Chapala.com Webboard

Pueblo Magico Again?

Mainecoons

Anyone heard about this?  Two postings on Ajijic News Facebook Page by a Kristina Morgan Meadows:

From Friends of Ajijic, this December 1st Ajijic will officially be named a Pueblo Magico. There are many doubts about it and here we will be sharing the progress and information of the process.
Ajijic our beloved people deserve that together we take a challenge that begins working together without partisan flags but with the shield that represents our delegation.
Let's take a big step together, I invite you to inform us so we can really comment on it and not get carried away by what someone told us, what do you think if we better learn first and get all the doubts we have?
With great pleasure we seek the answers, the idea is to look for the positive side and find a way for our people and our people to benefit and only together will we make it!
Because together it's better!

--------------------------------

Pueblos Magic of Jalisco: WELCOME to AJIJIC!
Next Magical town of Jalisco!
During a tour of the southeast region of Jalisco, Governor Enrique Alfaro Ramírez announced that in the coming days, Ajijic will be named a Pueblo Magico or Magic Town to generate more opportunities for trade, development and tourism in the municipality.
The Governor announced the rehabilitation of schools, health centers and the cultural center of Ajijic, in order to make it "one of the most beautiful places in Jalisco."
Congratulations Ajijic!

AMLO deleted every aspect of the federal government's Pueblo Magico program early in 2019. No yearly budget/money for any of them anymore or federal agency left to do anything. It no longer exists.

I would suspect if this is true it is a Jalisco State Pueblo Magico [whatever that is] not an official federal Pueblo Magico by the federal government where you see large signs and advertisements when visiting one.

• Thanks 1

A federal program for Magic Towns is definitely still in place, as shown by this official publication of the basics in the Diario Oficial de la Federacón in March 2020: https://www.dof.gob.mx/nota_detalle.php?codigo=5588815&fecha=10/03/2020

Whether or not Ajijic being awarded Magic Town status (if that is what does indeed happen) is a good thing or a not-so-good thing is an entirely different matter.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, tonyburton said:

A federal program for Magic Towns is definitely still in place, as shown by this official publication of the basics in the Diario Oficial de la Federacón in March 2020: https://www.dof.gob.mx/nota_detalle.php?codigo=5588815&fecha=10/03/2020

Whether or not Ajijic being awarded Magic Town status (if that is what does indeed happen) is a good thing or a not-so-good thing is an entirely different matter.

This was in 2019. Article posted below.

2020 see the second news article below for another budget and your reference was posted officially there on March 10, 2020. Looks like the federal government did not delet the program and administer it but without any budget/money for the "Pueblo Magico/s".

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.eluniversal.com.mx/nacion/sociedad/dejan-sin-recursos-121-pueblos-magicos-de-mexico%3famp

Google Translation:

"LEFT WITHOUT RESOURCES TO 121 MAGICAL TOWNS OF MEXICO

The 2019 Budget project does not include resources for locations with this recognition

(Photo: EL UNIVERSAL ARCHIVE / Guillermo Gónzalez)

12/21/2018 00:17

Angel Delgado

In 2019, the 121 Magical Towns of Mexico could be left without federal support, since the 2019 Federation Expenditure Budget Project does not include resources for the Sustainable Tourism Regional Development Program and Magical Towns (Prodermágico), leaving the localities with said recognition adrift.

The Secretary of Tourism, Miguel Torruco Marqués, confirmed the disappearance of Promagico. He argued that the federal government seeks, with this action, that the entities and municipalities called Pueblos Mágicos invest resources in their own structure and promotion.

Despite the fact that the Secretary of Tourism (Sectur) will have an increase of 124% in its budget for 2019, to promote the construction of the Mayan Train, the supports labeled for Prodermágico disappear and uncertainty about tourism development and the flow of economic spillover increases. in these Magical Towns.

In 2018 alone, the federal government allocated 586 million pesos to the program that began operating in 2001, during Vicente Fox's six-year term. The program was born with the purpose of strengthening the strategies of national and international tourism offer in the country and granted a subsidy for the execution of works and services.

The State of Mexico, Guanajuato, Hidalgo, Jalisco, Michoacán, Puebla, Querétaro, Veracruz and Zacatecas are the entities most affected by the disappearance of this federal program. These nine states are home to half of the Magic Towns of the country..."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.milenio.com/negocios/pueblos-magicos-se-quedarian-sin-recursos-en-2020

Google Translation:

"For the second year, Pueblos Mágicos would run out of resources in 2020

The last year that the Pueblos Mágicos received resources was in 2018 for 500 million pesos, whose objective was the construction of infrastructure and regulations.

The municipality of Tecozautla, fifth Magic Town of Hidalgo. Photo: (Archive)

ROBERTO VALADEZ

Mexico City / 09.09.2019 14:19:12

For the second consecutive year, the federal government would leave the Magic Towns program without resources in 2020, this despite requests from the private initiative and local authorities.

We recommend: Governor announces support of 49 million pesos for Magic Towns

Within the Draft Budget of Expenditures 2020 of the Ministry of Tourism, no capital is contemplated for this section, the same situation that happened in 2019.

The last year that the Pueblos Mágicos received resources was in 2018, when they were awarded 500 million pesos, which were aimed at building infrastructure and planning for these towns.

This program, which was created during the PAN administration of Vicente Fox, has 101 towns from various entities of the country and its objective is to diversify the offer of tourist products offered to travelers."

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

Anyone heard about this?  

See page 9 this week's GDL Reporter

Governor address villagers in soon to be upgraded Ajijic plaza

Published: 26 November 2020

Written by GR Staff

Jalisco Governor Enrique Alfaro was back for another working tour of the north shore Thursday, November 26 to check on the progress of state-funded projects in Chapala, Ajijic, San Juan Cosalá and Jocotepec.

At an open-air meeting in Ajijic with attendees masked and correctly spaced apart, Alfaro officially kicked off the renovations to the village’s main plaza, which, he said, will have an investment of 3.5 million pesos. During his stopover, Alfaro jumped the gun on federal authorities, revealing that Ajijic will be awarded Pueblo Mágico status even though the formal announcement of new members of the tourism elite won’t be formally announced until next week.

I hope Ajijic doesn't become a Magic Town. It would really lower the standard for Pueblo Magiocs and make the real Pueblo Magicos mean less. The majority of building in Ajijic centro would still be ugly.

• Like 2

Glad I moved to SAT a year ago.  I am sure it will be very nice in Ajijic but what a mess for quite a while.   Can you imagine the mess trying to put wires underground? Can't wait for the landlords to be told the colors to paint everything.   This will be like Carmel with lots of rules.  Not so nice for locals but I am sure the tourists will like it.

So any others feel like me or am I missing the boat?

the upgrade to the Ajijic plaza will be the replacement of the surface in front of the chapel through where the restaurant is. The upgrADE OF THE STREETS HAS BEEN REPEATEDLY BLOCKED BY A GROUP THAT WANTS THE VILLAGE to remain the same. Repeated suggestions to put paving blocks  like at the tiangus and the east/ west street Lazaro Cardinas (which has been in place without maintenance for close to 20 yeRS) have met demonstrations and defiance.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, lcscats said:

Glad I moved to SAT a year ago.  I am sure it will be very nice in Ajijic but what a mess for quite a while.   Can you imagine the mess trying to put wires underground? Can't wait for the landlords to be told the colors to paint everything.   This will be like Carmel with lots of rules.  Not so nice for locals but I am sure the tourists will like it.

So any others feel like me or am I missing the boat?

Regardless of what the "locals"  think...I think that the majority of "Gringos" would also like to be in "Camelot" and certain  enforcement of the present rules would be most welcome  and this could well apply to SAT with all its unregulated noise

• Like 2

What a shame if this is true. The infrastructure here cannot deal with the influx of people on the weekends now, it will like Semana Santa every day if this is true. It takes more than 15 minutes to drive maybe 2 -  3 Kilometers in Ajijic now, what will it be with all those additional cars? I stay away from Ajijic during the weekends now and it will probably result in my staying out of there the rest of the week. No great loss I guess, but will also no longer travel west of the libramiento. Sad, the poor locals will be driven out as well.

42 minutes ago, bournemouth said:

According to an item in last week's Guad. Reporter, the remodeling of the plaza will remove the outside dining area of Plaza Jardin restaurant.  I've always enjoyed eating in that spot, watching the world pass by.  It will be a loss.

To me the article was unclear on whether the closure of the outside dining at Jardin Plaza was permanent, or just during the renovations.  

As far as al fresco dining, now that the lake level is down and there is room for parking at the shoreline next to the Ajijic Pier, I wish they would bring back the anador on weekends.  

1 hour ago, Bisbee Gal said:

To me the article was unclear on whether the closure of the outside dining at Jardin Plaza was permanent, or just during the renovations.  

As far as al fresco dining, now that the lake level is down and there is room for parking at the shoreline next to the Ajijic Pier, I wish they would bring back the anador on weekends.  

I've never eaten inside at Jardin Plaza.  I would think that even having their outside dining closed for the usual months of bumbling construction would do them in.

OK I got this from the boss of the Jardin.  They don't know what is going to happen exactly but Issues like new water lines and new pavers of some kind may close it down but when its over they will open back up the outdoor seating.  They rent the space from Chapala and he said he will help lay stone if thats what it takes to get the outdoor space open. This was four days ago that I talked to him. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

Regardless of what the "locals"  think...I think that the majority of "Gringos" would also like to be in "Camelot" and certain  enforcement of the present rules would be most welcome  and this could well apply to SAT with all its unregulated noise

SAT is just fine thank you.  No need to regulate as far as I am concerned and I live near 4 eventos.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It amazes me that persons who repeatedly express hatred of Ajijic spread false rumors about the community. No trees have been removed, are being removed or will be removed during the construction work. i just spoke to Juan Ramon Flores Delegado as the source for this information!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

31 minutes ago, #HarryB said:

It amazes me that persons who repeatedly express hatred of Ajijic spread false rumors about the community. No trees have been removed, are being removed or will be removed during the construction work. i just spoke to Juan Ramon Flores Delegado as the source for this information!

I thought the trees being removed referred to the Chapala plaza.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4