of tourists, integration of value chains, participation of the private sector, training , certificates, management and exercise of budgetary resources for the development of urban infrastructure related to tourism, among others.

To know:

- Ajijic is a town in the Ribera de Chapala.

- Its name comes from the Nahuatl word Axixic, which means "place where the water flows."

- It is located just 40 minutes from the Guadalajara Metropolitan Area, along a modern highway, at the foot of the mountains and bathed by the largest lake in Mexico, Lake Chapala.

- In this tourist destination in Jalisco, the colonial architecture of an authentic Mexican town, and the modernity and quality of its tourist services come together. Currently, it has 78 accommodation companies.

- Ajijic is full of color thanks to its murals and cobbled streets, restaurants, galleries, textile shops, inns, cafes and bars. It has 136 food and beverage establishments, 2 specialized service operators and a travel agency.

- It is recognized for its religious festivities, for the carnival of the Sayacas and for a myriad of artistic and cultural activities.

- The artistic community has made this destination a place of rest for creation, inspiration and connection with nature.

- Among the tourist activities, horseback riding through its tree-lined streets to admire its architecture; walks along the boardwalk, from where you can see spectacular sunsets, and boat tours on the lake, admiring its natural beauty.

- Another quality that characterizes it is its microclimate, which is pleasant most of the year. Therefore, there is a community of Americans and Canadians who have decided to reside in the place, making it a cosmopolitan area, full of cultural and artistic life.

Post of the day.  Thanks Bisbee.

• Like 1

I am inspired now to make a bid to be designated Chillin Magico. Entertain visitors with my wit and bon homie, taking extra care to keep nose and ear hairs carefully trimmed. Only other minor taxpayer expenses mostly involve keeping my wine cellar and liquor cabinet well stocked. So how about it? Do you want to see some magic? 😇😇😇😇😇

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, HoneyBee said:

Well crime reporting is not permitted on this board so I suggest you read todays Informador. The title of the article is "Ajijic H.......on its first day as a pueblo magic".😩

Problem with this report is it happened in San Antonio Tlayacapan's strip mall on the libramiento. It appears he came out of Charlotte's. Check Semanaria Laguna for info and picture.

• Thanks 1

I am always suspicious of these kinds of programs where people from far away can dictate local life right down to the color you can paint your house, getting rid of local vendors in the name of cleaning up, whether you are exposed to 5G technology, what else? I was surprised how quickly this status was pushed through with negligible local participation or review.  What are we signed up for?  Is there a master plan? Who gets the money?  What is the oversight organization and how much power do they hold? 

As far as I am concerned Ajijic has been, is now and hopefully will be a magical town filled with magical people. I love and appreciate this town and its people more each year and I've been here 20. " We don't need to show you no stinking badges.."

If I was to propose one idea it would be to put in a local parking lot/transit hub with regular golfcart loop through town. The perfect spot is a large vacant lot that runs between the Carretera frontage road and Guadalupe Victoria near Farmacia Guadalajara.  It has easy access on both sides and a bus top.The family that owns it has a big sign for sale or rent, so maybe a deal could be made. This would relieve some parking congestion and some people simply will not come to Ajijic if they can't park within a block of the plaza. This way they can park easily and securely and be carted to the plaza, malecon and around back to the transit hub. Anyone want to offer an opinion? I shudden a asked.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:

I could reply but my mother said it was rude to laugh at the handicapped.

One thing that I consider an important ability of mine, is that I can laugh at myself. A person that can't do that is one that I consider "handicapped".-SNORK!

pedro kertesz

1 hour ago, cafemediterraneo said:

I am always suspicious of these kinds of programs where people from far away can dictate local life right down to the color you can paint your house, getting rid of local vendors in the name of cleaning up, whether you are exposed to 5G technology, what else? I was surprised how quickly this status was pushed through with negligible local participation or review.  What are we signed up for?  Is there a master plan? Who gets the money?  What is the oversight organization and how much power do they hold? 

As far as I am concerned Ajijic has been, is now and hopefully will be a magical town filled with magical people. I love and appreciate this town and its people more each year and I've been here 20. " We don't need to show you no stinking badges.."

If I was to propose one idea it would be to put in a local parking lot/transit hub with regular golfcart loop through town. The perfect spot is a large vacant lot that runs between the Carretera frontage road and Guadalupe Victoria near Farmacia Guadalajara.  It has easy access on both sides and a bus top.The family that owns it has a big sign for sale or rent, so maybe a deal could be made. This would relieve some parking congestion and some people simply will not come to Ajijic if they can't park within a block of the plaza. This way they can park easily and securely and be carted to the plaza, malecon and around back to the transit hub. Anyone want to offer an opinion? I shudden a asked.....

The criteria for qualifying and the requirements for keeping the status, vary with each city or village.  I have read but cannot confirm, that homogenous building colors are NOT a requirement for Ajijic; in fact the announcement of its designation specifically cited Ajijic's murals and artistic community.  Other Pueblo Magicos with strong artistic communities such as Bernal and Tequisquiapan remain full of colorful buildings.  

From what I've read, the designation can be (and has been) revoked if the city or village does not retain the criteria for which the designation was granted.  Since Ajijic's designation cites its colonial atmosphere, one can only hope that it may put a lid on recent overdevelopment and maybe force the city to actually enforce its height restrictions, at least in the lower village. 

Though we all know that $$$ talks when the conversation is between developers and the city government.  😎😎😎

• Like 1

Just a question.... does not the designation 'only' apply to Ajijic proper?  As such are San Antonio and Riberas and other similar 'locations'  not included?  

There isn't really much development going on in Ajijic proper.... assuming that I even know what "Ajijic proper" actually means.

4 hours ago, RickS said:

Just a question.... does not the designation 'only' apply to Ajijic proper?  As such are San Antonio and Riberas and other similar 'locations'  not included?  

There isn't really much development going on in Ajijic proper.... assuming that I even know what "Ajijic proper" actually means.

The Ajijic Delegación stretches from La Floresta to the Jocotepec Municipio line near La Crisrina, and S. to N. from  the Lake to Ixtlahuacán Municipio line.

SAT is a separate delegación and Riberas is just a fraccionamiento within the Delegación of Chapala.

All these delegaciones, plus others, are part of the Municipio of Chapala. 

I don´t think all the delegaciones (6) of the Municipio are included in the Pueblo Mágico.

5 hours ago, RickS said:

Re development in Ajijic proper.... how about the 14 condos being built on the north side of Independencia between Juarez and Pedro Moreno. And on the  north end of that property on Ocampo - 5 houses.  Then on Ocampo just east of Aquiles Serdan - another 10 condos.  Major development from my point of view  and too close for comfort.

My employee said  BUT senora,,,, there's no water, etc etc etc....Infrastructure for 29 residences within a two block area.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, RickS said:

Wow, when was the last time you walked around lower Ajijic??? 

Those of you who drive along the streets won't see or hear the construction projects going on behind a gate that only opens to allow in cement trucks, backhoes and tree cutters (and the tree cutters are usually there on Sundays, perhaps because they have no permits).  

• Like 5

I have a retired contractor buddy in Albuquerque who did quite well building homes there and never got caught in a down cycle.  He said his secret was simple, when everyone started doing it he stopped and started doing industrial or infrastructure work.  He got to watch time and time again as the overbuilders lost their shirts.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

I have a retired contractor buddy in Albuquerque who did quite well building homes there and never got caught in a down cycle.  He said his secret was simple, when everyone started doing it he stopped and started doing industrial or infrastructure work.  He got to watch time and time again as the overbuilders lost their shirts.

Herd mentality. Can also apply to the stock market.

11 hours ago, AngusMactavish said:

Another stable genius.   

Yes I am genius enough to suggest that you deserve the title of "stable genius". It's interesting how you and some others project your foibles onto someone else. Fortunately your problem is only a borderline disorder and is of no consequence to those of us that are perfect.-SNORK!

pedro kertesz

13 minutes ago, happyjillin said:

Yes I am genius enough to suggest that you deserve the title of "stable genius". It's interesting how you and some others project your foibles onto someone else. Fortunately your problem is only a borderline disorder and is of no consequence to those of us that are perfect.-SNORK!

pedro kertesz

Ya buddy!